Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Congrats, Martin.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Fred Forg
Old 08-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Looks like a lot of locals.... wonder if the 2 day practice rule had an effect...
In a word, yes.

Originally Posted by fire929
Anyone know if the new TA05 is standing up to the TA04
Yes, very well, chassis of choice in GT2 and there were more than a few in GT1
Old 08-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Just wanted to say Thanks to Tamiya and Fred Medel!!! Great Job to you all!!!

Richard Marquez
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
In a word, yes.
When I first heard about the 2 day rule and the concept behind it, I though there is an idea. The more I thought about it the more it seemed rather unfair, especially to those who are not locals.

With 52 Saturdays in a year, knock off some track days for holidays, if Tamiya does that? Lets say that leaves 45 days or 315 hours annually to have a chance to hit the Tamiya track running Tamiya cars. Even if you are hitting the track 2 times a month or 168 hours, you will have an advantage.

With the current rule, what can be done in 2 days with a new car for out-of-towners? Locals are tight lipped about setups, track-time is limited especially on Friday and pretty much you have to hit the setup on the head on Thursday, with hope you can get some solid runs in on Friday. Not very easy to do and usually Friday usually becomes a zoo.

If guys want to spend all week at the Tamiya track practicing that is their perogitive. Just because it is there does not mean people have to do it. Lately I have done 3 days leading up to the race. Yes having an extra day does make a big difference and the way I choose to do it. I am sure some are thinking about coming out a week before so they can get a Sat practice in with the current 2 day system.

Going to a race with a 2 day ramp up time, local advantage and having to sort out the newest car. Will probably effect peoples decision on doing this race again. This was the 1st year I missed the race, in a way I am glad I missed it. Although that does not help the withdrawl symptoms.

If out-of-towners said much about this on this years race, it would sound like sour grapes. I am an out-of-towner wishing to do it again, probably with a new car. I don't have the freedom to fly out on Sats to test my car on the track. If Tamiya is so tied up on the 2 day rule then maybe those days should only be reserved for out-of-towners.

Tamiya and Fred do an awesome job with this race! I only hope something better can be worked out.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2005, 02:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fire929
Anyone know if the new TA05 is standing up to the TA04???????????/
1. John Houda - TA05
2. John Christensen - TA05
3. Mike Steele - TA05
4. Juan Aveytia - TB-02R
5. Chris Lim - TA05
6. Kevin Michellich - TB-02
7. Joel Navarro - TA04
8. George Lin - TB-02
9. Travis Lawrence - TB-02
10. Anthony Querol - TA04
Old 08-29-2005, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Jeff. I think Tamiya does a tremendous job of putting on the TCS and supporting the racers. However Jeff is right, if someone wants to take the time and money to go to Cali for the nats that is their perogative. Personally if I am going to travel all that way to race I want as much track time as I can get. Most of the reason I didn't attend this year was financial (new house and an unsold old house), but the two practice day deal factored in as well and the whole F1 thing on top of that. I have been fortunate to have friends that live in Socal that I can stay with so that I only needed to get a hotel for Friday and Saturday, I know that alot of people don't have that advantage. But lets face it, if you're going to race at this level, and you're going to travel then you accept the cost. Also if you are going to limit practice the week of the Nats, then maybe you should limit the number of days the track is open the rest of the year. Again, this is not a shot at Tamiya, because I really enjoy running TCS and hanging out with the other racers, we're lucky to have a series to run like this as the other manufacturers have not been able to sustain as high a level of competition as Tamiya for as long as they have.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I intended to go to the TCS Finals this year but I decided not to go solely because of the factors above. I really enjoy the series but I felt that two days of practice was not enough (for me) to find out what the local racers already know. And everyone would at least like to be competitive. I don't mean to sound like sour grapes but like stated, it could be a fairly costly weekend. (I'm on the east coast) That being said, I will make it to Cali one year. I've heard too many great things about the Finals and the facility. BTW TCS races are my favorite races to attend.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default TCS Finals Practice format

I agree with A-KO. I think the 2 day format for practice immeasurably helps the locals over the out of towners. The stated reason for the two day practice format was to save money. But look at the actual figures. By the time you decide to go to the Nationals, you have already committed yourself to hotel on Saturday & Sunday minimum, plus the days of practice. This year's two day practice would mean extra hotel nights of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, so a total of 5 nights. Really, what is 2 nights (Monday, Tuesday) more hotel in the big scheme of things, a $700 vs $500 hotel bill (if you are staying single, less if your room sharing) (And remember, the hotel bill is the one item you can dramatically alter by room sharing, unlike airfare and equipment costs). To go to nationals you are already paying airfare (lets say $300), car rental (another $200-300), plus equipment bills (tires, new batteries, etc ($hundreds)).

I love Tamiya, think they are the best for the hobby in promoting this race series, but I agree, lets hope TamiyaUSA returns it to the prior format of having the track open for practice the entire week of the race. That extra practice time is essential for out of towners, especially in a class like F201, where small tweaks of the setup can make big differences, and the cars are sensitive to change and harder to work on (time consuming). I missed going this year for a variety of reason, primarily starting a new job 9/1/05 and closing up my business to make the move, but I wasn't looking forward to the 2 day practice format. The TCS facility is such a gorgeous place, the people from around the country have such a good time together, more time means more fun.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Just my 2c on the 2-day-practice issue.

It is like this for ALL races. Us West-Coasters...if we want to attend a race on the East Coast (Nationals, Regionals, whatever), we fly in a couple days ahead and try to learn what THEIR locals have been running on for WEEKS...without a 2-day rule. That definitely puts us at a major disadvantage. A little different because we usually go as a team, and work as a team to get to the ultimate goal.

There are times we will fly a driver in (or two) to do a little pre-race testing.

Now, I understand most of you can't afford to do this. But understand that this is the nature of this type of race. No matter WHERE it is...West Coast, East Coast, Central America or Italy, the locals will ALWAYS have an advantage. It just so happens that Tamiya holds its finals in a part of the country that has some of the fastest drivers in the world. These 'sportsmen' level drivers compete against the Worlds fastest every week. That gives them ANOTHER advantage.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I agree with everything you guys are saying, but I think you have to distinguish between carpet and pavement. Carpet can be replicated anywhere, whereas the TA track is very unique, dare I say that there is nothing like it in the rest of the country? Also there is a difference between factory drivers and teams and Sportsman drivers footing their own bill. I like to think that I at least have half a chance at competing with the locals (even if Im dreamin) You cannot replicate the change in conditions that happen at TA throughout the course of the day. With that having been said, those like myself that have been to TA more than once or twice should have a pretty good idea of what to expect, of course that goes out the window when working with a new chassis.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

I really don't see any advantage of extra days. The Tamiya track has been the same for 10 years. The setup and track doesn't change any. I am a local who went to the track only for the regionals and then the nationals. I nver went to the track all year except the two race days. I ran two packs to get the setup for the nationals, no big deal. Do your research and find a setup online and quit crying.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tony has a point, folks. It's a kind of "home court" advantage. I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just saying it's as inherent as Tuesday following Monday.

At least the out of towners don't have to pay $2000/mo to live in a 1000 sq. ft. house on 500 sq. ft. of land!

What might make it interesting is if Tamiya held the finals in different parts of the continent every year....
Old 08-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

First of all congrats to all the winners: John Houda GT2, Corey Lewis GT1, and Edgar Fialalalalalaos F201, Devin White Mini, and Martin (I own you all) Crisp Past Chumps.

Houda:
Hardly ever practices, just shows up with a breakfast burrito and his Ipod and speakers to hang out. ApeTek Mr.Tanaka Style! But this weekend, he did his homework with the GT2 car. Ubber light inserts on B3's and spoked wheels to save even more weight. Aluminum screws to save further weight, anything that wasn't needed (sway bars, aluminum bling-bling transponder holder, etc.) weren't installed and get this...3-4 year old ultra metals to save 2.5 ounces over those running 3700-3800 packs. Voltage or Weight, which would you pick? The batteries came back with 1200-1400 mah left in them.

Lewis:
What can I say, this guy OWNS the S section at Tamiya. He's got it better than me and, dare I say, Jun. He's quick and will do well in Japan. I assume that the setup he used was the same one that David Jun posted on the Tamiya USA site a long time ago and was used at the Reedy and Ko Race.

Filllaaalalalalalallalalaooooss:
This guy is a wheel and I get a kick out of his car setups. F201 Shocks-they don't work just put anything on...F it. When his chassis tweaks, he has someone twist it back into shape while he uses super glue and kicker to "lock" it in place. Never afraid to experiment and can drive a messed up car very well. Imagine, if he had a dialed one The track conditions in Japan should fit his driving style.

White:
Big MOTOR man. How the heck does he get these Johnsons so fast? If you need parts and hopups go to Speedtech RC, but If you're ever at Gyro looking for really odd ball parts that you can't find anywhere, Devon will get you the Homie Hookup.

Martin Crisp:
This guy is the Iceman. Aggressive but fair and I had a blast fighting for position in A1. I didn't care where we finished it was so much fun battling it out. I just wish there were more cars in the mix so we can freight-train a little bit. Even though I won A2, it wasn't as much fun as A1 because we didn't have at it as much. Great runs by Martin and all of the Past Champs. Now if I can stay off my lid, I may have a chance to beat him next year

I do agree with the pervious posts in regards to Tamiya's "SpeedWeek" where the track should be open all week to let those who need the track time have at it. Also, a lot of setups have been posted here and on Tamiya's website so it's a matter of just putting a baseline setup on your car and making small changes to adjust it to your driving style.

Congrats to all the winners and good luck in Japan. Thank you to all of the racers that make this happen every year and special thanks to Tamiya USA and it's worldwide family for such an awesome series.

Even more thanks to Robert Morris from KO for providing moral and technical support to all of the drivers. Thanks for the cuban cigar and learning the lesson of never painting a car in the dark after a few drinks. Persimon Red?

And a big NO THANKS to the heat. Uggg I hate sweating and I did a lot of that.

Last edited by rtypec; 08-29-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'd like to thank Fred and the Tamiya crew for putting on a great race year after year. Congrats to all the winners. Hope you guys have a great time in Japan!

It was the first time for me racing with a Mabuchi motor. Man...those motors are weird, just wish I had the knowledge to get mine as fast as Chris's. Luck of the draw sometimes...hahaha...oh well.

It was a pleasure to hang out with the NorCal group. Ling, Juan, Marc, Aaron, Fraz, and Victor, it was fun hanging with you guys. I also had a great time with the seattle crew, Dan, Kevin, and Tom, as with the SoCal crew, Steve Wang, Author, Chris Lim, Gerry, John Christianson, Izzy, Wally, Charlie...and gang. Racing was great, but hanging with my buddies for 4 days was blast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.