Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Hi guys,

Feeling a bit lazy when it comes to researching, can someone confirm which of the esc's on the list run on 1s without a booster pack? Thinking for 1/12!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Hi guys,

Feeling a bit lazy when it comes to researching, can someone confirm which of the esc's on the list run on 1s without a booster pack? Thinking for 1/12!
Most popular 1s esc on the list which run sans booster
LRP Stock Spec, and all SXX V2 models
Note.
LRP Update board removes 1s bec function, you will need a rec pack or booster if running the new board

Hobbywing 1s

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 12-04-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: SXX Update boards
Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

are the final results for Japan posted anywhere?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
are the final results for Japan posted anywhere?
yeah, what he said!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 2012 Tamiya World Championship

Hi All.

It's been several weeks since our return from Japan and I would like to take this opportunity to share with you some of our experiences and memories from the trip.

Please keep in mind, I was part of a group of North American champions, Anthony (F1), Mihai (GT2), and Gordie (Mini) along with our handlers Brian (US) and Tom (Canada). The following is a summary of the trip from my perspective. I hope the other guys can chime in with things they want to share.

First and foremost, I would like to express my gratitude with a heart felt thank you to Tamiya America for the TCS series. Throughout the years of playing with cars at the Tamiya track, the friendship and racing family are the things that I enjoy most.

I would also like to extend my thanks to Tamiya, Inc., its staff, and all of the organizers for hosting the Tamiya Fair and World Championship race, along with their generous support, hospitality, and everything that they've done for the hobby community.

T Minus 4 weeks
I can count the total number of carpet races I've competed in on one hand. In order to be better prepared for our Japan trip, I've been practicing at TQ Raceway's carpet track in Chino, CA. Hopefully all of the practice will pay off...

A couple of pre-trashing glamour shots of my TRF-417x Reedy Edition with an Audi R8 painted by franksbodies in my usual race scheme, but with chrome, glitter, and sparkle. Bling bling.

Travel Daze 1-2
Tuesday-Wednesday, November 13-14, 2012

The trip begins by cruising over to Brian house at 6:30 in the morning to hitch a shuttle ride to LAX, where we'll meet up with Anthony for our 10:15 flight. I was informed that the Canadian team will be traveling to Japan separately, instead of meeting at LAX. This worked out well since it stream-lined our travel without the need to herd a larger group through the different stages of our journey.

Outside the LAX terminal before going through check in and security. It's going to be a long flight...

By the way, Korean Air is awesome. Their staff was helpful, kind, and courteous, not to mention pleasing on the eyes. On the other hand...TSA. They make you feel like a criminal in your own country, meh.

Anyways, since we had a few minutes before our flight, we visited the duty free shops to pick up a bunch of random stuff and snacks, like carmel filled Ghiradelli chocolate squares. Anthony was hungry so he went to get breakfast, while Brian and I had other plans. Hoping that we can shorten our flight with "time traveling" (passing out and waking up at our destination) Brian and I had an all you-can-eat liquid breakfast.

Needless to say were were happy campers with our own rows of window, aisle, and bulkhead seats.

Two hours into the flight and we still see land.

The perpetual reminder that it's a looong flight.

One of the two meals along with countless snacks that were served. Roast beef yum! No joke.

After a couple of naps and watching the movies Ted, Prometheus, and Senna, I finally see land!

As soon as we got our luggage, cleared customs, and got outside, we took take care of some much needed business before purchasing our train tickets for Narita to Shinagawa and the Shinkasen ride from Shinagawa to Shizuoka.

Anthony looking pretty stoked while we wait for Brian to get our tickets.

It's amazing how everything is super clean. These are the window sills of the Nartia-Shinigawa train You could literally eat off of them.

Too bad Coronas are imports...

Brian told me to take this photo lol.

We're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, our last leg of the trip is an hour long ride on a bullet train named Hitomi from Shinagawa to Shizuoka. I tried to chat with a young woman seated next to me but the language barrier was just too much, even with a concentrated effort of speaking Engrish. We all ended up sharing the Ghiradelli chocolate and she was pleased when we left the rest with her.

The boys are looking spent...

Once we arrived at the Century hotel in Shizuoka, we checked in, unpacked, freshened up, and had dinner downstairs.
As a nice bookend to our travel daze, we enjoyed several frosty beverages.

Kanpai!

And finally, a splendid night view of Shizuoka before trying to sleep...

If you guys want, I'll continue with activities for each day. However, this post took a bit more time than anticipated but I'll try to get each day out as quickly as possible. Cheers!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks Rod. Brings back some great memories. I found a video camera from the year I went. Some great videos that have never seen daylight! Keep up the trip diary!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Great write up Rod...Keep going...
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Rod jimi here I want that ta0 5 from soloman he gave you 2 phone# yesterday at the track have him call me 949 315 1607 my cell
Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Default 2012 Tamiya World Championship - Day 3

Day 3
Thursday, November 15, 2012

...So much for tyring to sleep. Despite the night caps, 3 hours of really broken sleep was all I could get. At oh-dark thirty in the morning, I finally gave up and went out to visit one of my favorite things about Japan.

Loaded up on caffiene, I unpacked my rc gear and gave everything a quick once over. Fortunately, security did not bother with inspecting my luggage as everything was in one piece and where it should be. With nothing better to do, I did some web surfing and watched who knows what on television. Eventually, the sun finally came up and I got my virst view of Fuji-san.

Today was a short day in regards to officially scheduled activities and we will have the afternoon as free time. After gathering downstairs for breakfast, we met with all of the other international drivers and started our day.

Back of the short-bus

Vertical housing

Tamiya Inc.'s headquarters

Once we arrived at Tamiya's headquarters, we were brought into a conference room for our drivers meeting that included a speech by M. Tamiya and introductions from all the drivers, translators, and staff that will be available to help us out.

Schedule and rules package.

After a video presentation, we were turned loose with the company tour. Most places that we've seen in the past AND have taken pictures of are now "no photo" zones. Wierd, but understandable, given some of the sensitive projects that Tamiya is working on. We were able to take photo's of their lobby and various in-house museums.

Before our departure from Tamiya's headquarters. We were gathered into the reception area, where Tamiya gifted us all with Tamtech Lamborghini RTRs. Pretty sweet!

After the tour, our last "official" stop, was a quick visit to Tamiya's Oshika Circuit in Shizuoka.

Given that we had no cars or batteries to run on this fun looking track, and seeing as how none of the other international drivers knew about the track's proximity to one our favorite places, we snuck away from the group and ninja'ed our way next door to do a little reconnaissance run...

We will be back for sure.

Afterwards we were dropped off at the hotel around noon and we had the rest of the day to do anything we want. We took a quick trip upstairs to unload our loot before heading out for a lunch-time walkabout.

Located next door to the Century Hotel was the Shizuoka Hobby Square, a permanant exhibit area that displays the latest products from all of the Shizuoka-based hobby manufacturers. There was cool stuff everywhere and experienced a fair amount of sensory overload. Anthony has the good photos since my cameras failed at capturing the amazing details of the displays they had. Here are a few photos that I was able to capture.

If I ever get back into plastic modeling, I found my first project. The RX-0 Full Armor Unicorn Gundam Ver.Ka

At this point we started to get hungry and decided to search for food in Shizuoka's train station mall. After several laps of the mall and looking at pictures/replicas of food, we settled down for a nice curry lunch served by a cute waitress, who spoke zero English, and washed the meal down with a couple of large glasses of domestic brew.

Initially, we thought this was a really nice looking appliance store filled with nothing but women...but then we realized it was a cooking school inside the mall. Whoops...stupid Americans lol.

A pachinko bar next to the train station, filled with the world's best slingshot ammunition.

Earlier, we all planned to go to the Bandai store after lunch, but after numerous extremely hot/cold temperature changes, along with no sleep, and being packed in with lots of people, I started to have that feeling that I may be catching something. I passed on the side trip to Bandai, and opted to double dose on Airborn and take a nap. This turned out to be a good decision as I was successfully able to fight off whatever was ailing me. Anthony went ahead and we'll get together once he gets back.

On a side note, smoking outside of designated areas is illegal in Japan, and if caught, a fine of about $100 US must be paid on the spot. We were never caught. This is the smoking booth in the Century. Brian says that the walls were white last month lol.

When Anthony returned, we all hopped in a cab and went back to Rainbow 10 to completely immerse ourselves in sensory overload with all things hobby related.

After a rally-style taxi ride back to the hotel, we had dinner, followed by a brief wrenching session in order to perpare our initial setups for the first practice day at the Tamiya World Championships tomorrow. Brian had other plans...

After drinking, it was off to bed for another attempt at getting some sleep.

Last edited by rtypec; 12-09-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Like a good soap opera....leave us wanting more...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Yeah, I'm sure this will be about 13 times better than what Tamiya America will post...KEEP IT UP!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys. I'm trying to post these things as soon as possible, but they take a bit of time to produce. I need to get permission from certain individuals before working on the next day I promise there will be some heavily photoslopped pictures as well as a rated-R one later in the trip
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rtypec
Thanks guys. I'm trying to post these things as soon as possible, but they take a bit of time to produce. I need to get permission from certain individuals before working on the next day I promise there will be some heavily photoslopped pictures as well as a rated-R one later in the trip
Damn dude
Some of the best content on the web right there !
Thank for sharing

I would have put up some reports from when I went back in the day
But I don't think we had internet or colour pics back then
And I'm not much of a sketch arteest
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Most places that we've seen in the past AND have taken pictures of are now "no photo" zones. Weird, but understandable, given some of the sensitive projects that Tamiya is working on.
So, you can't give us too much detail, but can you at least say that you saw any next generation M chassis stuff? Did Tamiya come to their senses and "de-engineer" the car? Did they draw and quarter the guy responsible for LiFe batteries and 380 sized motors in the M-Four? Even if th gear ratio remains consistent, I'll be happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.