Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree824Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Hello everyone,
*I especially enjoyed Spec GT and what Tekin has done to bring racing to a more fair and fun level in terms of the motor and electronics package.
*Anyway, the class had a locked timing rule for the 17.5 motor you got with the electronics package.
*The gearing was fixed to 4.5 (maximum), but you could gear down teeth if you wished.

*The racing was so close that your chassis tuning and driving did all the talking.
*These ideas can potentially alleviate the headache of choosing the right electronics.
*These ideas have the potential of leveling and brining closer racing and these ideas can alleviate the voodoo.

More to come.....
I *'d the interesting things Fred was talking about in his post.

Summary so far is:
Blinky speedo already have TCS rule
Fixed endbell motor timing TBD
Weight Minimum already have TCS rule
Gearing Maximum TBD
Body list already have TCS rule
Tires already have TCS rule

IIC Spec GT rules:Tekin RS GEN2 SPEC & Tekin Redline Gen 2 17.5
No Boost
5mm
190mm
Motor Hand-out
Body list

Last edited by Markus; 10-21-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:04 AM
Tech Adept

So now we're talking "blinky" fixed-timing speedo and "blinky" fixed-timing motor. Nice. Adjustable-timing motors fry 'way too often because racers like me are naturally greedy, and the smell of smoke gets expensive. This class should have close, less $ racing...
Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Spec racing never saves money. Hang on, BRB, gotta nuke another bag of popcorn
Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

From what I gathered from Fred in a lil more 'in depth' email.... Is that there is TEKIN 'telemetry' software that gathers data during your run and stored which 'can be studied' afterward.. With that data you can determine (if you understand the data being displayed) where you are or are-not giving enough throttle, throttling too early or late, battery voltage at almost any point in time during the run, temperature, and a couple other things.. With this data you can then adjust your driving style and maybe minor setup changes/tweaks to make the most out of your run.. Basically there is opportunity to make YOU a better driver rather than rely on the equipment solely.. Which is what Spec is about. The Driver.. In a nutshell

Sounds good if the equipment necessary for the data stream will be readily available..
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
Spec racing never saves money. Hang on, BRB, gotta nuke another bag of popcorn
It's more appropriate to say it doesn't make money, for the LHS. I spent $80 on a spec motor/ESC for our local mini class three years ago. Haven't spent a dime since.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
It's more appropriate to say it doesn't make money, for the LHS. I spent $80 on a spec motor/ESC for our local mini class three years ago. Haven't spent a dime since.
Yes, I've been following on the mini thread. You guys, fortunately, figured it out years ago what to do and how to save the mini class at your track. TCS guys not so much... However, one thing you failed to mention, was that your spec ESC motor combo was not available except by mail order only at the time. Not sure about now. TCS guys bitched that 80 $ was too much. But you've run for years on that one combo. I'm on your side for years now; but TCS, more likely, the CA TCS racers saw things differently. My guess is that once Tamiya USA figures out how to monetize this, we will see brushless mini. And that means more money spent by the racers to race a 100 $ kit. No longer will old used stuff be legal. Then the battery wars will start and good batteries aren't cheap...

Now where's that big bowl of butter

Last edited by SMcD; 10-22-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well, it's true. There was a $54, off the rack, solution available as well, but we just had to have our own spec motors. We're spoiled! Batteries aren't as much of an issue when you run this cheap crap, though. Good battery, yes. Really good battery? Meh.

Ever poured a little melted Cheez Whiz on your popcorn? It's surprisingly good.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

I WILL try the cheese wizz on the popcorn!! The hottest tip on the thread so far
Old 10-23-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

any word on when the 2014 schedule might be out?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I ran Spec GT at IIC for the second year in a row, and the class was great. The guys that had time to spend with their cars before the race definitely had the edge, but it wasnt from the equipment, it was all setup and driving. I eneded up buying the system after the race and I was very happy how it performed
Old 10-23-2013, 08:31 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The system Fred mentioned sounds very interesting indeed. What might be a good balance to not only help GT1 and save costs is essentially make GT2 tub chassis with a 17.5 spec system, fixed timing motor, blinks, etc, and GT1 17.5 roar legal esc and motor in blinky mode with tub and trf chassis. Would allow a good cost effective stepping stone for GT3 guys to get into brushless, new guys a cost effective close racing spec class without the silver an voodoo, and allow guys who want to keep with roar equipment and have more options to still have their fun.

GT1 turn out has been low with 13.5, usually less than 10 guys per race (even nationals) and maybe slowing down a tick to 17.5 would get larger fields.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AWK
The system Fred mentioned sounds very interesting indeed. What might be a good balance to not only help GT1 and save costs is essentially make GT2 tub chassis with a 17.5 spec system, fixed timing motor, blinks, etc, and GT1 17.5 roar legal esc and motor in blinky mode with tub and trf chassis. Would allow a good cost effective stepping stone for GT3 guys to get into brushless, new guys a cost effective close racing spec class without the silver an voodoo, and allow guys who want to keep with roar equipment and have more options to still have their fun.

GT1 turn out has been low with 13.5, usually less than 10 guys per race (even nationals) and maybe slowing down a tick to 17.5 would get larger fields.
I'd prefer 13.5 or 10.5 for the nationals. But obviously whatever Tamiya decides works for me.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I remember and miss the days where the SpecGT2 class could go thru a Nationals weekend with only 3sets of tires and not have to worry about degradation. Current technology is pushing them to the limit and beyond.. Sounds like GT1 to me.. OneMake with fixed gear sounds great.. That only leaves deciding 'the gear' for shaft vs belt... Yes there is a difference..
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
any word on when the 2014 schedule might be out?
Keep March open in you're schedule
Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

You guys are nuts if you think the problem or the solution to the GT class is spec'ing the ESC/motor/gearing. We're paying $50 for tires that are not fit for TT-01s doing parking lot joy runs. Name me one major race event (non TCS) in the world that could/would get away with spec'ing these tires. Participation in the GT class at the regional and national level is low, it appears that there's only a handful of us that are willing to spend $50 for vinyl tires. I'm ok with the price of admission, but there are others who refuse to get into TCS racing due to the tires. If we're going to have an adult discussion about how to revive GT racing in the TCS, it must first start with doing something about the cost and quality of current tires.

This was my tire package for my first and one TCS GT-2 race at Jackson RC this year. Telling me that we're going to a spec $80 ESC isn't going to change my perspective of TCS racing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.