Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 AM
  #18856  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 86
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Wyvern95
I'm thinking about making the trip to RC Madness on May 10th. Can anyone tell me about the track? Will this be a carpet or asphalt race? What is the pit area like? If outside, will I need to bring my own generator or is power provided?
The track is asphalt, plenty of pit space indoors with power or you can pit outdoors if you like. Hope to see you there!
GREGK is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM
  #18857  
Tech Adept
 
Wyvern95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wherever my job takes me
Posts: 127
Default

Thanks GREGK. Never raced on asphalt before. This will be a new experience for me if I can make it.
Wyvern95 is offline  
Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM
  #18858  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond,Va
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by GREGK
The track is asphalt, plenty of pit space indoors with power or you can pit outdoors if you like. Hope to see you there!
Greg,
Bruce and I are planing on making the trip to CT to race F1 om May 10th.
What traction do they spray down if any on the asphalt?
Will there be open practice on friday 5/9/14?
What are the practice hours for 5/9/14/
Do we need to bring tables and chairs for pitting inside?
Thx,
Steve.
hickmeister is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:14 AM
  #18859  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 86
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hickmeister
Greg,
Bruce and I are planing on making the trip to CT to race F1 om May 10th.
What traction do they spray down if any on the asphalt?
Will there be open practice on friday 5/9/14?
What are the practice hours for 5/9/14/
Do we need to bring tables and chairs for pitting inside?
Thx,
Steve.
Last year we found that traction was more consistent without spraying the track and F1 cars had no trouble hooking up. I'll let you know if it changes for this season, last week was opening day and traction was great.
Open practice is Friday , shop opens at 11 closes at 10.
Plenty of pit tables with power and I never have trouble finding a chair.
See you guys on Friday!
GREGK is offline  
Old 04-20-2014, 09:23 AM
  #18860  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

From what I heard at the Tamiya track yesterday, This is the last year for the M03. We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Too bad tho.
Granpa is offline  
Old 04-20-2014, 08:04 PM
  #18861  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
From what I heard at the Tamiya track yesterday, This is the last year for the M03. We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Too bad tho.
That means it's time for you to join us in F1 next season Grandpa.

Panda
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 04-20-2014, 10:16 PM
  #18862  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,838
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

An Open Letter to all TCS racers RE: no sauce at the Finals

This is what I got off a set of current spec tires, new out of the package, after one run. I ran them without sauce, straight out of the package, and then put them away till right now.



I cleaned them only with WD-40.

Let me be clear - I am not advocating for sauce or no sauce. I am pointing out what buildup comes off the paved asphalt track. There is a huge difference between running on virgin carpet with no sauce and running on a slurry coated asphalt track that has been sprayed on a regular basis.

What accommodation (if any) is going to be made to allow buildup to be removed between rounds? Because this is gonna bite in sedan if we have to go back out on these for a second run.

Again, this isn't a criticism or an attack. The conditions are going to be the same for everybody. I just want to know what they are going to be, if they are any different.
CraigMBA is offline  
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 AM
  #18863  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,201
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

"No sauce at the finals"....
Is this for all classes? Is this set in stone?
I'm glad you said something because I was going to be practicing with doped tires
robk is offline  
Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM
  #18864  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Last unofficial (meaning he's still working out the details) word I heard from Fred was... Limited sets of tires for Trip-Winning classes, Tire impound, 'Spec' Tire cleaner (everyone uses the same) to be used on tires while in Tech...
OSherman is offline  
Old 04-21-2014, 07:46 PM
  #18865  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
tobyzhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: chino hills/Irvine
Posts: 655
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I did change my stance on B3 tires. The premounts do not drop off too much and we don't need 3 sets of tire per race. B3 with sweep pink will drop off like a stone wall even though they do feel pretty good the first run.

No sauce sounds kinda hard on the GT1 guys. How about spec sauce and spec cleaner?
tobyzhang is offline  
Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 PM
  #18866  
FMW
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Laguna Niguel
Posts: 844
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Nothing is "official' until we hand out the 2014 Finals Manual. We will post that soon.

However, here's a preview of our thinking.... We'd to make the NATS as close to what is done at the Tamiya World's to give the racers an idea of what to expect in Japan.

For trip winning GT-1, GT-2 and Mini you will get X number of tire sets.
You will be allowed to inspect them and re-apply glue if needed. The tires will always stay in tech. We will have cleaner (Type TBD). You will be allowed to clean your tires in post tech. Sauce? In Japan there is no sauce, but we will allow it and you will be allowed to apply it after your car has gone through tech. That should be incentive to be on time or early.

That's the idea. We will finalize it when the Nats Drivers manual is released.

F-1 will not have tire impound. So that class may use whatever sauce they want. If we had pre-mounted F-1 rubber we'd impound, but we don't at this time.
FMW is offline  
Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM
  #18867  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by FMW
Nothing is "official' until we hand out the 2014 Finals Manual. We will post that soon.

However, here's a preview of our thinking.... We'd to make the NATS as close to what is done at the Tamiya World's to give the racers an idea of what to expect in Japan.

For trip winning GT-1, GT-2 and Mini you will get X number of tire sets.
You will be allowed to inspect them and re-apply glue if needed. The tires will always stay in tech. We will have cleaner (Type TBD). You will be allowed to clean your tires in post tech. Sauce? In Japan there is no sauce, but we will allow it and you will be allowed to apply it after your car has gone through tech. That should be incentive to be on time or early.

That's the idea. We will finalize it when the Nats Drivers manual is released.

F-1 will not have tire impound. So that class may use whatever sauce they want. If we had pre-mounted F-1 rubber we'd impound, but we don't at this time.
Don't worry Fred, like real F1 teams, us Tamiya F1 drivers have unlimited budgets for tires too ! Seriously, I think most people who have run F1 outdoors knows you can get 2-3 race weekends (if not more) on a set of the F1 tires. One set of F1 tires can last four qualifiers and three mains no problem at Nats.

Panda
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 AM
  #18868  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,838
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Thank you for clearing that up Fred.
CraigMBA is offline  
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM
  #18869  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
minidriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lake Mills, WI
Posts: 932
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by FMW
Nothing is "official' until we hand out the 2014 Finals Manual. We will post that soon.

However, here's a preview of our thinking.... We'd to make the NATS as close to what is done at the Tamiya World's to give the racers an idea of what to expect in Japan.

For trip winning GT-1, GT-2 and Mini you will get X number of tire sets.
You will be allowed to inspect them and re-apply glue if needed. The tires will always stay in tech. We will have cleaner (Type TBD). You will be allowed to clean your tires in post tech. Sauce? In Japan there is no sauce, but we will allow it and you will be allowed to apply it after your car has gone through tech. That should be incentive to be on time or early.

That's the idea. We will finalize it when the Nats Drivers manual is released.

F-1 will not have tire impound. So that class may use whatever sauce they want. If we had pre-mounted F-1 rubber we'd impound, but we don't at this time.
Will you be laying CRC carpet on the Aliso Viejo layout in August to give the full "Tamiya Worlds" conditions?? That could be a great across the country equalizer too, let us cold weather indoor track folk throw something new at the well tanned CA regulars.

Just Kiddin' you Fred! Whatever the rules (well, almost whatever rules) August will be fun with TCS friends.
minidriver is offline  
Old 04-22-2014, 03:03 PM
  #18870  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond,Va
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Don't worry Fred, like real F1 teams, us Tamiya F1 drivers have unlimited budgets for tires too ! Seriously, I think most people who have run F1 outdoors knows you can get 2-3 race weekends (if not more) on a set of the F1 tires. One set of F1 tires can last four qualifiers and three mains no problem at Nats.

Panda
Panda,
You do not use a new set of sticker F1 tires every run?
You know the degradation of these F1 tires!
Watch out for the "Clag Field Off Line"
Just like the Pirelli F1 tires they go off after 5 laps then come back?
Remember how do you make a small fortune in F1 you start with a large one!
I hope we do not go to these spec tire rules like sedan?
Steve
hickmeister is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.