Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I took three new sets to the Nationals. Two of them are still in the package. YMMV.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The tires 'work/last' for a long time, true.. but the first run is the best, period. substantial falloff in overall adhesion potential after that magical 2nd run. the faster the cars are running the greater it resonates.

the terms 'work' and 'last' are relative.. they work and last for a long time compared to what? not even the loss in adhesion and/or degredation is consistent.. some fall off more than others.. FACT!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
The tires 'work/last' for a long time, true.. but the first run is the best, period. substantial falloff in overall adhesion potential after that magical 2nd run. the faster the cars are running the greater it resonates.

the terms 'work' and 'last' are relative.. they work and last for a long time compared to what? not even the loss in adhesion and/or degredation is consistent.. some fall off more than others.. FACT!
Agreed, the B3 will last but the fall off is kind of steep for my liking. Most tires on the market will show slight drop off and still be competitive for at least 15 runs for me. I know some competitive driver are willing to use a fresh set of B3s for every run during TCS. First set I used for practice the week before with 6 runs on them was showing deformation. Sort of like the center of the tire is sinked in which causes a lost of contact patch and uneven wear. The Race I attended was during a period where premounts are sold out all over so self mounted are allowed. I used sweep swa pink as suggested by speedtech rc. Not sure if this is what caused the premature wear. But I personally think the tire needs more structural support, perhaps stronger inner belts. I think the compound is less of an issue than the lost of shape under stress. Maybe the premounts are a little better but the price is still pretty high for premounts. I just hope tamiya tires can get cheaper and last longer. Maybe I'll start to use tamiya tires for outside events if they get better. Just a hope
Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Like I wrote, opinions vary on the subject. I can remember racing on Proline S1s in the mid 1990s and having them corded out in four minutes.

For one, I would be totally okay with a limit of one set of tires per race day, OR unlimited tires. Either way, it would be the the same for everyone. Because at the end of the day, the fast guys are going to figure out how to be fast.

Right now, I'm waiting with baited breath to see the TCS schedule so I can finish map out my racing/work calendar for 2014. Can't wait! (And, apparently I don't have to. Doh!)

Last edited by CraigMBA; 12-04-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

huh? quiet. everyone must be reading the 2014 rules.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:55 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just in case we missed someone in our E-mail blast...

Dear TCS racers,

The 20th Anniversary TCS season is upon us! We hope you are able to join us at your local regional race and we hope to see you in August at the 20th Anniversary TCS Finals! We have many exciting things planned to celebrate 20 years of TCS racing!

Important information:

The 2014 TCS Schedule has been up on the Tamiya website for the last couple of weeks. If you have not seen the schedule you may view it here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/schedule.php#.UqDP9MRDt8E

The 2014 rules have been finalized and we have attached it to this email for your reference. Make sure to visit the TCS website as the season progresses for any amendments and rules clarifications throughout the year.

Changes:

1. The 2014 rules document file has been edited for easier reading/understanding for new and veteran racers.
2. All classes may use any ESC, motor and battery on the ROAR list. See rules for details and exceptions.
3. FF-03 is back as an exhibition class and you may use any variant of the FF-03.
4. Best of Show judging and how we judge has been better explained. This will help aspiring artists understand what the judges are looking for.
5. Best of Show now has a master GT award, meaning GT-1, GT-2, GT-3 and FF are all judged as one class since they are mostly using the same genre of body class.
6. The M-chassis class is now moving forward to brushless motors. See rule details
7. The TRF101 is now a legal chassis for the F1 class.
8. The F104GP is a legal car as long as the F104 front end is used. This rule is only in place as itís also legal to use at the Tamiya World Finals.
9. Ambient battery temperature rules have been added to the voltage rules for all classes.
10. Minimum weights to some of the classes have been changed to align with new releases and Tamiya GP Japan rules.
11. The 4 classes that are eligible for the Japan trip to the Tamiya World Finals are: F1, GT-1, GT-2 and M-chassis

For further tweaks on class rules make sure to read the entire 2014 rule document.

TCS Finals sneak preview:

Be aware the TCS Finals rules will be the same with some slight differences for the purpose of leveling the playing field as much as possible. We are considering the following:

1. Tire impound rule for GT-1, GT-2, and M-chassis. This is very similar to how the Tamiya World Finals are run. This also means no tire additives.
2. Spec brushless motor for GT-1, GT-2 and M-chassis (Major Motor Manufacture supplier TBD) The idea is under consideration.
3. Limits on the amount of tire sets you may use at the Finals. The idea is the same as what was done in 2013.

Good luck in 2014!

Your TCS event staff
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014 Regional TCS rules V2.pdf (200.6 KB, 1324 views)
Old 12-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Last edited by Markus; 12-13-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Markus
Thanks Fred. I like what I see. the rules seem more welcoming and will hopefully boost attendance. Merry Holiday Shopping
+1 Happy Holiday
Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
Bring up a past argument to the table, I do think tire is a greater problem than motor issue right now. I attended the 2013 regional at TA in gt3 and the tire availability, price, and degradation was a huge issue. I was only able to source 2 sets of B3 tires for practice, qualifying, and at the main, the tire was holding me down considerably. 45 bucks for a set of premounts that only lasted 15 minutes on track before degradation is not very attractive and I'm only running 21.5 motors. It might have to do with my setup, tire prep and driving that I'm going through tires so fast but the B3s remains the fastest degrading tires I've used. The thunder power motor and tekin rs esc I used for the race I got second handed from rctech and did not touch them at all for them to perform admirably. I think motor and esc is not a huge issue in gt3 at least. If the spec tires are cheaper and lasted longer, the turn up will greatly improve. Never mind the $150 esc everyone is complaining about. Tires alone cost that much for a single race if I wanted to be at my top form. Just my 2 cents. But regardless, I'll still attend this year's TCS and have a good time. Just please tell me where to get those B3s for cheap please
That's not the case at all regarding tires. I used B3's for the first time at the Nationals and it actually gets faster as they wear in up until at least the 4-5 run and then stagnate there. If you are relying on new sets to go fast, your setup might need tweaking.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

That's how I felt about mine too Peter. I was fully prepared to buy a new set EVERY ROUND if I thought it was an advantage. Luckily for me, that wasn't necessary.

Wonder what it would be like between rounds with a tire impound? Are you allowed to brush off the marbles or nothing at all?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Racing4Evo
That's not the case at all regarding tires. I used B3's for the first time at the Nationals and it actually gets faster as they wear in up until at least the 4-5 run and then stagnate there. If you are relying on new sets to go fast, your setup might need tweaking.
Interesting, I think I need to experiment again. I was using tire tweak and paragon traction action. Seems to work great in the beginning but fall off is steep, maybe the tire prep is at play too?
Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Tech Addict

Upon reading the new rules, I notice GT3 no longer allow any NSX bodies????
Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Fred, I noticed that the FWD class you have to use a brushless motor but in the GT-3 you can use 1 of 3. Is it possible to run a silver can in the FWD class also? Trying to keep it on a budget...

George
Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, if people want to run the silver can motor in FWD they can.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Yes, if people want to run the silver can motor in FWD they can.
Thank you!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.