Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation ROAR approved electronics

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
This is a really bad move! If you know someone who knows someone, then you can get a special KillShot motor from a Trinity tuner and a special software version for the Orca ESC.

Blinky racing is slowly destroying electric on-road.

Solution:
1. Keep existing list of motors. Limit 1 motor per weekend. A-Main gets a second motor.
2. GT2- 17.5 - Open ESC, GT1 - 13.5 Open ESC
I mostly race GT-2, so I had two ESC's that I couldn't use this year, one was the Tekin Gen 2 and the other was the LRP Flow, I also had motors that weren't on the list. All these were bought off the shelf and no voodoo software.
Unforturnately, there are always going to be somebody who knows somebody on the inside that has access to electronics that nobody else can get. You just can't regulate that kind of behavior, so to penalize all racers for the very few doesn't make sense to me.
You have your concerns and I have mine, but Fred has the final say on what is legal and what is not.
Fred has tried to monitor electronics to eliminate the custom hybrid ESC's and motors and that is all we can expect is his best effort. He has done pretty good so far and to get it right 100% of the time is probably impossible, you can't make everybody happy when new rules are in place but he has tweeked them a little for good reason just to even the playing field.
Don't forget, even if someone has a tweeked ESC or motor they still have to be able to drive, so far they haven't come up with anything electronic to make you a better driver, excluding of coarse gyro's which are not legal for TCS anyway but I think you get my point!
Just my 2$

Last edited by maxepower; 09-25-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
This is a really bad move! If you know someone who knows someone, then you can get a special KillShot motor from a Trinity tuner and a special software version for the Orca ESC.

Blinky racing is slowly destroying electric on-road.

Solution:
1. Keep existing list of motors. Limit 1 motor per weekend. A-Main gets a second motor.
2. GT2- 17.5 - Open ESC, GT1 - 13.5 Open ESC
Open speedos almost destroyed on road racing. It's not perfect, but the alternative was a lot worse. It ruined RCGT for sure and sent a lot of racers to the greener pastures of offroad.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last edited by A-Ko; 09-28-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Opening up the motors and esc's to the ROAR list makes it easier to get more people to run TCS because they can run what they are already using at their local track all year long rather than have to plunk down more $$ to get a esc or motor that is on a limited list for TCS. Plus, how many local tracks have a limited list of esc or motor allowed for a class compared to allowing "ROAR legal" stuff for their races ? Plus it helps the local hobby shops or hobby shops on-site at tracks. At our local TQ Raceway track that also has a TCS race, a number of racers run the Schurr Speed motor that was not on the old list so a few did not run because they did not want to spend $ 90.00 + just for a motor to run one TCS race.

Kudos to Fred for changing a rule that helps make it easier to get more people into a TCS race and helps the local hobby shops sell their product.

Panda
Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I ran 21.5 in my Mini for the first time ever yesterday. Up until yesterday I have always ran the silver can it came with - which topped out at around 15,000 RPM so I was never happy with it and I was never willing to waste $200 on a bunch of motors to pick the fastest one.

Back to 21.5...this made all the difference in the world. The mini is so much fun now. I don't think it is a lot faster than a silver can as Chuck still had his silver can TCS car on track at the same time as me for a few runs. He, of course, is 200% faster than I am at all places on the track when skill is a factor but I did feel the 21.5 is a way more level playing field for mini.

I heard there may be some other brushless choices for mini, not necessarily 17.5 or 21.5. ..17.5 would be fun but my vote right now is for 21.5 ROAR approved motors (or pick one major manufacturer) and ROAR ESC in blinky mode.

Thank you again to Tamiya USA for allowing me to run on the track, and the mini mafia for allowing me to follow them around the track and provide tips and guidance.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

the 'cuda (the car wise guys) made the cover of Penthouse magazine November issue out now.
Thanks CL

Just sayin
Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Tcs

I wonder if there any chance the ff03 would be allowed next year.It is a really fun car and now with the ff03 evo kit is out it looks a lot better.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Any ideas as to when the 2014 rules will be ready?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tron
I ran 21.5 in my Mini for the first time ever yesterday. Up until yesterday I have always ran the silver can it came with - which topped out at around 15,000 RPM so I was never happy with it and I was never willing to waste $200 on a bunch of motors to pick the fastest one.

Back to 21.5...this made all the difference in the world. The mini is so much fun now. I don't think it is a lot faster than a silver can as Chuck still had his silver can TCS car on track at the same time as me for a few runs. He, of course, is 200% faster than I am at all places on the track when skill is a factor but I did feel the 21.5 is a way more level playing field for mini.

I heard there may be some other brushless choices for mini, not necessarily 17.5 or 21.5. ..17.5 would be fun but my vote right now is for 21.5 ROAR approved motors (or pick one major manufacturer) and ROAR ESC in blinky mode.

Thank you again to Tamiya USA for allowing me to run on the track, and the mini mafia for allowing me to follow them around the track and provide tips and guidance.
Yes, all the 21.5 Minis are smokin' fast at the TCS track. Even my 13t 380 HW has no chance on the straight there.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Does somebody have a link to what the rules are for the guys who go to Japan? I mean, what bodies are legal, tires, ect?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Hello everyone,

The ESC and motor debate continues so it seems.

I just got back from the 9th running of the International Indoor Championships. This year I decided to sponsor, attend and race in this great and super fun race. I ran 1/12, Formula One and Spec GT. I had a great time in all three. I especially enjoyed Spec GT and what Tekin has done to bring racing to a more fair and fun level in terms of the motor and electronics package. The racer was provided the NEW Tekin RS SPEC ESC. This thing has no boost and it is super smooth. It's by far their smoothest speedo. It also has a very helpful data logging function for your use. Anyway, the class had a locked timing rule for the 17.5 motor you got with the electronics package. The gearing was fixed to 4.5 (maximum), but you could gear down teeth if you wished. The racing was so close that your chassis tuning and driving did all the talking.
In any case I talked to Tekin about TCS and some of my ideas based on what I saw and experienced at IIC. These ideas can make things easier for organizers. These ideas can potentially alleviate the headache of choosing the right electronics. These ideas have the potential of leveling and brining closer racing and these ideas can alleviate the voodoo.
I HIGHLY recommend this ESC. It's smooth, reliable and you can use it in any class where no boost is allowed because it doesn't have it.
More to come.....
Old 10-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

does this have the potential to keep anything else from being allowed?
Did Tekin supply these as handout and return packages?
That would be ideal for racers
Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Questions?? Spec ESC and MOTOR?

Originally Posted by FMW
Hello everyone,

I just got back from the 9th running of the International Indoor Championships. This year I decided to sponsor, attend and race in this great and super fun race. I ran 1/12, Formula One and Spec GT. I had a great time in all three. I especially enjoyed Spec GT and what Tekin has done to bring racing to a more fair and fun level in terms of the motor and electronics package. The racer was provided the NEW Tekin RS SPEC ESC. This thing has no boost and it is super smooth. It's by far their smoothest speedo. It also has a very helpful data logging function for your use. Anyway, the class had a locked timing rule for the 17.5 motor you got with the electronics package. The gearing was fixed to 4.5 (maximum), but you could gear down teeth if you wished. The racing was so close that your chassis tuning and driving did all the talking.
In any case I talked to Tekin about TCS and some of my ideas based on what I saw and experienced at IIC. These ideas can make things easier for organizers. These ideas can potentially alleviate the headache of choosing the right electronics. These ideas have the potential of leveling and brining closer racing and these ideas can alleviate the voodoo.
I HIGHLY recommend this ESC. It's smooth, reliable and you can use it in any class where no boost is allowed because it doesn't have it.
More to come.....
So, You didn't run the Tekin Gen 2 ESC for the spec class at IIC?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by maxepower
So, You didn't run the Tekin Gen 2 ESC for the spec class at IIC?
Max...
RS Gen2 SPEC, not same RS Gen2 with boost capability

http://www.teamtekin.com/rs_spec.html
Old 10-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My initial reaction was and is "Ugh".

1. What makes this ESC different than any other ESC when in ROAR spec mode? Zero timing is zero timing correct?
2. 13.5T limit on this spec ESC. So it is basically useless unless specified for a race.
3. Seemingly this reads marketing hype for Tamiya and Tekin. I can see the press release now
4. Smoothness is really no reason to pick an ESC for 13.5 and up motor classes, is smoothness really a concern of anyone that uses any other ROAR spec ESC in blinky mode?
5. VooDoo is VooDoo. If there is a will there is a way.

I can't Lemming up and say I agree. Yet.

Originally Posted by FMW
Hello everyone,

More to come.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.