Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Maybe Tamiya will decide to use the Shimizu tires just like F1...here's to hoping

Originally Posted by Granpa
I remember the first Silvercan B/L debates for Minis a few years ago. B/L was being advanced as a panacea for the Mini class. The proponents were advancing the argument that it was simple, the systems would last much longer than a Silvercan, and "cheating" was nearly impossible, and would be less expensive in the long run.

I forwarded the idea that B/L would ultimately be more expensive, cheating would be rampant, and that there would be a huge problem with complexity and tech inspections. A TC racer was complaining he had a $300 day the week before. And that's not an unusual complaint.

The real problem in Mini right now, is not the motor problem. The problem is with the Spec tire. The current tire needs to be "doctored" and needs a careful break in. Then it's only good for a few runs. Quite frankly, it's destroying the turn out, eliminating the fun, and making it very expensive to race a Mini. There are a number of solutions to this, but that's another story.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Eating popcorn
Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tron
Maybe Tamiya will decide to use the Shimizu tires just like F1...here's to hoping
That might be a good way to go. They are a really good tire and much better than anything that Tamiya has. They do make 3 different compounds of which the hard for the fronts and the softs in the rear, cure a lot of problems.

When they did that for F-1, it sure made the F-1 turnouts much better. The commercial considerations may not make that a viable alternative in Mini however. The current Spec tire can't be helping the number of Mini drivers tho.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

F1 also got a lot better when silver cans went away. Nobody is burning up motors or has to go through elaborate magnet zapping and break in rituals.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
F1 also got a lot better when silver cans went away. Nobody is burning up motors or has to go through elaborate magnet zapping and break in rituals.
Just my two cents on the fun factor of brushless VS. brushed days. This year I raced the IIC event for the first time in 8 years. Eight years ago it was brushed motor everything. In my return to this event I ran all brushless and the fact that I did not have to touch a motor at all was pure joy.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
8 years. In my return to this event I ran all brushless and the fact that I did not have to touch a motor at all was pure joy.
Now you're seeing the light better than ever
Just a few more points to understand...
Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Please people, I was not trying to reopen the B/L silver can debate.

Just was voicing an opinion that the current Spec tire is a bigger problem in Mini than the motors.

Maybe tho, it was some frustration cause I'd just had my 21.5 B/L just quit running. What was irritating was I'd never had the motor temps go past 150.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any word on schedule and rules for the upcoming season. Looking to race GT1 and was wondering if the TRF 418 will be legal.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Please people, I was not trying to reopen the B/L silver can debate.

Just was voicing an opinion that the current Spec tire is a bigger problem in Mini than the motors.

Maybe tho, it was some frustration cause I'd just had my 21.5 B/L just quit running. What was irritating was I'd never had the motor temps go past 150.
Sensor cable? I have a spare if you want to try it.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well.. After further investigations I think Fred may be onto something VERY COOL.. I mistook his original comment as merely throwing a random speedo into the ring and/or adding to the list... When in actuality there is more to it than that.. And I must say, the idea is pretty cool.. I highly recommend everyone (TCS Racers) do a quick search and read on this "iic class" that Fred had mentioned.. Maybe you too will find the concept pretty cool.. Or maybe Fred will post his findings in a lil more detail here.. I had no idea such happenings were happening.. Then again I've been drinking ONLY the BLUE KOOLAID for the last 9years or so..

Very very interesting..
Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
Very very interesting..
yes it is
Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Granpa;12640183]Please people, I was not trying to reopen the B/L silver can debate.

Maybe tho, it was some frustration cause I'd just had my 21.5 B/L just quit running. What was irritating was I'd never had the motor temps go past 150.[/QUOTE

Hi Granpa.

How hot was the motor when it quit running?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=2CARTEAM;12640963

Hi Granpa.

How hot was the motor when it quit running?[/QUOTE]

It came off the track on the previous run at 130. On the next run the car would barely move-----10 to 15mph.

Not good. I'm B/L newbie, but so far not impressed.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
Well.. After further investigations I think Fred may be onto something VERY COOL.. I mistook his original comment as merely throwing a random speedo into the ring and/or adding to the list... When in actuality there is more to it than that.. And I must say, the idea is pretty cool.. I highly recommend everyone (TCS Racers) do a quick search and read on this "iic class" that Fred had mentioned.. Maybe you too will find the concept pretty cool.. Or maybe Fred will post his findings in a lil more detail here.. I had no idea such happenings were happening.. Then again I've been drinking ONLY the BLUE KOOLAID for the last 9years or so..

Very very interesting..
im too lazy to search. can you just please tell us?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default "iic class"

Yes, please expand on this. I'm not really so lazy, I just don't know where to look...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.