Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

If someone gets kicked out of gt3, is that car even legal for gt2?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Waltrip55
The only difference between the 2 classes is the motor. 17.5 vs 21.5
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kwkride
The only difference between the 2 classes is the motor. 17.5 vs 21.5
I understand that, just want to make sure someone could still run the car in gt2. Not everyone will be running 21.5 (me).
Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Running a GT3 car with the GT2 is actually a big disadvantage, it is more then though LEGAL to run GT3 car on GT2....then, there is a chance that he/she might not even has 17.5 motor to run at GT2. And definitely not allowing them to run the 21.5 on the GT2 especially on some smaller track, running 21.5 is actually as fast as running 17.5 or even have better lap time.

The idea of what I am saying is....before signing up the GT3, that person, need to seriously think about his position about racing the GT3 class. If he is thinking about sandbagging the race, he need to do a hell of a job for 2 days or he will be bumped up to the GT2 class when he will know his GT3 car will be alot harder to race compare to the GT2...plus he might not even have a 17.5.

It is like....THINK TWICE before you try to sandbagging.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Solara
Running a GT3 car with the GT2 is actually a big disadvantage, it is more then though LEGAL to run GT3 car on GT2....then, there is a chance that he/she might not even has 17.5 motor to run at GT2.

The idea of what I am saying is....before signing up the GT3, that person, need to seriously think about his position about racing the GT3 class. If he is thinking about sandbagging the race, he need to do a hell of a job for 2 days or he will be bumped up to the GT2 class when he will know his GT3 car will be alot harder to race compare to the GT2...plus he might not even have a 17.5.

It is like....THINK TWICE before you try to sandbagging.
Just want to make sure my group with Tt01s doesn't get screwed over. Last year we ran mid pack on the A with them, and I finished 3rd. We will run torque tuned motors with a cheap chassis again.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm really looking forward for running in TCS this year. But I'm faced with an issue: the B3 premounts are $46.99 a set. From my limited past experience, they don't last that well either.... Is there a similar characteristic tire I can go to to run at Tamiya america track? Also, If you got some used okay condition B3, I might be interested
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
I'm really looking forward for running in TCS this year. But I'm faced with an issue: the B3 premounts are $46.99 a set. From my limited past experience, they don't last that well either.... Is there a similar characteristic tire I can go to to run at Tamiya america track? Also, If you got some used okay condition B3, I might be interested
the B3's I used last year (GT1, outdoor asphalt, Mid-July ambient temps, around 100* track temp, ta05v2) still have the seam on them - and this was after a full TCS race day, so 2 qualifiers, main, multiple practice runs throughout the day.

so not sure if I got lucky, but they seem to wear pretty good, at least IMO
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone have a set of m chassis s grip premounts they want to get rid of ?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I woud love to give my opinion on this GT3 problem after running my first tcs race in Omaha. During practice i saw a lot of GT cars that were looking like they would be racing GT1 or GT2. These were very experienced drivers and had great skills. I have only been racing for about a year and Bruce and I came over from Iowa just to run GT1 and GT2. I do not believe I am an expert but I would not dream of racing GT3 with my skills. I was SHOCKED by the level of sandbaggers in GT3 at the race when we lined up for concours. It was great to finish 2nd in GT1 and 3rd in GT2 but I feel these classes should have been much fuller with the drivers there. I truly do not understand how these guys can sleep at night sticking it to the "NOVICE" GT racers there. I feel it is bad for the series and the sport goes all together. Let's Keep it honest and fair for all racing. It will make it a lot more fun for the new racers and just seems like the right thing to do. So many MINI racers had GT cars too, but did not race the faster classes. Woud have liked more competition. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just want to make sure my group with Tt01s doesn't get screwed over. Last year we ran mid pack on the A with them, and I finished 3rd. We will run torque tuned motors with a cheap chassis again.
Is it legal to run the Torque Tuned Motors in the TCS?
I thought the TT01 Class was limited to the 540 Johnson or Mabuchi Motors
Correct me if Im wrong Please!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
I was surprised myself when I saw the torque tuned motors mentioned, so I re read the rules for this year. Some, not all, of the classes that have been traditionally run with the silver can Johnson motors now also allow the torque tuned motors. I would check the TCS website to see if your class has been affected.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation A few things on my mind

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
The TTO1 can only run silver can in spec class.

The TTO1 can run torque/tuned, silver can, or 21.5 in GT3

To put in my 2 cents on the GT3 thing .I have ran with Bruce, Doc, Jeffery Stevens for many years and as soon as the rules changed (last season I believe). I made the switch to run mini only it is the most cost effective way for me to compete in the series. We all enjoyed the GT3 class for years but most of us knew it would be wrong to enter with the rule change. The only thing I do not like about the new rule is the 21.5 motor ,becuase on most tracks this is a very fast class and does not make for a smooth transition for a spec car or their walet.The Waltrip55 guys, I think you pitted next to us last year at Harbor Hobbies and you guys have TTO1 tub cars, 540s and race mabey 1 or 2 tmes a year and not seasoned veterans to the sport like many of us are ,you guys are perfect for GT3, But there were a few that did not belong in the class last year as well. If I see someone who I know does not belong I point it out to that person directly this year because I think the rule is clear enough. My only problem is the 21.5 thing because the cost goes up and with the rpm rules I do not think you will see to many 540s in the top 3. With that said hope to see all at Harbor Hobbies in less than 2 weeks. P.S. we do have at least two drivers signed up for spec/novice class 2 of my boys 6 and 9 year olds. So If you have spec drivers let them have some fun at a great place to race.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike.a
My only problem is the 21.5 thing because the cost goes up and with the rpm rules I do not think you will see to many 540s in the top 3.

Have raced GT3 class year round for many years. Also raced 10.5 thru 25.5 motors. Silvercans and Mabuchis have zero torque compared to brushless. Then add timing, adjustable rotors and 21.5 wind, don't think it is really fair for a BL competing against a speced brushed motor.

What motor comes in a Tamiya kit, not a BL. I don't think GT3 needs to be about money spent on a BL. Besides does that BL system money go into Tamiya's pocket? It should be about buying a kit that is better than spec. Waltrip is happy with his TT01s, thats cool. Don't let his disadvantage or anybodys be about the BL motor they don't have. If they want to run BL, they can step up to GT2.

Many guys might only go to one TCS race a year, some of my friends in years past, it was the only race. Their hook was they could buy a body, some tires, fiddle with their car setup and hope to do well. If they had to go BL to be competitive, they might look at spending that money towards a family vacation rather than 1 race or even just skip that race.

GT3 is not a BL class, it is a skill developing class.
I have not watched the rules due to I cannot race the class anymore.

Last edited by A-Ko; 02-25-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Novice

I will run the Spec class at Harbor Hobbies.

Dave Fugate
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mike.a
The Waltrip55 guys, I think you pitted next to us last year at Harbor Hobbies and you guys have TTO1 tub cars, 540s and race mabey 1 or 2 tmes a year and not seasoned veterans to the sport like many of us are ,you guys are perfect for GT3, ...

My brother and I race off road at a high level many times a year, but you are correct in us racing only 1 TCS a year (on road in general). Skill wise I can make A in other classes, but my equipment will keep it fun and even in GT3. I came from on road background but that is rusty after all that SC racing the past 2 years at trackside.

Stop by and say hi to the tt01 racers haha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.