Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TCS RACERS

The 2014 TCS Finals entry form is now LIVE! Please submit your entry form here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/entry/161.php

Entries close on Sunday at midnight August 17th. If you would like to receive your personalized “Driver” pit pass with your name on it YOU must register before the deadline. Also, if you want to receive your 20th Anniversary Tamiya give away you must also enter before the deadline.
The 4 “Ticket to Japan” classes are: GT-1, GT-2, F-1 and M-Chassis. You may only enter one “Ticket to Japan” class. You must also make sure you have qualified in the appropriate “Ticket to Japan” class. Check here for eligibly: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/tcs.php?article-id=554

All racers may enter up to 3 classes provided you are eligible for the exhibition or “non-ticket to Japan” classes and you are not entering more than one “Ticket to Japan” class.

Note: A person who signs up for the Spec GT (Novice) class may only race one class.

Examples on what possible entries may look like:

A person who enters GT-1 may only enter 1/12 GT and FWD as their 2nd and 3rd classes.

A person who enters GT-2 may only enter 1/12 GT and FWD as their 2nd and 3rd classes.

In short, your second and third class entry must match your TCS Drivers’ License eligibility.

You do not have to enter a “Ticket to Japan” class. Some racers may elect to participate in three “non-ticket to Japan” classes. It’s possible for someone to enter GT-3, 1/12 GT and FWD provided they’re eligible for the classes.

Good luck to everyone! Make sure to sign up quickly to receive your FREE goodies!!

P.S. Your 20th Anniversary TCS race announcer will be Charlie Suangka! This will allow me to make sure the event and TECH are run like a well oiled machine!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Jackson, NJ TCS race

TCS pics

Last edited by J-milz; 07-28-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'd love to have one of those corvettes....

Signed up for FF and GT2. See you guys at the track!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
The solution I am looking at will remove any doubt that the insert is or isn't glued together.

Speaking of which...do you guys use normal contact or rubber cement to glue the foam insert to each other?
At the Tamiya World Championships I glued Bensi's tires with the supplied Tamiya "official" rubber cement. It looked like normal rubber cement to me.
Weldwood Contact Cement - small bottles available from Home Depot Aliso Viejo. Back in the day of having to make your own inserts, I used it to cement together either the cut apart and shortened molded foam sedan inserts, as well as the more open cell strips. Never had an insert come apart. Only a light coating needed so you don't get a hard spot in the insert.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default 2014 TCS Finals Best of Show/Concourse

Hey guys!

Don’t forget to finish, or dig out that concourse body you have buried away in a box somewhere, and bring it out to the TCS Finals to compete in our Best of Show/Concourse competition at the start of the weekend. We’ll be awarding a winner in the F1, Mini, 1/12th and GT (all sedans from all classes). See rules here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/tcs.php?article-id=525

We’re doing things a little differently this year compared to all previous years; it will no longer be the dubbed “Fred’s Choice Awards” as I’m taking on a more objective approach and judging by means of criteria and a points system. There will be 3 or 4 judges critiquing your cars.

In addition to the 4 prize winners, we will be doing a “Racer’s Choice” Grand Prize that will be awarded during the closing presentation. Throughout the weekend, each racer will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite of the 4, and a grand prize will be awarded to the “Best of the Best of Show”.

Otherwise, we're looking forward to a great weekend of racing!

Last edited by EricP; 07-29-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Fred:

Two questions / warning highlight on Batteries for 2014 Finals:

Question 1: Your 2014 TCS finals documents says that batteries "must be TCS legal AND on the ROAR APPROVED list." No exception is indicated to that 2014 finals document statement. M03 won't take anything but a rounded stick pack. Rule 19d of the general TCS rules allows M-chassis to use any non ROAR Sport stick packs: "19d. NOTE: Despite the ROAR approved list, Sport Packs (round case batteries) used in the M-Chassis class such as the M03 and M05 are not required to meet ROAR approval. All TCS legal LIPOS must have a Molded Plastic, Hard Case! Soft case packs are not legal for the TCS series." Therefore, are M-Chassis allowed to run any Sport pack hard round case lipo for 2014 finals? I assume you meant to continue that M-chassis exception.

Question #2: BUYER BEWARE of BATTERIES BEARING STICKERS "ROAR APPROVED"

It has just recently come to my attention (when I was about to buy a new battery for Finals) that lipo batteries that are actually on the ROAR APPROVED list and lipo batteries with a "ROAR APPROVED" label on them are two different things. It seems that a fair number of manufacturers have placed "ROAR APPROVED" labels on batteries that are not actually on the "ROAR APPROVED" list, batteries that are not yet "ROAR APPROVED." Not only are they putting these labels on batteries that have not made it through the approval process, but the manufacturers are marketing them at their websites as "ROAR APPROVED" when they are not as yet, or even not submitted as yet. (Set aside for now the question of ethics / blatant misrepresentation tactics of such manufacturers.)

Before some of us arrive to CA and tech with batteries that have ROAR APPROVED stickers on them only to find that they are not on the actual list (which is specific to capacity, rating and model #), or others of us go out now and perhaps needlessly spend money on new batteries searching to find ones that are actually ROAR APPROVED, what is your official tech position on batteries? The manufacturers who are playing fast and loose with the "ROAR APPROVED" stickers are not limited to the fly by night operators. Companies that already have some specific batteries models that are on the actual "ROAR APPROVED" list have other batteries now out on the dealer shelves with the "ROAR APPROVED" sticker which haven't been even been submitted to or approved by ROAR as yet. (I personally saw VENOM batteries just last week with the ROAR APPROVED sticker but no actual approval, a battery that their website blatantly misrepresents and markets as "ROAR APPROVED." I emailed Venom asking what was up and they actually admitted to me in an email that the batteries haven't been approved yet and won't be before Finals. I contacted ROAR and they advised me that they are aware of a whole "rash" of such misrepresentations of late by manufacturers.)

Are you going to go 100% by the ROAR APPROVED battery list alone with NO exceptions, ignore any "ROAR APPROVED" labels, and thereby plan to disqualify people who show up and have batteries that have a ROAR APPROVED label on them that are not actually on the ROAR APPROVED list? Better to solve a rule problem now or make everyone aware of the rule issue beforehand so as to not have a blow up at tech.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
Fred:

Two questions / warning highlight on Batteries for 2014 Finals:

Question 1: Your 2014 TCS finals documents says that batteries "must be TCS legal AND on the ROAR APPROVED list." No exception is indicated to that 2014 finals document statement. M03 won't take anything but a rounded stick pack. Rule 19d of the general TCS rules allows M-chassis to use any non ROAR Sport stick packs: "19d. NOTE: Despite the ROAR approved list, Sport Packs (round case batteries) used in the M-Chassis class such as the M03 and M05 are not required to meet ROAR approval. All TCS legal LIPOS must have a Molded Plastic, Hard Case! Soft case packs are not legal for the TCS series." Therefore, are M-Chassis allowed to run any Sport pack hard round case lipo for 2014 finals? I assume you meant to continue that M-chassis exception.

Question #2: BUYER BEWARE of BATTERIES BEARING STICKERS "ROAR APPROVED"

It has just recently come to my attention (when I was about to buy a new battery for Finals) that lipo batteries that are actually on the ROAR APPROVED list and lipo batteries with a "ROAR APPROVED" label on them are two different things. It seems that a fair number of manufacturers have placed "ROAR APPROVED" labels on batteries that are not actually on the "ROAR APPROVED" list, batteries that are not yet "ROAR APPROVED." Not only are they putting these labels on batteries that have not made it through the approval process, but the manufacturers are marketing them at their websites as "ROAR APPROVED" when they are not as yet, or even not submitted as yet. (Set aside for now the question of ethics / blatant misrepresentation tactics of such manufacturers.)

Before some of us arrive to CA and tech with batteries that have ROAR APPROVED stickers on them only to find that they are not on the actual list (which is specific to capacity, rating and model #), or others of us go out now and perhaps needlessly spend money on new batteries searching to find ones that are actually ROAR APPROVED, what is your official tech position on batteries? The manufacturers who are playing fast and loose with the "ROAR APPROVED" stickers are not limited to the fly by night operators. Companies that already have some specific batteries models that are on the actual "ROAR APPROVED" list have other batteries now out on the dealer shelves with the "ROAR APPROVED" sticker which haven't been even been submitted to or approved by ROAR as yet. (I personally saw VENOM batteries just last week with the ROAR APPROVED sticker but no actual approval, a battery that their website blatantly misrepresents and markets as "ROAR APPROVED." I emailed Venom asking what was up and they actually admitted to me in an email that the batteries haven't been approved yet and won't be before Finals. I contacted ROAR and they advised me that they are aware of a whole "rash" of such misrepresentations of late by manufacturers.)

Are you going to go 100% by the ROAR APPROVED battery list alone with NO exceptions, ignore any "ROAR APPROVED" labels, and thereby plan to disqualify people who show up and have batteries that have a ROAR APPROVED label on them that are not actually on the ROAR APPROVED list? Better to solve a rule problem now or make everyone aware of the rule issue beforehand so as to not have a blow up at tech.

Thanks.
1. I'm not sure where the confusion lies here: d. NOTE: Despite the ROAR approved list, Sport Packs (round case batteries) used in the M-Chassis class such as the M03 and M05 are not required to meet ROAR approval. All TCS legal LIPOS must have a Molded Plastic, Hard Case! Soft case packs are not legal for the TCS series.

Yes, you may continue to use "sport" packs for the M-chassis class. They do not have to be ROAR approved, but they must be hard cased.

2. Shame on any manufacture that put on ROAR labels before they are actually approved! My suggestion is for everyone to do their due diligence in getting true approved batteries. We will do our best to be on top of what is legal to help anyone with any concerns.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Please avail yourselves of the ROAR approved batteries list here:
http://roarracing.org/approved_lipo_batteries.php
Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Fred.

I agree, SHAME on manufacturers for blatant misrepresentations of ROAR APPROVED status. The only reason that I paused (thankfully) on buying that misrepresented battery from VENOM Racing is that next to it were Team Orion batteries, older ones with a ROAR APPROVED label, right next to the newer ones (higher C rating) from Orion that were accurately labeled as "meeting ROAR specifications." Team Orion took the honorable route, no misrepresentation, and will likely be putting a ROAR APPROVED label on them once they are actually approved. Team Orion - good for you. Venom Racing - BAD!

But I think you have answered the question - if someone shows up for a non mini class with a ROAR APPROVED sticker on a battery, but the battery is not on the actual ROAR APPROVED list, the answer is they are disqualified.

As for question #1, I suspected you wanted to revert to the General rule for mini (round non ROAR packs legal for mini), but that the dang lawyer in me was reading the conjunction AND in your 2014 finals manual (TCS legal AND Roar Approved, no class exception listed).

Last edited by minidriver; 07-29-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://www.roarracing.com/approved_lipo_batteries.php

Here is the list, check it twice... as we've been doing for the last couple-few years.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

I've heard this nasty rumor about Pre-Labeling with ROAR designation.. My jaw dropped when I first heard it. There is more to the story and details.

But in the end I ckeck the list to make sure the choices I made were indeed on the list.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by OSherman
I've heard this nasty rumor about Pre-Labeling with ROAR designation.. My jaw dropped when I first heard it. There is more to the story and details.

But in the end I ckeck the list to make sure the choices I made were indeed on the list.
Ah yes, Orlando, it seems that there is more to the story. Whether it is Venom trying to cover their tracks, or just Venom correcting an error, is left to the reader to discern.

Orlando, your post caused me to go back and see what Venom is now (as of 7/29/14) advertising their batteries as. As of 7/21/14, just 8 days ago, the 100C line of Venom batteries all had in their website TITLE and item description as "ROAR APPROVED." I did not take a screen grab of the Venom site as it existed on 7/21/14 as evidence- dang. But I do have the link from 7/21/14 that speaks for itself:
http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug

(Sorry guys, the posting program shortens the original URL with says "roar-approved-with uni-plug.)

As of tonight, I now discover Venom no longer lists them as "ROAR APPROVED". But of course the stack of Venom 100C 2S batteries in the LHS case (Lake in the Hills IL Hobbytown for example) still bear the original packaging and stickers from Venom declaring the batteries "ROAR APPROVED." Kind of hard to cover their tracks with that packaging sticker on the package sitting in the local hobby shop, where the battery has now left Venom's "guilty" hands.

I emailed Venom on 7/21/14, pointing out to them the "ROAR APPROVED" stickers on the apparently non approved product, sent them their link to product description of "ROAR APPROVED" and asked them if it was actually ROAR APPROVED (and therefore a ROAR screw up) or Venom's screw up, and got the following email admission back from Venom:

"Hi David W.,
A new answer to your question has been received.
Q: You list this as ROAR approved, but I don't see this 100C battery on the ROAR approved battery list as yet. When was this particular battery given ROAR approval - or is it just to ROAR specs, awaiting formal approval?
2014-07-21
A: Hello David,<br /> This battery is waiting approval for ROAR use. We are expecting this approval upon receiving these batteries by the end of September.<br /><br />Thank you
2014-07-21"

Between then and now, let's see what happened.

After getting the admission of misrepresentation from Venom, I brought the blatant misrepresentation to the attention of ROAR's technical director Rob King, also on 7/22/14. It was from Rob King I also learned by email of 7/22/14 that:

"a rash of battery manufacturers marking their batteries as ROAR approved without any approval. In fact, Trinity's square shaped battery pack for offroad cars has ROAR approved stickers, despite the fact that that shape of battery is currently illegal, let alone inspected and approved."

Hmm, I guess ROAR didn't like it either!

I in fact had suggested to ROAR (email to Rob King, ROAR technical director, 7/22/14) that maybe they ROAR tell misrepresenting manufacturers like Venom that they clean up their act on approval status/stickers or have a potential penalty of ROAR refusing to review for ROAR approval their products for a penalty period of like a year. ROAR doesn't have the money to take on full blown offensive legal battles, but ROAR can still apply no expense "self help" remedies like such a penalty to bring an offending manufacturer back in line.

And now you have Venom's website no longer misrepresenting their battery status with ROAR.

Hmmm - I guess someone might say "Mission Accomplished."

Come on manufacturers - it is just plain wrong to misrepresent your product. Stop it now.

Now, maybe their is a longer term solution to this that might help ROAR and manufacturers. The ROAR approval process takes some time I believe, and in the hyper competitive retail environment, the wait for approval may seem interminable in product marketing times. How does a manufacturer put a product to market, and only later, add "ROAR APPROVAL" to their packaging. Do they sit on their product and not market while awaiting for ROAR approval, by which time the product may be partial or fully obsolete? The product cycle is pretty short. Maybe, and maybe I'm all wrong, maybe ROAR might want to decide that certain products (batteries) are "simple" upgrades. (Clearly, brushless motors are not - witness the Trinity D3.5 issue, nor are ESC's in blinky mode.) But battery upgrades, where all that is constantly changing are, to this writer's view, capacity and C ratings. Maybe ROAR could give an "ROAR APPROVAL" designation to a LINE of batteries, with the manufacturer submitting the first in the line of batteries for approval to ROAR, and ROAR give automatic approvals for the manufacturer to give the designation "ROAR APPROVED" to that and subsequent upgrades upon the manufacturer's promise to keep the battery within specs, and manufacturer to submit all upgraded capacity/c rating versions to ROAR for inspection and possible ROAR withdrawal of approval if inspection later found that the item to violates ROAR rules. Might be a possibility that would make ROAR and manufacturers happy, and keep us consumers of the product protected.

I have the emails to back up my facts if anyone is concerned about the accuracy of the recitation of facts.

Looking forward to 2014 TCS Nationals - see ya all there!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Looking for RED STUFF.

A few years ago someone, I don't remember who, was selling a tire sauce around the Aliso Viejo track. I call it "RED STUFF". Pretty small clear container of about 3 ounces, red fluid in color, fairly thick composition, relatively odor free. Rod Canare maybe? Anyway, I looking to get some more, but I don't know who was making it or who might have it.

Yes, I know it won't be legal at 2014 Nationals, but it has proved quite useful for local asphalt racing.

Any help locating some would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

That was TyreePhillips who made and sold the red sauce... And it was AWESOME
Old 07-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

as far as what I heard about the pre-labeling... If you reword your story a bit and change perspective you will get your answer. I know I was REALLY shocked when I heard the details. Hahaha

In the end.. SHAME on the manufacturer for selling any product with such labeling before 'official approval' regardless of the "process".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.