Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Anybody else notice qualifying is your 5 best hot laps in a qualifying heat?

UF1 style!
Which means buy an i-charger if you don't already have one, couple new battery packs, charge to 40 amps, turn timing up and gear up and hope you do not have something go wrong in Q3 (happy hour) or you can find yourself at the back of the A or even in the B. In blinky classes (21.5, 17.5 or 13.5), it is all about batteries and high amp charging to get power.

Even in UF1, that qualifying method just seeds you for your run groups and each of the three rounds is based on Qual points system. Pit stops next for the mains ?

Panda

Panda
Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Which means buy an i-charger if you don't already have one, couple new battery packs, charge to 40 amps, turn timing up and gear up and hope you do not have something go wrong in Q3 (happy hour) or you can find yourself at the back of the A or even in the B. In blinky classes (21.5, 17.5 or 13.5), it is all about batteries and high amp charging to get power.

Even in UF1, that qualifying method just seeds you for your run groups and each of the three rounds is based on Qual points system. Pit stops next for the mains ?

Panda

Panda
Remember, 2c charge rate is to be enforced at this race, which means about 14A if you ran the biggest battery you could. With short packs this means about 8A LOL.....
Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Remember, 2c charge rate is to be enforced at this race, which means about 14A if you ran the biggest battery you could. With short packs this means about 8A LOL.....
That will be interesting to enforce. Tech people walking up to everyone and asking "show me your charger ?"

Panda
Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

We'll find out who the risk takers are....
Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That will be interesting to enforce. Tech people walking up to everyone and asking "show me your charger ?"

Panda
Funny you should mention that. At my club, we have a guy walking the pits. Chargers are pretty easy to check.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Since the qualifying procedures are new this year, could some of the more erudite clear up exactly how this works. I may be confused, a normal state of events, but then again I may not be.

My reading of the procedure leads me to the conclusion, you qualify by the fastest 5 laps in any ONE qualifying heat. In other words, one racer may qualify with his set of 5 fast laps in the 3rd heat and another may have his qualifying laps be his fast 5 in the 2nd heat, and so on. Is this correct or am I not understanding the procedure?????

Also, would it be possible to just run one or two qualifiers or just show up on Sunday, run the one qualifier and still make the A???????
Old 07-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

We'll find out who the risk takers are....
Unless someone is standing over everyone the whole time, don't count on catching many people overcharging as it takes maybe 5-8 seconds to change amperage on many chargers.

Grandpa - a driver has to register by 8:30 am Saturday. However, based on the new quali rules, a person could run Q3 only during Happy Hour, lay down 5 hero laps and be on the pole for a trip winning class.

Panda

Panda
Old 07-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Unless someone is standing over everyone the whole time, don't count on catching many people overcharging as it takes maybe 5-8 seconds to change amperage on many chargers.

Grandpa - a driver has to register by 8:30 am Saturday. However, based on the new quali rules, a person could run Q3 only during Happy Hour, lay down 5 hero laps and be on the pole for a trip winning class.

Panda

Panda
Anything to have an extra set of freshies for the main!

It is an interesting format but as much variance as the track goes through in a day there will be ideal times to get a good run.

Set it up for the money runs and go big!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

quick question regarding sauce. Same as regionals for non-M/GT1/GT2 classes or none?

top of page 4 doesn't say.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Panda

Panda
With voltage check at tech does charging at a higher amp really make a difference. 8.45 peak voltage (i think this is still the cut off). are you suggesting that charging at the higher amps, warms the packs and reduces the IR to give more power?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
With voltage check at tech does charging at a higher amp really make a difference. 8.45 peak voltage (i think this is still the cut off). are you suggesting that charging at the higher amps, warms the packs and reduces the IR to give more power?
Charge at 5 amp at 8.40V and run your car. Then charge at 10 amp at 8.40V and run your car. Then you will know why so many people own i-chargers that charge to 40 amps. And it's more than for the nifty discharge capability.

Panda
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

If battery temp is checked in tech, the high amp rates are not a problem. A lot of large events have also changed tech format to reduce the shenanigans with battery charging.
Some races are having racers check in two races prior to their own and set their cars and radios on the pit tables. Those racers then Marshall the race before their own. Before they go out to race, batteries temps are checked at that time. This is done to fight against people charging at high amps and cooling the battery case to make it through tech.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Thumbs up Charging

I think Tamiya should set a maximum charging amperage for the TCS in that case.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jethroz
Round peg -> Square hole means most have already dumped their old M03/M05 round packs for a square one. Additionally, when the initial build shots were posted, it was a highlight that the car could accommodate a square pack, shorty packs would fit (and be legal) and the car would be able to compete this year.

So, the realistic thing here is that the out-of-the-blue 50c restriction is costing most v2 racers more money rather than saving. Common budget/club-level packs start at 65C+.
Agree with Jethroz. I have a suggestion..why not just add weight to the V2. This would be cheaper than having them purchase a 50C lipo, on top of their first lipo purchase.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
If battery temp is checked in tech, the high amp rates are not a problem. A lot of large events have also changed tech format to reduce the shenanigans with battery charging.
Some races are having racers check in two races prior to their own and set their cars and radios on the pit tables. Those racers then Marshall the race before their own. Before they go out to race, batteries temps are checked at that time. This is done to fight against people charging at high amps and cooling the battery case to make it through tech.
this is a great suggestion. Marshaling the race before your heat and having car ready at the tech station. Wish I would have thought of this years ago when I ran races.

Thanks for the responses relating to the charging of Lipo's. Sounds like I've been leaving some speed on the table. Although still using a 3800 mah round pack 20c does present some risk charging higher than 6 amps. But then again, I try to keep my battery packs more than one race

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.