Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sohlman
In the spirit of TCS, let's just go out and have fun racing.

And if you need a batt, silver can, Tekin FX, or 21.5…I have extras. Come see me at the Jackson race. They're FREE.
Now theres a Gentleman!!!
Hope to meet you Sunday Steve

Mike
Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
The problem isn't the rules, the problem is the people trying to get around the rules. Every rule ever written was to stop people from doing something they weren't supposed to do in the first place.
Jim, what are you talking about - no one is trying go around the rules, we're just trying to understand exactly what is the rule? You sound like some jackass banking regulator I deal with on a daily basis. I love it when guys make blanket statements that if someone has a competitive advantage he must be circumventing the rules. The rules can never address every possible what if scenario. You can stay within the rules and still find something not addressed - is that trying to get around the rules? Does removing the bearing shields from ball bearing going around the rules? Does balancing the chassis going around the rules?

He's the problem, you now an upcoming TCS races with a ruling that is different than the official rule book. As OSherman pointed out, John's post earlier is open for interpretation as he was asking for feedback from those attending. The Tamiya rule book does not have a "c" limitation on the battery packs for Mini other than not changing the chassis to accommodate a battery shape. With an unforeseen consequence, Fred and Tamiya who both run a great program have at the same time change the face of TCS Mini Cooper racing drastically. (i.e.: brushless systems) I've always said I wish Tamiya released a spec motor and speedo before switching to brushless. Although I've purchase a $60 stock spec speedo to minimize the cost of conversion, the additional cost for various 21.5 motors far exceeds the cost of even a jacked up silver can.

The issue is the battery pack and what's permitted. I have both the 50c and higher packs to race, but I'm posting this for those guys I've heard say they are not attending the race because of the 50c rule. At a minimum I was hoping to hear john would some packs available to purchase at the track if the 50c rule is enforced. To the guys not attending the race because of the 50c rule I offered to buy them battery packs to enhance their TCS experience and the participation. But we still don't know?

To Steve's point, yes this is suppose to be fun. But its no fun trying to make sure you're race ready and rule compliant if the rules change. Fortunately, I enjoy building kits more than racing as I only purchased the M05v2 because I feared the M03 may not be TCS legal in 2015 and beyond … now even that may not be the case?

Thanks for firing me up! Really its was some dumb ass bank regulator I deal with on a daily basis. My fun this weekend will be watching my 5 & 7 year old crash test a TT-01 in the Novice class, which but the way is the best TCS class offered - just run the car out of the box, stock speedo and motor!

Jim, I hope to see you there, Steve will have the machine Tequilla flowing
Old 07-24-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Hello everyone,

I have also heard the "voices" in my head regarding the Mini tires and the inserts not being glued. I am looking at an alternative to ease everyone's worry and dismay.

Thank you all for your feedback.
Thanks Fred. In formulating your alternative, I have the following comments.

The insert not being glued / separated / flat spot tire is a two fold issue.

1) Tires in the package without any use can have separated insert with resulting flat spot in tire. I just went to my local hobby shop to purchase 1016's to use for practice at upcoming Nationals. Four brand new sets on the wall - 2 OK, 2 with separated insert/flat spot tire, as easily felt through the packaging.

2) Insert separation after normal use - it is not from abuse. Unpredictable if a set will separate with normal use. So even if handout tire inspected before distribution and it has no separation of insert new, it can occur with normal use thereafter.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:09 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by minidriver
Thanks Fred. In formulating your alternative, I have the following comments.

The insert not being glued / separated / flat spot tire is a two fold issue.

1) Tires in the package without any use can have separated insert with resulting flat spot in tire. I just went to my local hobby shop to purchase 1016's to use for practice at upcoming Nationals. Four brand new sets on the wall - 2 OK, 2 with separated insert/flat spot tire, as easily felt through the packaging.

2) Insert separation after normal use - it is not from abuse. Unpredictable if a set will separate with normal use. So even if handout tire inspected before distribution and it has no separation of insert new, it can occur with normal use thereafter.

Thanks.
The solution I am looking at will remove any doubt that the insert is or isn't glued together.

Speaking of which...do you guys use normal contact or rubber cement to glue the foam insert to each other?
At the Tamiya World Championships I glued Bensi's tires with the supplied Tamiya "official" rubber cement. It looked like normal rubber cement to me.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
The solution I am looking at will remove any doubt that the insert is or isn't glued together.

Speaking of which...do you guys use normal contact or rubber cement to glue the foam insert to each other?
At the Tamiya World Championships I glued Bensi's tires with the supplied Tamiya "official" rubber cement. It looked like normal rubber cement to me.
Short of using an insert that doesn't require gluing (e.g., HPI Vintage inserts, Proline off-road inserts, etc.), I'm curious to see how this issue gets resolved. Considering the price point for the pre-mounted tires, they should be built with one piece inserts, end of story. Tires that are sold with the intent of mounting your own wheel/tire/insert combo should also have the option of choosing a 1 piece insert that starts as a single, concentric piece of foam.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Thanks for firing me up!

Jim, I hope to see you there, Steve will have the machine Tequilla flowing
Hey, what are friends for?

It wasn't a blanket statement that said everyone was trying to get around the rules. It only takes 1 or 2 and if they start winning everyone will start doing what they are. Doesn't matter if it helps or not, they're doing it so you gotta do it (that's the generic you, btw)

I'll grant you a new rule a few weeks before a race like this is fustrating, but I think you can see where it comes from. A new, "improved" mini comes out, but not everybody can get it. You just know if the top 5 guys all have M05v2's, everyone else will be whining about how they only won because they had a car I couldn't get. Forget the fact it's the same 5 guys that have been on top forever, they cheated and the track allowed it. With the new rule they're trying to at least take some of the edge off that argument.

That's cool that you got your kids racing RC. Could be a future world champion there!

Can't make it this year due to schedule conflict. Gonna miss it too, I like Jackson.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Been racing Mini for maybe twenty years now. Probably the most fun class as well during that time for me. Having your Mini prepared and the right tires for that track is the key to getting in the A main. Lipo's have made the battery part a non issue.

If anyone fails to get into the A main or top three at a regional TCS. It won't be because of their battery or old version Mini trust me. They will need to improve on driving skill & have their Mini better prepared.

I have seen all versions of Mini' with different lengths dominate with the possible exception of the M06.

The new Mini will be great I'm sure going to pick up one this Sunday but it would not surprise me to see a couple guys doing well with the old cars like the M03 for the last time this weekend.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FMW

Fred, I've used both and the contact cement gives a neater finished product. Either one is okay.

Had some health issues come up this past month so will miss the Finals. Old age and just plain meanness will do that to you eventually. Too bad cause i had a really good car ready. Anyone want to rent a ride????
Old 07-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Hey, what are friends for?

I'll grant you a new rule a few weeks before a race like this is fustrating, but I think you can see where it comes from. A new, "improved" mini comes out, but not everybody can get it. You just know if the top 5 guys all have M05v2's, everyone else will be whining about how they only won because they had a car I couldn't get. Forget the fact it's the same 5 guys that have been on top forever, they cheated and the track allowed it. With the new rule they're trying to at least take some of the edge off that argument.

That's cool that you got your kids racing RC. Could be a future world champion there!

Can't make it this year due to schedule conflict. Gonna miss it too, I like Jackson.
Too bad we won't see you, you'll be missed. Kids make it interesting to say the least… I'll be wrenching like a mad man all weekend. PS: You assume the V2 is a better chassis.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
Fred, I've used both and the contact cement gives a neater finished product. Either one is okay.

Had some health issues come up this past month so will miss the Finals. Old age and just plain meanness will do that to you eventually. Too bad cause i had a really good car ready. Anyone want to rent a ride????

Damn Granpa I wish I was out your way. I would take you up on your offer
Feel Better!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks everyone for coming and making the TCS race a success.

76 entries with 30 mini's

Big thanks to John Brown and his crew for there support!!!! especially for the TCS race series.
Thanks to the racers for there support and all the long distance travelers.Safe return.

here are the results
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R3_Race_02_GT-Spec_A-Main.pdf (31.0 KB, 63 views)
R3_Race_03_GT-3_A-Main.pdf (30.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Here are the rest
Attached Files
R3_Race_06_GT-1 13.5_A-Main.pdf (32.7 KB, 175 views)
R3_Race_07_MINI_C-Main (2).pdf (31.7 KB, 63 views)
R3_Race_08_MINI_B-Main (2).pdf (32.2 KB, 74 views)
R3_Race_09_MINI_A-Main (2).pdf (33.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccardr
Great time this weekend, THANKS TO ALL!!
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Thank you John Brown for continuing to host a TCS race in NJ. Thank you Al and crew for getting he track up and ready after the rain this morning. Great times catching up with so many old friends.
Originally Posted by chef88
Thanks Jackson RC for a great weekend of racing.

Sunday's weather turn out to better then even Saturday.

30 Mini's Wow.
Originally Posted by oladele
Sundays TCS race was amazing! I have never seen Mini's move that fast on two wheels! I'm not sure of the Gentleman's name but I feel your pain breaking on the last lap of the F1 A main while leading the race. To all the winners great job and congratulations.

Please feel free to check out pictures of all the TCS winners and action in the Rckrackin Facebook page. See you guys next year.
Couldn't say it better myself - a GREAT weekend of racing @ Jackson. Big thanks go to all of the racers gathering from near and far for the TCS race - this one seems to pack the house each year, and the on-track action never disappoints. Thanks to John Brown and the Brownie's Crew for bringing this event to Jackson, and supporting the racers' parts needs each and every year. Special thanks go to all of the racers assisting with the track drying procedure during the early morning hours - we couldn't have kept the race on schedule without your help...

30 minis (and the madness that ensues)... That's one of many reasons to attend this race every year.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Couldn't say it better myself - a GREAT weekend of racing @ Jackson. Big thanks go to all of the racers gathering from near and far for the TCS race - this one seems to pack the house each year, and the on-track action never disappoints. Thanks to John Brown and the Brownie's Crew for bringing this event to Jackson, and supporting the racers' parts needs each and every year. Special thanks go to all of the racers assisting with the track drying procedure during the early morning hours - we couldn't have kept the race on schedule without your help...

30 minis (and the madness that ensues)... That's one of many reasons to attend this race every year.
damn...I am not even more bummed that I wasn't able to make it yesterday (damn sick kids )
Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Many Thanks to John Brown and his crew as well as Al and his crew from Jackson Raceway for putting on another Great TCS Event
Congrats to all of the winners!
Can't wait til next season!
Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.