Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Markus
M05v2 received yesterday! Yay.
very cool....
Old 06-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

for guys running the ta05v2 in GT2, what size spurs are you running? I forget what I have in mine, but I know you normally need a low FDR for 17.5 and trying to figure out what's going to give be the biggest range of gearing

i'm running the stock motor mount, for what its worth

thanks!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
for guys running the ta05v2 in GT2, what size spurs are you running? I forget what I have in mine, but I know you normally need a low FDR for 17.5 and trying to figure out what's going to give be the biggest range of gearing

i'm running the stock motor mount, for what its worth

thanks!
I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but I've been happy with an 88 tooth(64 pitch) on mine, gives a good range of ratios for spec classes(I also use it for VTA)....
Old 06-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but I've been happy with an 88 tooth(64 pitch) on mine, gives a good range of ratios for spec classes(I also use it for VTA)....
cool.

how low of FDR can you get in VTA? I tried looking - even with a small spur, I couldn't get a 55ish pinion on the motor, it kept hitting that shroud thing on the motor plate... so I scrapped the idea of running the car in vta
Old 06-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

On regular Saturdays, does the tamiya track have timing up? What tire sauce do most people run? Is buggy grip ok?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by k_bojar
cool.

how low of FDR can you get in VTA? I tried looking - even with a small spur, I couldn't get a 55ish pinion on the motor, it kept hitting that shroud thing on the motor plate... so I scrapped the idea of running the car in vta
I have been able to get low 2.90 FDR with my TA05 V1 with a 2.05 ratio. Not something I recommend, was something I have played with certain success. Depends on the track 3.30 has been reasonable.

I juggle my spur/pinion combos. Lowest 64p spur I have is 72.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default TCS

Any update on the finals driver manual? Hoping to find out what traction compound is going to be used
Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello everyone,

I'm finalizing the 2014 TCS drivers manual. I only need to finalize a couple of key things before I make it live on the TCS site.

However, I did want to post this excerpt from it as it pertains to the tire rules. The key thing from this excerpt is to know that if you are racing in the M-chassis, GT-1 and GT-2 class, DO NOT BUY race tires. You will have to buy your race tires at the event so everyone is on the same BATCH.
I made note of this early in the year, so it's no surprise.

Spec Tires
There are new rules and procedures for the 2014 TCS Finals. GT-1, GT-2 and M-Chassis participants must buy their race tires at the event and during the driver check-in period. You may purchase and check-in on either Friday or Saturday during the specified times listed in Section 3. You may practice with any tire during open practice. You will not be allowed to practice with your Spec tires.
M-Chassis: You will only need to buy one set of event race tires. (Price: $22.50 special TCS 20th anniversary price) The one set will be used for both qualifying and main event racing.
GT-1 & GT2: You will only need to buy 2 sets of controlled event race tires. (Price: $34.50 special TCS 20th anniversary price) The two sets will be used for both qualifying and main event racing.

F-1, GT-3, Spec GT and 1/12 GT must use tires as outlined in the general TCS regional rules.

Spec Tire Procedures for GT-1, GT-2 and M-Chassis:
The event spec tires will remain in tech throughout the entire event. You will install your tires when you line-up in tech during the technical inspection process. Note: You will be allowed to inspect and re-apply glue if necessary during the driver check-in period. (Friday and Saturday) You will also be allowed to re-apply CA glue in post tech if necessary. Make sure to bring your CA glue to tech. The use of CA (super glue) on the sidewall of the control tire is allowed. Adding super glue on the flat surface of the tire to alter grip characteristic is prohibited. Tampering with the control tires in anyway other than super glue on the sidewall is not allowed and will result in disqualification from the event. (We may tweak the glue aspect of this rule pending some testing, so don't get your panties in a wad if you see something you don't like)

Your tires will have a serialized sticker that is associated to your name entry.
For the M-chassis class you will run the one set of tires throughout the entire event.
For the GT-1 and GT-2 classes you will run your two race tires in the following order, which will be monitored and controlled by the race event tech officials.

Round 1: New set of tires
Round 2: One-run tires from round 1
Round 3: New set of tires
Round 4: One-run tires from round 3
A-Main 1: Second-run tires from round 2
A-Main 2: Second-run tires from round 4
A-Main 3: Third-run tires from A-Main 1
B and lower mains: You may pick from your two sets on which to run in tech.

Tire Sauce
M-Chassis, GT-1 and GT-2 must use the tire sauce provided in tech (tire sauce to be announced soon). You will only be allowed to apply the “spec” tire sauce after you have completed the tech inspection gauntlet. Your car must remain in the “saucing station” until your heat race is up.

Non-Handout Motor Regulations
GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, F1, 1/12 GT and GT Spec must adhere to the regular season motor TCS rules.
Note: Brushless motors will be torn down to make sure they have not been tampered with or modified in ways that are not legal. All brushless motors MUST have the turn marked on the stator by the manufacture. Stators that do not have manufactures motor turn identification marks will be disqualified from the event.

I am still finalizing who the motor sponsor will be for the M-chassis class.
The outline above will be tweaked, but it's fair to say it won't change drastically.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Tcs

Originally Posted by FMW
Hello everyone,

I'm finalizing the 2014 TCS drivers manual. I only need to finalize a couple of key things before I make it live on the TCS site.

However, I did want to post this excerpt from it as it pertains to the tire rules. The key thing from this excerpt is to know that if you are racing in the M-chassis, GT-1 and GT-2 class, DO NOT BUY race tires. You will have to buy your race tires at the event so everyone is on the same BATCH.
I made note of this early in the year, so it's no surprise.

Spec Tires
There are new rules and procedures for the 2014 TCS Finals. GT-1, GT-2 and M-Chassis participants must buy their race tires at the event and during the driver check-in period. You may purchase and check-in on either Friday or Saturday during the specified times listed in Section 3. You may practice with any tire during open practice. You will not be allowed to practice with your Spec tires.
M-Chassis: You will only need to buy one set of event race tires. (Price: $22.50 special TCS 20th anniversary price) The one set will be used for both qualifying and main event racing.
GT-1 & GT2: You will only need to buy 2 sets of controlled event race tires. (Price: $34.50 special TCS 20th anniversary price) The two sets will be used for both qualifying and main event racing.

F-1, GT-3, Spec GT and 1/12 GT must use tires as outlined in the general TCS regional rules.

Spec Tire Procedures for GT-1, GT-2 and M-Chassis:
The event spec tires will remain in tech throughout the entire event. You will install your tires when you line-up in tech during the technical inspection process. Note: You will be allowed to inspect and re-apply glue if necessary during the driver check-in period. (Friday and Saturday) You will also be allowed to re-apply CA glue in post tech if necessary. Make sure to bring your CA glue to tech. The use of CA (super glue) on the sidewall of the control tire is allowed. Adding super glue on the flat surface of the tire to alter grip characteristic is prohibited. Tampering with the control tires in anyway other than super glue on the sidewall is not allowed and will result in disqualification from the event. (We may tweak the glue aspect of this rule pending some testing, so don't get your panties in a wad if you see something you don't like)

Your tires will have a serialized sticker that is associated to your name entry.
For the M-chassis class you will run the one set of tires throughout the entire event.
For the GT-1 and GT-2 classes you will run your two race tires in the following order, which will be monitored and controlled by the race event tech officials.

Round 1: New set of tires
Round 2: One-run tires from round 1
Round 3: New set of tires
Round 4: One-run tires from round 3
A-Main 1: Second-run tires from round 2
A-Main 2: Second-run tires from round 4
A-Main 3: Third-run tires from A-Main 1
B and lower mains: You may pick from your two sets on which to run in tech.

Tire Sauce
M-Chassis, GT-1 and GT-2 must use the tire sauce provided in tech (tire sauce to be announced soon). You will only be allowed to apply the “spec” tire sauce after you have completed the tech inspection gauntlet. Your car must remain in the “saucing station” until your heat race is up.

Non-Handout Motor Regulations
GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, F1, 1/12 GT and GT Spec must adhere to the regular season motor TCS rules.
Note: Brushless motors will be torn down to make sure they have not been tampered with or modified in ways that are not legal. All brushless motors MUST have the turn marked on the stator by the manufacture. Stators that do not have manufactures motor turn identification marks will be disqualified from the event.

I am still finalizing who the motor sponsor will be for the M-chassis class.
The outline above will be tweaked, but it's fair to say it won't change drastically.
Thank you Fred
Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I have been able to get low 2.90 FDR with my TA05 V1 with a 2.05 ratio. Not something I recommend, was something I have played with certain success. Depends on the track 3.30 has been reasonable.

I juggle my spur/pinion combos. Lowest 64p spur I have is 72.
Sounds right, I've only gone down to about a 3.93 FDR, but that's because of the tracks I've run on, that's about as tall as anyone needed, & I believe it can accomodate some bigger pinions(just not sure exactly how much bigger)...
Old 06-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Fred:

One thing you should consider in formulation of final tire rules - what can be done to clean the tires post run? Tire build up will be an issue. I generally run Mini no sauce, but a clean tire is certainly desired. Cleaning with sauce? That's not a good option for those who wish to run without sauce.

Do you expect the M chassis tires will be similar to last year - the relatively soft S grip compound? We need to know somewhat what we will be running in the heats so we can get car setup correct with our practice tires - and need to know what practice tires to use that will be similar to the control tire.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:05 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

We will have tire cleaner in post tech and it won't be tire sauce. It will be just cleaner.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

The 2014 Driver Manual is almost complete. I have posted pertinent previews and wanted to add one more preview for the M-Chassis class.

We are going to use a Tamiya hand-out brushless motor. The motor is rated at 2300 KV per volt. At 7.4 volts the motor will turn 17,020 RPM. That's roughly about the same RPM as a broken in Mabuchi/Johnson or slightly less depending on who's memory we're talking about. Anyway, you guys will be running at a fun speed rather than a crazy speed I've recently seen with some of these 21.5 motors that have tons of timing.

We will check all the motors so they are within spec. We will also be rotating motors between rounds. How that will be handled will be covered in the final manual.

My advice to everyone is to practice with 21.5 motors that are not crazy fast or have tons of timing. Lastly, the motor being used is not a .5 motor. It's a .0 motor wind. .0 motors have less grunt than .5 turn motors, so don't expect the motors to have the same torque to what you may have become accustomed to.

Just a heads up.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
The 2014 Driver Manual is almost complete. I have posted pertinent previews and wanted to add one more preview for the M-Chassis class.

We are going to use a Tamiya hand-out brushless motor. The motor is rated at 2300 KV per volt. At 7.4 volts the motor will turn 17,020 RPM. That's roughly about the same RPM as a broken in Mabuchi/Johnson or slightly less depending on who's memory we're talking about. Anyway, you guys will be running at a fun speed rather than a crazy speed I've recently seen with some of these 21.5 motors that have tons of timing.

We will check all the motors so they are within spec. We will also be rotating motors between rounds. How that will be handled will be covered in the final manual.

My advice to everyone is to practice with 21.5 motors that are not crazy fast or have tons of timing. Lastly, the motor being used is not a .5 motor. It's a .0 motor wind. .0 motors have less grunt than .5 turn motors, so don't expect the motors to have the same torque to what you may have become accustomed to.

Just a heads up.
Hi Fred,

Would it be item# 54132 but it has 3160KV

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.