Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CSeils
David J
With 18 days to go, when will registration open for the Illinois race?

If registration only opens after the previous race, I sympathize with people trying to register and make plans for the March 24th race.
I'm not sure why the registration wasn't open but it will be corrected today. There should be no issues for anyone making plans to attend the event.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rccardr
Charlie and Jimmie were allowed to run GT3?

I thought us experienced silver can guys were tossed out of that class.
I've yet to see anyone get tossed out of a class. When my brother started in spec years ago someone dominated spec and ran another class. Last year in gt3 it was a mix of good/beginner drivers. I'm running gt3 based purely on what I have chassis wise and cost.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Charlie and Jimmie were allowed to run GT3?

I thought us experienced silver can guys were tossed out of that class.
This makes it very hard to police the class. Why not just have fun and let everyone run the class they want and have the equipment for. With economic times as they are some may not have the money for a new car or brushless setup. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Wow. So tracks aren't enforcing the rules in the series that has the most rules. Go figure.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

That is kind of disheartening.

I guess it is harder for tracks to enforce rules and potentially anger their loyal customers by trying to make it fair and worthwhile for beginners to join in on the action.

Believe me, I understand business is business. But this is supposed to be a hobby first.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdave1
This makes it very hard to police the class. Why not just have fun and let everyone run the class they want and have the equipment for. With economic times as they are some may not have the money for a new car or brushless setup. Just my 2 cents.
I don't have a job, I made that switch, that is no excuse!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm surprised to see comments about tracks not enforcing rules.
There may be more to this story that I am not aware of.
I don't see how tracks could limit who could, or could not run in a class when they are from out of town. A track can tell their own top drivers that they can't run in a certain class, but how are you going to know how good someone else is when they sign up.

With all that said, I ran in the GT3 class myself. (Won the "B" main )
I don't think anyone complained about any of the drivers in the GT3 class.

(BTW, I don't think anybody in GT3 ran a silver can.)
Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by A-Ko
I don't have a job, I made that switch, that is no excuse!
I'm glad you were able to do that but i don't think you speak for everyone! How can you say everyone is in your position.

This topic always comes up and its always debated on who should run and who shouldn't. All I'm trying to say is why limit who can run in GT3 if that's the class they love.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdave1
I'm glad you were able to do that but i don't think you speak for everyone! How can you say everyone is in your position.

This topic always comes up and its always debated on who should run and who shouldn't. All I'm trying to say is why limit who can run in GT3 if that's the class they love.
But it hurts the people who are just coming up from spec and are still relatively new to RC.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WongTamiya
But it hurts the people who are just coming up from spec and are still relatively new to RC.
When I was new I learned by getting my butt kicked. I asked questions and followed lines. Gt3 really shouldn't be spec 2
Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think anyone got my point... But, that is consistent with this thread,... sadly.

We, the racers, have really screwed up TCS.!!! It ain't cheap to run spec. That is delusional thinking. "TCS spec" - OK - run box stock (including speed control) in all classes. You got Mini - front drive, rear drive, 4wd mini- , F1, FF, 4wd touring. That's a good amount of classes right there. Now it's cheap and affordable. Run what you get in the Tamiya kit box. There you go. Any other opening brings the $$$$$$$ in. (BTW, I always find it interesting that the fastest guys in these, so called, cheap [read 'affordable'] classes are the ones that don't want to change the rules or open things up).

Or go brushless (blinky) Lipo. TCS needs to keep up with technology or it will die.

That's all there is to it

Signed,

Retired (sick of the constant specing and changing of rules - to keep things fair [yeah, right!] - BS) TCS racer.

Last edited by SMcD; 02-19-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Curious:

Who here running Mini class has less than 300$ tied up in their car (not including electronics)??!??

We are talking about a 150$ car with a speed control and a motor in the box...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
...run box stock (including speed control) in all classes. Run what you get in the Tamiya kit box...
We've been having the same debate within our own (TCS unrelated) sanctioning body. The problem is what counts as "box stock"? There are so many variations in the kits, from the basics to the "R" and "Pro" versions that box stock is essentially meaningless. Besides that, the genie is already out of the bottle. It's damn near impossible to get him back in there.

It could happen, but there'd be a lot of butt hurt gear sluts whining.

Originally Posted by SMcD
...Or go brushless (blinky) Lipo. TCS needs to keep up with technology or it will die...
Bingo dingo. Blinky brushless spec saved and then grew our mini class massively here. When you get 20+ guys showing up with minis every Friday and/or Saturday for a club race (2 clubs here) in a smaller city like mine, you know you're doing something right. I think TCS has gone with LiPo already, although I don't understand Tamiya Japan's fondness for the oddball LiFe technology.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dave, as we discussed previously, I'd be willing to help you vet the list of GT3 drivers on TCS race day and move the 'experienced' ones to the FF03/GT3 Fast Guys class.

Just FYI, once again this year I will NOT be running GT3, so as to support what the TCS rulemakers are trying to accomplish.

It hurts, but there you have it.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

Dave, as we discussed previously, I'd be willing to help you vet the list of GT3 drivers on TCS race day and move the 'experienced' ones to the FF03/GT3 Fast Guys class.

Just FYI, once again this year I will NOT be running GT3, so as to support what the TCS rulemakers are trying to accomplish.

It hurts, but there you have it.
I hear you Doc, but it really is a shame to not let people race the class that they love and enjoy. What really sucks is when you get a racer from out of town that comes to race GT3 and then I have to tell him he is to skilled to race the class and will have to move up. What if he has no other car? Does he go home?

See you on Sunday Doc, we had a full heat of mini last Sunday and the racing was great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.