Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Mini drivers:

As a veteran Mini nationals driver, I know there is a large contingent of us who always have fun practicing together on the couple of days immediately before the Nats commence on Saturday. We all remember the typical end of day gaggle of minis on the track racing/bumping door to door and having a blast, gathering together after someone makes a mistake to regroup and go back and have fun door to door.

In light of Fred's announcement above on what Minis will be using for Nats final motors, I'd like to suggest, in the interest of fun for all (Minis and non-Minis) in practice, that we reach a "gentlemen's agreement" to all put 21.5's in our Mini cars, set them to X degree of timing (and I suggest, in light of Fred's comments on what our motor will be like, x=5 to10 degrees or so of timing), and go out and see how we do and how we compare against others in practice. We agree to use that setting throughout practice, not just at the end of the day. It will not be fun to have some minis practicing with 21.5's with 50 screaming degrees of timing, while others try to imitate expected are conditions with 0-10 degrees of timing. Wide disparity of timing among those practicing would mean we won't have gaggles of minis having fun at relatively equal speeds, could result in some minis creaming the back ends of other minis at the end of the straight, etc. It would also be far kinder to those practicing from other classes with us at the same time in open practice, as the faster classes (that is, everyone but Minis) drivers at least could have some expectation of the relative speed at which they will be approaching/overtaking a practicing mini. It doesn't have to be the same motor used by all, we wouldn't care if it is someone who locates the to be used Tamiya motor (although if identified we could all try to tune timing our motors to match that motor speed) - just some measure of near motor equality for all for practice to have the most enjoyment of our practice sessions.

This just seems like the best way for all to get something out of practice, have fun, and prepare for the relatively unknown situation of what our handout motors will be like on Saturday and Sunday.

Looking forward to the 20th anniversary year race in California - I didn't make year 1 - my first year was year 2 (1996) - when some guy named Fred Medel won FWD, and some guy who seems to like a microphone - Scotty Ernst - won 4WD.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
We will have tire cleaner in post tech and it won't be tire sauce. It will be just cleaner.
Thanks Fred for the heads up on both tire cleaning and the mini motors.

Do you expect the Nats race day Mini 1016 handout tires to be relatively similar in rubber hardness to the "soft" variety 1016's everyone was required to use last year at Nationals - the same 1016 tire that local dealers have in Tamiya USA packaged bags (no paper header card packages) used by almost everyone in most regional races this year? Or has Tamiya come up with a new rubber supplier?

Another thought that you may have already thought of: perhaps all the mini handout motors could have attached a commonly available set of connectors for three wires on poles A, B, & C - announced in advance - so no one will need to solder, nor even need to bring a soldering iron to the track. For example, the commonly used and available Novak Part number 5332 14 gauge wire set? (and tell us whether the motor will have male or female ends). Or Tamiya motor plugs (male end on motor). Just a thought - it would seem to make for an easier tech experience, and no last minute resoldering of ESCs.

Last edited by minidriver; 07-02-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: another idea
Old 07-02-2014, 07:52 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
Thanks Fred for the heads up on both tire cleaning and the mini motors.

Do you expect the Nats race day Mini 1016 handout tires to be relatively similar in rubber hardness to the "soft" variety 1016's everyone was required to use last year at Nationals - the same 1016 tire that local dealers have in Tamiya USA packaged bags (no paper header card packages) used by almost everyone in most regional races this year? Or has Tamiya come up with a new rubber supplier?

Another thought that you may have already thought of: perhaps all the mini handout motors could have attached a commonly available set of connectors for three wires on poles A, B, & C - announced in advance - so no one will need to solder, nor even need to bring a soldering iron to the track. For example, the commonly used and available Novak Part number 5332 14 gauge wire set? (and tell us whether the motor will have male or female ends). Or Tamiya motor plugs (male end on motor). Just a thought - it would seem to make for an easier tech experience, and no last minute resoldering of ESCs.
The "spec" batch of 1016 tires will be the same "soft" batch from last year. They will be tagged with a new TCS silver security label with a serial number. We will continue to use these until we are all out and move forward with a NEW Spec tire in the future...

Yes, the motors will have blue, yellow and orange wire with the classic male bullet connectors. I would suggest putting three female ends on your ESC ahead of time =)

I have attached an image for your reference
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-45058.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

It would be very silly to practice for the Finals with 21.5 motors with crazy timing. You will learn nothing in setting up your car at that speed. Just a thought on how I would prepare. But what do I know.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

why not just keep/use the motor we are issued, without rotation, if they are all 'the same'?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

If that image is all tamiya gear why not make that the spec motor and esc hardware?

Will there be a spec motor? Or handout motor someday?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Where can I get one of these to practice with?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by OSherman
why not just keep/use the motor we are issued, without rotation, if they are all 'the same'?
Perhaps I can field this one

From working tech, you hear all day long, about how much of a turd someones motor was, knowing full well, they are all so, so close

Rotation is for everyone's sanity
Old 07-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

You can never have enough motor. It's racing.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by OSherman
You can never have enough motor. It's racing.
Been running a 5.0 turn in Mod TC lately, so I beg to differ
Old 07-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Does anyone know the stock number for the Tamiya connectors????

Fred, if you see this could you post the number?????
Old 07-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa

How bout one of these??

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUSX4&P=7
Old 07-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rcjunk-yard
Thanks for the feedback, but I don't think that's the connector we're looking for. We need the female to match the males on the Spec motor. Most of the 21.5s I've seen use the Novak or E-flite, but this just another sacrifice we'll have to make for YCS racing.

I have the right connecter on my brushed escs and on the Silvercans. Somehow I've wound up with a lot of the males, which look like they are on the motor. Out of the females, tho.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with this predicament. It would be nice if Fred could post the proper stock numbers.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa

I believe the number you are looking for is 50245.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-image.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 05:46 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wyvern95
I believe the number you are looking for is 50245.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...ctor-set-50245

Last edited by FMW; 07-05-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.