Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
does this have the potential to keep anything else from being allowed?
Did Tekin supply these as handout and return packages?
That would be ideal for racers
Agree. Handout and return is ideal.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
The ESC and motor debate continues so it seems.
I built two identical cars for TCS last year. In the final round of controlled practice, I had an on track incident with another driver that gave the right side an extra 10 degrees of camber, so I begrudgingly ran the other car (the motor in the "camber" car was a little better than the car I ran). When Chris Daniels decided to drop to GT3, he didn't have a 21.5, so I took the good motor out and put it in Chris's car with the same gear. I encourage racers to compare the lap times between my "bad" motor and the "good" one in Chris' car.

IMO the only debate is if you want to have one or not. There isn't anything wrong with the existing rules. If Fred wants to add another "spec-spec-spec" (body/gear/motor) class I think that's great, and I'll gladly build another car for it. I would prefer that it match one of the JDM Tamiya classes.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Handout and return electronics?.. Yeah, rite!! You fry, you buy. That's a lot of Refurbs thru the course of a TCS season.. I've seen stranger things happen, but I would hate to get one of these 'recycled' units come time the 'Mains at Nats'. Are we swapping them every round ala the Mini SilverCan grab bag?!

My speedo from last year works just fine.. And my motor is still in a post-tech tear-down state.. "We can rebuild him, we have the technology"

$0.02
Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
Handout and return electronics?.. Yeah, rite!! You fry, you buy. That's a lot of Refurbs thru the course of a TCS season.. I've seen stranger things happen, but I would hate to get one of these 'recycled' units come time the 'Mains at Nats'. Are we swapping them every round ala the Mini SilverCan grab bag?!

My speedo from last year works just fine.. And my motor is still in a post-tech tear-down state.. "We can rebuild him, we have the technology"

$0.02
Is your speedo from last year gonna need to be replaced to run next year with THE spec speedo?
Could we possibly all need to buy THE spec speedo or will it just be considered for one certain class?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Is your speedo from last year gonna need to be replaced to run next year with THE spec speedo?
Could we possibly all need to buy THE spec speedo or will it just be considered for one certain class?

i used a one year old ORION speedo and two year old REEDY motor..

if it were my call i would choose something else other than TEKIN. i will go with the flow and do a 'spec speedo n motor' (kickin n sceraming albeit) but please consider all options if its going to be 'one make'...
Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Tekin SPEC ESC?

I don't know a lot about the Tekin spec esc, I haven't heard much about it until Fred mentioned it. If the motor limit is 13.5, it doesn't seem to be a very robust esc for my satisfaction, especially if the street price is around $135. I can get a better quality esc for that kind of money!
As much as we push 17.5 motors, I really can't see this ESC handle anything that could hold up to the abuse we can potentially put on these esc's. Not to mention 13.5 is very hard on esc's also.
If you put gearing limits to keep temps and high loads off on the esc , then your dumbing down the speed for Gt-1 and GT-2.
Is that what is necessary for an even playing field and close racing? Slower speeds? Note This is what they do in Japan for the Internationl race)
If we wanted to run slower speeds we can all run Gt-3, that would make racing more equal! Right?
Whatever Tamiya decides to do for TCS Championship Series, I will problably go along with the program regardless of my opinions because I think TCS is still the best spec racing there is on the planet!
Everybody has to decide on what they want to do race TCS or not. I choose race TCS!
I hope all concerned thinks things thru before making any final decision, regardless of the outcome.
Just my 2$
Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxepower
So, You didn't run the Tekin Gen 2 ESC for the spec class at IIC?
Max. The Tekin RS Spec is based on their Gen 2 board. It's my understanding it's the same, except there's no possible way to use boost.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:39 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Reading is such a powerful tool for knowledge gents...http://www.teamtekin.com/rs_spec.html

Like I said...it's a Gen 2 board without the ability to use boost.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Reading is such a powerful tool for knowledge gents...http://www.teamtekin.com/rs_spec.html

Like I said...it's a Gen 2 board without the ability to use boost.
Fred, generally everyone understands what it is...but the real question is why have another ESC with zero timing when the ROAR list of blinky / zero timing ESCs is the same thing...a zero timing/boost ESC.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tron
Fred, generally everyone understands what it is...but the real question is why have another ESC with zero timing when the ROAR list of blinky / zero timing ESCs is the same thing...a zero timing/boost ESC.
Most likely because there is no way to add timing, takes any question out of the mix.
Makes sense but damn, who wants to buy new speedos and motors.
It is talkin bout new non timing motors too isn't it?
Back to luck of the draw or buy a few and latch on to the sweet one?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Why reinvent the wheel? USVTA has been running non-programmable ESC's for years. Every ESC on the list here shows no advantage on track: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/

Looks like Tekin finally listened to the feedback of building a non programmable ESC so the Tekin fan boys can play in USVTA.

And regarding motors, even though USVTA is locked to one motor brand there are still variations seen in performance. Gearing and timing is not one size fits all and some motors look better on the straight, while some better in the infield.

Someday people will realize that car setup and driving is what counts, not the latest spec ESC. USGT is a little more relaxed in specs vs USVTA, and we still see a field of 8 cars within 6 seconds of each other after 6 minutes of racing.

Here's hoping some common sense prevails, and we don't go trying to make a better wheel.

Jimmy
Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah... There has been speedos on the list that has no possible timing adjustment (LRP Zero and LRP Super Reverse I believe and a Novak I think).. Mr. Jun (during his short reign) opened the list to include a few more ROAR approved items (some with no possibility of adjustment whatsoever mixed with some that have a blinky mode) if I remember correctly.....Now here we are today...
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Hoping that the spec speedo and spec motor just stays in certain classes like Mini and GT3.
Makes sense there, at least in Mini where there is a fixed or at least a maximum gear ratio.
I loved running Mini with brushless power.

We've had great success with open electronics in F1 in the UF1 series as well as TCS F1 races and also our own Outlaw VTA running 21.5 with open stuff too.
Can even comment on the 17.5 blinky Offroad racing with open book on electronics.
It still comes down to setup as mentioned above and as it has always been in stock/controlled racing, condition of your stuff. Well cared for battery and motor combo is gonna be a big plus but it's not always brand X dominating.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

If anyone on here is looking at purchasing a new low cost ESC that is ROAR compliant for zero boost and has data logging I suggest taking a look at what Tekin has done. It works very well and the DATA logging feature is very helpful if you know how to interpret the data. If you wish to run whatever it is you have please feel free to do so.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

I remember the first Silvercan B/L debates for Minis a few years ago. B/L was being advanced as a panacea for the Mini class. The proponents were advancing the argument that it was simple, the systems would last much longer than a Silvercan, and "cheating" was nearly impossible, and would be less expensive in the long run.

I forwarded the idea that B/L would ultimately be more expensive, cheating would be rampant, and that there would be a huge problem with complexity and tech inspections. A TC racer was complaining he had a $300 day the week before. And that's not an unusual complaint.

The real problem in Mini right now, is not the motor problem. The problem is with the Spec tire. The current tire needs to be "doctored" and needs a careful break in. Then it's only good for a few runs. Quite frankly, it's destroying the turn out, eliminating the fun, and making it very expensive to race a Mini. There are a number of solutions to this, but that's another story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.