Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gruman28
Does anyone have a suggestion for a body for GT 3? I know all the choices, but everyone has their favorite. I will be running a TA05 Ver II.

thanks
Chris
i liked the ferarri 599xx - ran it in GT1 last year and it worked really well. saw someone over the weekend do very good with it on a TT01 w/silver can...i'll be running GT3 this year (because of the new rules)

i think i'm going to try the new subaru that's out and keep the 599xx as a backup
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Leaning towards the Subaru. My wife says the R8. Any others?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David J.
Craig, with FF03 now in GT3 this year, the gearing restriction is lifted (you can run whatever you want) and you do not have to run the gear cover.

IMO, with 21.5 or silver can motors, I think the FF03 can be competitive with the other 4WD GT3 cars. It will vary based on the track and how big or small it is. The FF03 will have an advantage on the straights and the 4WD will have an advantage out of the corners. At the finals last year Alan finished 3rd in GT3 with an FF03.
Thanks David,

I don't want to open a can of worms but I ask because I am interested.

The website says : The Tamiya GT-3 class is for novice to intermediate skill level racers only.
I might be considered closer to an 'Advanced racer' by some. I do however have a FF03 and did enjoy racing it in the TCS series. Now that there is no longer an individual class, I am interested and intrigued to run it with a 21.5 against the 4wd GT3 cars. (No aspirations of Japan in this class for me, just racing for pure fun/challenge)

Will I be able to run my FF03 21.5 in the GT3 class? I don't consider Alan to be an 'intermediate'. He was beating me years ago when he raced TCS on the east coast

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcdave1
Doc you beat me to it! But for anyone interested we are having a warm-up this saturday Feb 2 and also the Saturday before the TCS in march. Feb 2 we will be teching cars at racer request and we will also have our scale and motor dyno on hand if you would like your silver cans checked.

Address:
Hobbytown USA
919c East ST.
Frederick, MD

Please park in rear of building.
Doors open at 10am and we start racing at 1pm
Bad Timing on my part I will be out in SoCal this weekend seeing my folks and practicing with Bruce and Mr. Hinkley at the Tamiya Track getting ready for the 1st TCS race at Aliso Viejo in April 2013.
I will make the 2nd warm - up race just before the Frederick TCS in March.
I will attempt to recruit some SoCal Regulars to come back to Frederick for the March and June TCS Races!
The Carpet is really starting to come into some GREAT GRIP on the new CRC Carpet!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default LRP FLOW ESC

Originally Posted by David J.
Craig, with FF03 now in GT3 this year, the gearing restriction is lifted (you can run whatever you want) and you do not have to run the gear cover.

IMO, with 21.5 or silver can motors, I think the FF03 can be competitive with the other 4WD GT3 cars. It will vary based on the track and how big or small it is. The FF03 will have an advantage on the straights and the 4WD will have an advantage out of the corners. At the finals last year Alan finished 3rd in GT3 with an FF03.
Dave:
Will the new LRP "Flow" ESC ever become legal for the TCS Rule Book it has a "Blinky" Mode?

Thx,
Steve
"TCS F1 BABY"
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hickmeister

Dave:
Will the new LRP "Flow" ESC ever become legal for the TCS Rule Book it has a "Blinky" Mode?

Thx,
Steve
"TCS F1 BABY"
+1
Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Markus
Thanks David,

I don't want to open a can of worms but I ask because I am interested.

The website says : The Tamiya GT-3 class is for novice to intermediate skill level racers only.
I might be considered closer to an 'Advanced racer' by some. I do however have a FF03 and did enjoy racing it in the TCS series. Now that there is no longer an individual class, I am interested and intrigued to run it with a 21.5 against the 4wd GT3 cars. (No aspirations of Japan in this class for me, just racing for pure fun/challenge)

Will I be able to run my FF03 21.5 in the GT3 class? I don't consider Alan to be an 'intermediate'. He was beating me years ago when he raced TCS on the east coast

Thanks.
Alan raced in GT3 last year during the nationals because of two reasons. First, it wasn't a trip winning class and second, there weren't enough entries to have a FF03 class by itself. He would not be eligable to race GT3 this year.

Skill level is controlled by the host sites. If you are an advanced racer, you should not run GT3. It's intended as a stepping stone from Spec Novice.

Originally Posted by hickmeister

Dave:

Thx,
Steve
"TCS F1 BABY"
The LRP Flow is pending approval for 2014.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

this whole racer level thing is a tough judgement.... TCS = fun AND = serious racing... you need a really strong - experienced local race director to keep the playing field somewhat even...
Some of the most fun you can have racing is a " slower " class running side by side.. swapping paint gently ..all while having fun.
The higher speed classes are fun too, but when you push the limits of grip, a slight touch can destroy your toy car... markus knows... I have assisted him to a few ' board meetings " ! but still all in good fun
Old 01-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Casey
this whole racer level thing is a tough judgement.... TCS = fun AND = serious racing... you need a really strong - experienced local race director to keep the playing field somewhat even...
Some of the most fun you can have racing is a " slower " class running side by side.. swapping paint gently ..all while having fun.
The higher speed classes are fun too, but when you push the limits of grip, a slight touch can destroy your toy car... markus knows... I have assisted him to a few ' board meetings " ! but still all in good fun
Absolutely, itís definitely not always black and white. However, the goal is not to scrutinize excessively because the priority it to keep it fun yet competitive. Spec Novice and GT3 the only two classes that have a set skill level. There will always be someone that is a step ahead in terms of skill and speed in every class. We just donít want an obvious expert driver running circles around the new guys. Iíve found that the drivers help to police the classes as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Thanks for the clarification. I already knew that I probably shouldn't run GT3. I just like driving the FF03 and I was trying to find somewhere to run it.

and yes Casey, it is always in good fun. even when I help you to the 'Board Meetings'
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey guys, Just to clear a couple things up for TCS race number 179 at the Coliseum, i noticed a couple of out locals had asked about running in the GT3 class using FF03 chassis. Since there is no longer a "Novice" class I would like to keep experienced level drivers out of the GT3 class, Dave Banks from my race council has already spoken with David Jun about it and we will be offering the FF03 class as an exhibition class at our race. There will not be prizes or any kind of trophies given so it will only be for bragging rights. If there is at least 3 FF03 drivers then I will run the class. So bring as many as you can!

Also, tomorrow will be a TCS warm-up race we will do race tech at racers request so they can prepare for the race coming in March.

See you then!
-Randy Banks
Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Originally Posted by COLD AS ICE
Hey guys, Just to clear a couple things up for TCS race number 179 at the Coliseum, i noticed a couple of out locals had asked about running in the GT3 class using FF03 chassis. Since there is no longer a "Novice" class I would like to keep experienced level drivers out of the GT3 class, Dave Banks from my race council has already spoken with David Jun about it and we will be offering the FF03 class as an exhibition class at our race. There will not be prizes or any kind of trophies given so it will only be for bragging rights. If there is at least 3 FF03 drivers then I will run the class. So bring as many as you can!

Also, tomorrow will be a TCS warm-up race we will do race tech at racers request so they can prepare for the race coming in March.

See you then!
-Randy Banks
Did I miss the no novice announcement?? I thought there was still spec/novice class??

My understanding was:
Spec/novice - beginners
GT3-intermediate
GT2-experienced
GT1-expert
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Did I miss the no novice announcement?? I thought there was still spec/novice class??

My understanding was:
Spec/novice - beginners
GT3-intermediate
GT2-experienced
GT1-expert
Your correct their is a spec/novice and that was my mistake and with that info I misinformed my son who is the race director. I do apoligize for my mistake.

On another note we will still be offering the FF03 class for all the racers who are still wanting to race these fun race cars.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by COLD AS ICE
There will not be prizes or any kind
Pfft! I'll donate a Civic Type-R body I got from Mimi's TCS last year to the winner.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Type A vs Type C tires

I bought a set of Type A and Type C tires to mount up for TCS Omaha. I found the type C's to be noticeably larger in diameter compared to the type A's. I have found a couple other people prepping for the race that have found the same thing. Is this on purpose to get more air gap?

Seeing this I'm not sure how to deal with building the wheels in regards to inserts. Any suggestions?

Here's a picture to show the difference.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/11773841-post79.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.