Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It appears the Novak Ballistic 21.5 will not be a motor of choice for the mini class this year. Raced my mini last weekend and had the motor timing at its max per the TCS rules. Car would not keep close to the other minis, was more than a second off the pace (car came off the track barely at 100 degrees). Advanced the timing well past the sticker on the end bell (not within the TCS rules) and was on pace with the other minis (motor temped at 135 degrees).

Any thoughts on opening the rules to being able to advance the timing further on the Novak Motors to be able to keep up with the thunder power motors?

What motor does anyone suggest if not able to increase the timing on the Novaks?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I switched from a Novak to a Speed Passion last weekend. I know exactly what you mean. In my opinion, the cars were too fast for a Mini class this way.

We ran 21.5 brushless in our Minis all year. But we all had Novak motors with the "out of the box" timing settings. (30 degrees) This made the cars slower than silver can motors, but there was close racing.

The problem is, what do you do about the differences in the motors. The best answer would be if Tamiya picked a spec motor for the class with a specific timing limit. I'm sure a lot of people would complain about having to buy another brushless motor though. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Which speed passion did you switch over to? I see that there is a regular 21.5 and a ver. 3 motor
Old 02-22-2014, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Golddust
Which speed passion did you switch over to? I see that there is a regular 21.5 and a ver. 3 motor
Mine is the V3 motor.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Default Brushless Mini Motors

Originally Posted by kwkride
I switched from a Novak to a Speed Passion last weekend. I know exactly what you mean. In my opinion, the cars were too fast for a Mini class this way.

We ran 21.5 brushless in our Minis all year. But we all had Novak motors with the "out of the box" timing settings. (30 degrees) This made the cars slower than silver can motors, but there was close racing.

The problem is, what do you do about the differences in the motors. The best answer would be if Tamiya picked a spec motor for the class with a specific timing limit. I'm sure a lot of people would complain about having to buy another brushless motor though. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
What you are suggesting, certainly makes a great deal of sense. BUT, they seem to be very reluctant to do this through the rules. Probably due some commercial interests or relationships. Common sense from the racers perspective took no part in the deliberations.

What will happen is a process of "natural selection", which seems to be the course that has been selected. Eventually, we will all be using the same one or two motors with the appropriate tuning options. You can see it happening now. It will be an expensive and senseless process and many, if not most of us, will have at least one or two totally "useless" motors sitting in the motor box. For example, how many of you have a Reedy or Novak motor????? TOO SLOW, RIGHT. Pretty soon when hot weather comes, a couple of more motors will be eliminated. There were a few other motors that were eliminated with out even a "trial". Like I said, EVENTUALLY.

If the process of "natural" selection is what is in place here, I hope that Tamiya has the common sense not to spell out a specific motor. IT IS WAY TOO LATE FOR THAT. Too many people have spent too much money to try to figure out the best motor combinations. But if history is any kind of teacher------------.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwkride
Mine is the V3 motor.
Thanks Jim
Mike
Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Granpa
If the process of "natural" selection is what is in place here, I hope that Tamiya has the common sense not to spell out a specific motor. IT IS WAY TOO LATE FOR THAT. Too many people have spent too much money to try to figure out the best motor combinations. But if history is any kind of teacher------------.
Very true, you have probably nailed it.

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Thanks Jim
Mike
You're welcome
Old 02-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, you're also right about the 21.5 being too much motor for the Mini chassis. We're probably in the minority here tho cause it's fun to be going that fast. Close racing is much more difficult tho and the extra speed will be intimidating for new Mini drivers. Frankly,I don't see this as a move that will increase the popularity of Minis.

I was hoping that they would have picked the 25.5 rather than the 21.5 cause a fully "cranked" 25.5 was just a few tenths quicker than a TCS legal Silvercan. That was the primary reason, but the travails of finding the ultimate 21.5 revealed another very good reason. There aren't nearly as many makes of a 25.5 motor. Even with the process of natural selection, this would have been much easier and cheaper.

But they usually get it right eventually. Witness their decision to rpm limit the Silvercans. That took several years of lobbying. Some claimed that this is what caused the reduction in the number Mini racers. Good grief, it was the economy, stupid. A lot of guys race Mini cause it's good cheap fun. When you have racers on a limited budget and have chosen Minis for that reason, these are the people you lose when the economy "tanks".
Old 02-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

You can get a brushless system from the Turnigy, Hobby King... type guys for chump change.
RTR kits come with stuff that runs well, most too fast but that's what sells.

Tamiya can put together a 25.5 level combo of their own for nothing, make kits that have it included or as an option and that would be the only combo allowed.
Buy Tamiya and race TCS.
For Cripes sake, quit fargin around.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Is there a rpm limit on the 21.5 brushless motors like on the brushed motors? I see the d3.5 21.5 is not allowed. My "local" TCS race is in 2 weeks.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hello, I have a quick question on f1 tire inserts. Is it mandatory to use the inserts that come with the TCS tires?Or can we use any tamiya or aftermarket insert with the tires...specifically the rears?
TCS race pending.

Last edited by j.d.roost; 02-24-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What you are suggesting, certainly makes a great deal of sense. BUT, they seem to be very reluctant to do this through the rules. Probably due some commercial interests or relationships. Common sense from the racers perspective took no part in the deliberations.

What will happen is a process of "natural selection", which seems to be the course that has been selected. Eventually, we will all be using the same one or two motors with the appropriate tuning options. You can see it happening now. It will be an expensive and senseless process and many, if not most of us, will have at least one or two totally "useless" motors sitting in the motor box. For example, how many of you have a Reedy or Novak motor????? TOO SLOW, RIGHT. Pretty soon when hot weather comes, a couple of more motors will be eliminated. There were a few other motors that were eliminated with out even a "trial". Like I said, EVENTUALLY.

I agree. It would be nice for tamiya to pick a specific motor in the beginning. Its too late too change now since I personally bought 3 different motors.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Tcs

Fred or anybody is tamiya going to reproduce or make available any of the nsx bodies?Looking for a lightweight 2004 version.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Hello, I have a quick question on f1 tire inserts. Is it mandatory to use the inserts that come with the TCS tires?Or can we use any tamiya or aftermarket insert with the tires...specifically the rears?
TCS race pending.
Any insert.....Tamiya wheels & tires only.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Precisely the reason I'll let my fellow Mini racers sort this out, and rejoin the fun later...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.