Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Last edited by Markus; 12-13-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

No offense taken... I'll answer it this way. A good racer could still easily put a silver can GT3 in the A...but against a good racer with brushless, you'd be down on power. I think a few in GT3 raced silver can last year in Omaha and still had fun and we're mixing it up.

Making TCS racers apply for licenses and keeping GT3 more intermediate will make it closer. Back just a couple years ago there were always more than a few heavy hitters in GT3... Those days should be gone now.

In mini...it would be closer...maybe not at the big open tracks but on carpet or mid sized asphalt it would be closer. I'd honestly run silver can mini against brushless mini if I could...I don't think id give up much...I'd have to drive the wheels off my mini, but I'm used to that driving style lol.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So was 17.5 found to be too much motor after the exhibition era?

After racing them I thought they were dialed but if the jury ruled differently then I can accept that.

I just never paid that close of attention to how the 21.5 was chosen as the go to brushless system.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

sorry to be cynical, but define fun

cheap but having arse handed to you fun or more expensive but having a chance to win fun?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Morbo
sorry to be cynical, but define fun

cheap but having arse handed to you fun or more expensive but having a chance to win fun?
You can spend more money and still get your butt kicked.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
You can spend more money and still get your butt kicked.
Lol...yep, I've seen people that buy $300 in mini tires as soon as they get to the TCS race and wind up the C main and I've seen great racers take a nearly bone stock mini and put it at ornear the top of the A. Thats not going to change with the new rules. As they say "luck favors the prepared". The racers that put the time in.and have a solid car and talent built from years of track time are still going to be the ones at the top.

Mini is a class that suits certain driving styles over others too. Theres that variable in play also.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

If you just want to have fun in Mini.... run the right tires & slap a 21.5 in

If you believe it would be a failure not to make the A main....
Tare down your car completely during the week before and rebuild to be sure all the moving parts are working perfectly.
Get a good night sleep, show up early for the warm up race the day before the TCS, be spot on front & back with shock length, shock oil, springs, pistons, toe, ride height, weight, battery, diff & tires. Watch the fast guys go around to see were the real race line is. Practice your butt off in Mini but don't drive anything else.... then it might be a good idea to start thinking about which 21.5 motor is best to run that everyone is talking about.

Trust me... The fast guys will not be changing motors all day. They always find away to make there cars faster then everyone with practice & setup
Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

If you go to a brushless system, it adds expense. Then how do you monitor stators and rotors. At a big race with a large number of entries I think that will be a problem. We've seen that at some VTA races where there are so many entries that make it very difficult to monitor.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

How about making it a Tamiya only 21.5 motor?

Fuzz
Old 12-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
The only thing that keeps new people from joining in on the FUN of the TCS is all the regulars bitching about Doom And Gloom of the rules. In my 10 plus years of racing in the TCS I have had nothing but fun. I never have the best equipment but I have been i have been in D-mains and A-mains and still have had fun. I talk to other racers at club races and they always say the TCS looks fun but they don't want to do it because all they hear from some of the racers or read online that they will have to spend a ton of money because of the rules. After that they just say forget it. I have been racing at the Trackside and The Track at Harbor Hobby, 2 of the largest attended locations every year they hosted.

The winners of these events have always been and always will be the Drivers that put the most time into their setup, preperation, and driving skills. If you are just a novice or intermediate racer you will never beat those guys no matter how much you spend.

Buy what you want spend a ton or spend a little the only way you will ever have a chance to win is if you invest in yourself and practice, work on your setup, and maintain your car.

We need to try and get new people into this series to keep it growing. It is a fun series and I think it is now even better because of brushless in all the classes. I will now have more time to watch some of the outstanding races throughout the day instead of working on motors all day. Setup tinkering will always need to be done but it is no way as time consuming as always changing a motor.

We all do have to remember these are free events to promote Tamiya Products. I think if Tamiya only allowed their own motors and ESC's turnout would be lower.

So we all need to stop scaring new people away and find ways to bring people in by talking about the fun we all have. After all if we did not have fun how many of would be coming back year after year.
Totally with you. However rule change will affect the top top drivers and their chance of winning this year. The people who have already invested years into this sport and got the setup and driving down might be forced to spend more. But I think switching to brushless is a correct move. Brushless motors with adjustable timing is going to last quite a while without the need for lots of replacement. New stuff are not going to be much faster either. I've been using the same reedy sonic motor for 3 years and it's still good with just a bearing swap. It also eliminate the silver can voodoo. As for people who are semi competitive and sportsman, just pick a major brand electronic combo, get a good setup and your pretty much set for a long time. At least mine lasted me for a while. Maybe only the top top drivers can feel the difference in equipment and use it to their advantage. All the bitching will only come from the top drivers because it makes discernible difference to them. As for the rest, just join in on the fun and don't worry about the rules and how to take advantage of it. The fastest motor esc combo will not win you races, good driving and setup will.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ive been busy so I haven't been following the threads too much.
All I can say is that finally TCS is in the 21st century. And the fact that we can run any ROAR approved motor and speedo makes it even better. I know there are guys out there that would love to run the same combo for 10 years and spend no money but lets face it, how realistic is that?
Any activity that involves competition is going to require investment.
Its not like last years stuff is obsolete, and if you are in a budget crunch then take advantage of the guy that insists on having the latest and greatest, more times than not they blow stuff out dirt cheap
Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
If the motor size stays too small for an average system to be competitive, the cost will stay high in order to have the best stuff.
I race F1 with 21.5 with average well used electronics and it's still competitive.
That equipment is a Novak GTB 5+ years old and a Ballistic motor a couple years old.
In offroad 2 wheel drive buggy I run 17.5 with same speed control and same motor only 17.5. Not a Novak fanboy but just sayin it keeps working and is still competitive.
In my VTA car I run a Tekin RS that I bought used and an LRP X12 21.5 that may have even been given to me? and that is also very competitive.
Those are just a couple of examples of how brushless will be very affordable IF the motor size isn't undersized as the 21.5 in Mini seems to be, in my opinion of course.
I also have several other models that I also run with non state of the art equipment and they too are very competitive and those include:
2 wheel drive Short Course Trucks modified used 8.5 turn motor
4 wheel drive Short Course Trucks used 550 can motor 4.5 turn
8th scale electric Buggy also used electronics right down to the hi torque servo
My mini in exhibition 17.5 that won was all used stuff.
The list goes on but I'll stop and thanks for reading.
I had to make the point that when the correct motor size is chosen for a class, the cost can be a one time only cash output.

Last point is that.
Like, duuuuhhhhh /guys just don't get this...

The first few years I raced TCS, every competitor got a T-shirt for participating and a door prize. Fred was in charge then. Thanks Fred!!

Last edited by SMcD; 12-12-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by f1larry
The only thing that keeps new people from joining in on the FUN of the TCS is all the regulars bitching about Doom And Gloom of the rules. In my 10 plus years of racing in the TCS I have had nothing but fun. I never have the best equipment but I have been i have been in D-mains and A-mains and still have had fun. I talk to other racers at club races and they always say the TCS looks fun but they don't want to do it because all they hear from some of the racers or read online that they will have to spend a ton of money because of the rules. After that they just say forget it. I have been racing at the Trackside and The Track at Harbor Hobby, 2 of the largest attended locations every year they hosted.

The winners of these events have always been and always will be the Drivers that put the most time into their setup, preperation, and driving skills. If you are just a novice or intermediate racer you will never beat those guys no matter how much you spend.

Buy what you want spend a ton or spend a little the only way you will ever have a chance to win is if you invest in yourself and practice, work on your setup, and maintain your car.

We need to try and get new people into this series to keep it growing. It is a fun series and I think it is now even better because of brushless in all the classes. I will now have more time to watch some of the outstanding races throughout the day instead of working on motors all day. Setup tinkering will always need to be done but it is no way as time consuming as always changing a motor.

We all do have to remember these are free events to promote Tamiya Products. I think if Tamiya only allowed their own motors and ESC's turnout would be lower.

So we all need to stop scaring new people away and find ways to bring people in by talking about the fun we all have. After all if we did not have fun how many of would be coming back year after year.
Duuuuhhhh Yuuuuuupp!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chef88
If you just want to have fun in Mini.... run the right tires & slap a 21.5 in

If you believe it would be a failure not to make the A main....
Tare down your car completely during the week before and rebuild to be sure all the moving parts are working perfectly.
Get a good night sleep, show up early for the warm up race the day before the TCS, be spot on front & back with shock length, shock oil, springs, pistons, toe, ride height, weight, battery, diff & tires. Watch the fast guys go around to see were the real race line is. Practice your butt off in Mini but don't drive anything else.... then it might be a good idea to start thinking about which 21.5 motor is best to run that everyone is talking about.

Trust me... The fast guys will not be changing motors all day. They always find away to make there cars faster then everyone with practice & setup
Thank you, Matt.

How many TCS regionals have you podiumed in in Mini????? HHHHMMMMM? Mmkaaay
Old 12-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
Thank you, Matt.

How many TCS regionals have you podiumed in in Mini????? HHHHMMMMM? Mmkaaay
Thanks!!
Those days are gone back in my youth. I had a dozen sets of tires to tune my Mini & no motor limit. Mini has evolved with spec motor & tires now. The fast guys are more talented because they are great with set's up of their Mini's.
I am old & slow now.... lucky to get even in the A

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.