Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdave1
I'm glad you were able to do that but i don't think you speak for everyone! How can you say everyone is in your position.

This topic always comes up and its always debated on who should run and who shouldn't. All I'm trying to say is why limit who can run in GT3 if that's the class they love.
I never said everyone is in my position.
I get tired of the economic times argument.
Yes the times suck, politics suck, costs going up suck.. everybody wants their pound and them some, more suck.

GT3 I get it.
It was my favorite class in TCS and locally. I am invested in the class.
When Tamiya changed the rules I moved on, was that easy, no.
My ability did not fit the rules plain and simple.
AND (very important)
For the longevity of TCS it NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

You expect a spec guy to be able to step up to GT2? Which is what it was like going to GT3 before the change. The cherry pickers need to move on!

Yet many of the guys I raced with competitively in GT3 are still racing it. Why? They cannot afford a BL system? Their tub chassis is not competitive in GT2? Their "Love" should not be overriding TCS rules, plain and simple.

At a TCS race last year. A driver who I fight in the A with in other classes asked me about the GT3 rules. I pretty much quoted the TCS rules to him and said to he is too advanced to race that class. He cried to the Track Owner that he did not have a 2nd class other than GT3. He raced, he TQed and won GT3. I did not know about it until 1/2 way through qualifying. Yet a good friend who might be a tick or two less than this other guy could not run GT3 due to being too "advanced".

There needs to be a list of drivers who cannot race GT3 anymore.
Like me, Bruce Hickman, Doc Mertes, the two Omaha guys, etc. . . Even guys who are in the A of GT2, GT1 and F1 should be out. Guys should know better, Tamiya needs to boot the ringers out of GT3.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Dave, as we discussed previously, I'd be willing to help you vet the list of GT3 drivers on TCS race day and move the 'experienced' ones to the FF03/GT3 Fast Guys class.

Just FYI, once again this year I will NOT be running GT3, so as to support what the TCS rulemakers are trying to accomplish.

It hurts, but there you have it.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

Like me, Bruce Hickman, Doc Mertes, the two Omaha guys, etc. . . Even guys who are in the A of GT2, GT1 and F1 should be out. Guys should know better, Tamiya needs to boot the ringers out of GT3.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko

Like me, Bruce Hickman, Doc Mertes, the two Omaha guys, etc. . . Even guys who are in the A of GT2, GT1 and F1 should be out. Guys should know better, Tamiya needs to boot the ringers out of GT3.
+1 on a published list.

I would really like to know who I'm looking for.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Dave, as we discussed previously, I'd be willing to help you vet the list of GT3 drivers on TCS race day and move the 'experienced' ones to the FF03/GT3 Fast Guys class.

Just FYI, once again this year I will NOT be running GT3, so as to support what the TCS rulemakers are trying to accomplish.

It hurts, but there you have it.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Alas, we reside and race on the East Coast, and nobody thinks we have anything to offer or have any knowledge on the subject. Our input falls on deaf ears...

Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default GT3

Hi Doc,
Several years ago I got lucky (Allen had a servo failure) and won GT3. My FF03 is really fun to drive, and I'd love to kick Doc's butt in today's GT3, but neither of us can enter under the new guidelines. So, I'll just have to be satisfied with trying to kick his butt in Mini...
But going to a Nationals in only one class is a little too "time on your hands", and GT2 is a really competitive, expensive class to compete. We're both a little too "advanced" for that...
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I don't have a job, I made that switch, that is no excuse!
I don't have a job either, allows quite a bit of freedom if you budget correctly.

Kudos to you and Doc, TCS is strong because its racer supported. The continued encouragement of entering the hobby and the sport needs to continue to happen.

Especially since ROAR's presence on the west coast isn't what I would call overwhelming.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Waltrip55
When I was new I learned by getting my butt kicked. I asked questions and followed lines. Gt3 really shouldn't be spec 2
I understand that GT3 shouldn't be with all the crashing and etc. that happens with Spec, but I think it's meant to be for more inexperienced racers. You can't expect people to make the jump from spec straight to GT2.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WongTamiya
I understand that GT3 shouldn't be with all the crashing and etc. that happens with Spec, but I think it's meant to be for more inexperienced racers. You can't expect people to make the jump from spec straight to GT2.
I have YET to see IFMAR or TCS race where even the top classes made it to turn one without somebody on their lid. GT3 is only slightly worst because of the lack of experience.

Spec the cars are just slow but there reasons for that and it has little to do with the rules actually.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
Hi Doc,
Several years ago I got lucky (Allen had a servo failure) and won GT3. My FF03 is really fun to drive, and I'd love to kick Doc's butt in today's GT3, but neither of us can enter under the new guidelines. So, I'll just have to be satisfied with trying to kick his butt in Mini...
But going to a Nationals in only one class is a little too "time on your hands", and GT2 is a really competitive, expensive class to compete. We're both a little too "advanced" for that...
March 24 you can get your chance to kick Doc's butt in our exhibition class where the SKILLED GT3 and FF03 racers will have a place to race. We will have a TCS warmup on Saturday march 23 also.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

Hello TCS Racers,
I'm going to start something new for TCS this year (should also alleviate some issues that have been brought up such as class eligibility/skill level). We will be issuing TCS Racing licenses to participate in TCS events. It will be free of charge and just a few things to fill out (should be about as easy as registering for an event). Iím hoping to expand this to make sign-ups for events easier and many other exciting possibilities. An online form is in progress and I will let you know when and where to go to register for your TCS Racing license!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Carlton- I've received your messages and responded through the forum message service because the e-mail attached to your PM is not valid. Go ahead and shoot me an e-mail directly at [email protected] so I can respond via e-mail, which is much easier for me.

All is good, no problems, see you on Sunday.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 AM
Tech Addict

Question for thought.

Where does a race director draw the line and tell someone they are to skilled?
Is it general driving skill? More than 1 win in the class? Podium finish 2 or more times?

I myself have never raced GT3 nor do I plan on it, i'm very content with F1 and mini cooper.
But i will be involved with making this decision in an upcoming event.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdave1
Question for thought.

Where does a race director draw the line and tell someone they are to skilled?
Is it general driving skill? More than 1 win in the class? Podium finish 2 or more times?

I myself have never raced GT3 nor do I plan on it, i'm very content with F1 and mini cooper.
But i will be involved with making this decision in an upcoming event.
If a GT3 car is on the same lap as the fast cars in GT2 then that driver should move to GT2. Judging skill level is always going to be some where in the gray area. It is not an easy thing to do. I think the tracks and Tamiya are doing a good job at this. I don't see the problem with the same guy winning year after year. Since everyone is running the same motor, to me that just means that the rest of the field needs to get faster. There is one thing that David and Tamiya can do to stop all arguments and that is, remove the intermediate and put all racers. Since the classes are regulated by motor there is really no need to have driving skill level.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by v_squared
Since the classes are regulated by motor there is really no need to have driving skill level.
I don't agree with this at all. If you look at the Mini class, Erik Wippler was running more than a second quicker than our normal fast laps for club racing on that same layout. In fact the winner of the A main last night had a fast lap of 15.760 - Erik was running mid 14s. That is all because of the difference in driving skill. (This is not to pick on Erik or the Mini class, it's just an example of the difference in skill level)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.