Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.C
You guys are nuts if you think the problem or the solution to the GT class is spec'ing the ESC/motor/gearing. We're paying $50 for tires that are not fit for TT-01s doing parking lot joy runs. Name me one major race event (non TCS) in the world that could/would get away with spec'ing these tires. Participation in the GT class at the regional and national level is low, it appears that there's only a handful of us that are willing to spend $50 for vinyl tires. I'm ok with the price of admission, but there are others who refuse to get into TCS racing due to the tires. If we're going to have an adult discussion about how to revive GT racing in the TCS, it must first start with doing something about the cost and quality of current tires.

This was my tire package for my first and one TCS GT-2 race at Jackson RC this year. Telling me that we're going to a spec $80 ESC isn't going to change my perspective of TCS racing.
Maybe we should leave it up to the track to spec a tire for GT classes only. Most tracks have a spec tire all ready.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
I remember and miss the days where the SpecGT2 class could go thru a Nationals weekend with only 3sets of tires and not have to worry about degradation. Current technology is pushing them to the limit and beyond.. Sounds like GT1 to me.. OneMake with fixed gear sounds great.. That only leaves deciding 'the gear' for shaft vs belt... Yes there is a difference..
Agree with the tire sentiment, but sadly these are the cards we are dealt. A tire limit would help, but outside of the races at the tamiya track, it isn't feasible for the other tracks with limited staffing. Fixed gear would be cool, but again, tough to police with staffing, and some of the cars are tough to inspect.
Originally Posted by Juan
I'd prefer 13.5 or 10.5 for the nationals. But obviously whatever Tamiya decides works for me.
While I agree, as it's what I run as well, ever since GT1 went to 13.5, turnout has been poor at best. Need to find a way to get more guys willing to move up.

I agree with the tires not being the best, but unless a deal could be done similar to the Pit tires in the F1 class, the is no reason for Tamiya to allow a local track to spec their own tires. This is a Tamiya series which is run in order to promote the product, which includes their tires. It also allows a level of control if things happen like a production change as happened at Nationals. If this had happened with some other brand tire, TUSA would not be able to adjust as well as they did.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Stick with a spec tire. But the key is to push Tamiya to improve their sedan tires to be on par with other spec tires.

Win Win. Maybe people would even buy Tamiya tires to use outside of TCS.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

$50 a set?

The last Memphis race in 2011 I budgeted around $50 a set. When I finally went to pick them up (My LHS could not get them), Hobbytown Memphis wanted $72 a set. Decided to buy one set and swap between GT1 and GT2 on Sunday. Not to run on un-broke-in tires did some mild laps roughly 8 for GT2 and same for GT1. Not pushing them, going top speed, or driving crazy, Yet they still blistered out of the box, with my 1st GT2 practice run, which was dialed!

Locally there have been series races going on with 1 spec tire that costs $30 for 4. Next year they are boasting another tire around $20 for 4. Out of the box the $30 have never blistered. Under comparable Memphis conditions, I can easily get one race day out of a set.

I am glad the last few year have only done carpet races for TCS and not pavement. The carpet tires are not the greatest yet don't blister like the $50-$72 B3 kind.

Having a tire limit at the Nats was a great idea. I don't think creating more rules or a very tight spec is the answer. The rules are only as good as the track tech is willing to check them. B3s are barely suitable for 17.5.

I finished my popcorn, need a drink.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Al Sodano
Keep March open in you're schedule
you're awesome, Al need to get my mini back together

wow...so march and July-ish - awesome
Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You guys are nuts if you think the problem or the solution to the GT class is spec'ing the ESC/motor/gearing. We're paying $50 for tires that are not fit for TT-01s doing parking lot joy runs. Name me one major race event (non TCS) in the world that could/would get away with spec'ing these tires. Participation in the GT class at the regional and national level is low, it appears that there's only a handful of us that are willing to spend $50 for vinyl tires. I'm ok with the price of admission, but there are others who refuse to get into TCS racing due to the tires. If we're going to have an adult discussion about how to revive GT racing in the TCS, it must first start with doing something about the cost and quality of current tires.

This was my tire package for my first and one TCS GT-2 race at Jackson RC this year. Telling me that we're going to a spec $80 ESC isn't going to change my perspective of TCS racing.
that's odd because last year, I used the same single set of Tamiya tires for the whole race and didn't have much, if any wear on mine ... and I was running GT1
Old 10-25-2013, 05:03 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tron
Stick with a spec tire. But the key is to push Tamiya to improve their sedan tires to be on par with other spec tires.

Win Win. Maybe people would even buy Tamiya tires to use outside of TCS.
Problem is that Tamiya outsources production of tires to a secondary company to produce like Ride or someone similar. It's makes much more sense financially to allocate their resources to things like licensing, model molds, etc. it's the same reason all of those TRF shock oils, TRF greases, TRF speed controls and motors are all rebadged MuchMore and LRP stuff. As much as we would all like to see an improved tire, it's not something that most likely will change due to the business model.

What I'd argue is while the tires are not the best tires in the world, they are the same for everyone. I see people say all the time they needed a new set for every run, but when I ran GT1 at nats, while it was ideal to have a new set every run, you could easily run a set for two qualifiers and not lose a lot of time.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AWK
Problem is that Tamiya outsources production of tires to a secondary company to produce like Ride or someone similar. It's makes much more sense financially to allocate their resources to things like licensing, model molds, etc. it's the same reason all of those TRF shock oils, TRF greases, TRF speed controls and motors are all rebadged MuchMore and LRP stuff. As much as we would all like to see an improved tire, it's not something that most likely will change due to the business model.

What I'd argue is while the tires are not the best tires in the world, they are the same for everyone. I see people say all the time they needed a new set for every run, but when I ran GT1 at nats, while it was ideal to have a new set every run, you could easily run a set for two qualifiers and not lose a lot of time.
Andrew The model exists already...Shimizu.

Just substitute a sedan tire that lasts longer than a B3. The Solaris Medium or their "SP" series of tires would be an easy and affordable choice.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tron
Andrew The model exists already...Shimizu.

Just substitute a sedan tire that lasts longer than a B3. The Solaris Medium or their "SP" series of tires would be an easy and affordable choice.
If that was possible for sedan, to cultivate a relationship with a reputable tire manufacturer and have them brand a tire just for Tamiya, I agree that would be best. I was just talking about them improving the current tire (i.e. Working with whomever produces the tire currently). For TUSA purposes, that would help out the asphalt racers a lot. I have no clue the turn around time for something like that, but am sure Fred is way ahead of us if it's possible.

As I have not run any carpet yet, I'm not sure how carpet guys feel about the C and A tires.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AWK
If that was possible for sedan, to cultivate a relationship with a reputable tire manufacturer and have them brand a tire just for Tamiya, I agree that would be best. I was just talking about them improving the current tire (i.e. Working with whomever produces the tire currently). For TUSA purposes, that would help out the asphalt racers a lot. I have no clue the turn around time for something like that, but am sure Fred is way ahead of us if it's possible.

As I have not run any carpet yet, I'm not sure how carpet guys feel about the C and A tires.
I've only tried the Type C's once(shortly after they came out, at The Track at Harbor Hobbies' first TCS event), but I have to say, I was VERY impressed. I went to that one fully expecting to need 2 full sets minimum for my GT2 & GT1 cars(so I brought 3 sets & was ready to buy another), but after practicing all day on that Friday & practice & qualifying on Saturday & practice & mains on that Sunday, I only needed ONE set per car for the whole weekend, & it seemed like the more runs I put on them, they better they got(I probably put somewhere around 13-15 runs on them per car over the weekend). Now they weren't giving as much grip as say a Jaco Blue would, but they weren't giving up much that I could tell, & they felt fine in both cars. I don't know if others have had the same experience I have, but I don't see any problem with them on carpet for TCS racing(& I think they would make an excellent premount)...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Sadly; and again, I say this, no one listens to us 'radical' east coasters

pop pop pop
Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Please let this be the next Tamiya body!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Please let this be the next Tamiya body!!!
Would fit well in my stable.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

2014 Schedule is posted.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/schedule.php#.UnqMTSRrle0
Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSeils

Awesome! Now we need some rules/classes for 2014 season!
Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.