Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Uh yeah what Chris said. Hey get yer TAOB butt up here for the TCS.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Hey I saw Izzys Reedy video and really liked it and it seemed like my kind of track. I am thinking of making the pilgrimage to the Aug TCS race with my humble TA04. I plan on running GT2.

What has been a good setup as far as bodies, tire inserts and gearing for the Mabuchi motor? Is the lightweight arms set a good call for that track?

Eager and excited.

Coop
Old 07-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Still Eager and Excited...

Coop
Old 07-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Haha- no one wants to spill the beans

Ok, as a past champion I hope this info is still valid so here goes;

The firmer the shocks the better. The track loves a firmly set up car. 60wt with purple springs up front, 40wt with white or yellow springs in back. Use minimal droop in back.
For tires try many. Bring A's, B's and the new B3's. Never tried the B3's but I hear they are ok. Remember to adjust to the weather. Early heats use A's, mid day any thing else. Remember the mains for the Nats will cool down dramatically. Prepare to use the A's. If you can't find enough tires to run 1 run each you'll need slightly softer inserts to maximize their grip after a few runs. Make sure they all have a good airgap though what ever you use.
The two fast bodies have been the Modena and the NSX, lightweight versions.
Motor- gear to the moon. 5.5 final if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps some
Old 07-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeR
Haha- no one wants to spill the beans

Ok, as a past champion I hope this info is still valid so here goes;

The firmer the shocks the better. The track loves a firmly set up car. 60wt with purple springs up front, 40wt with white or yellow springs in back. Use minimal droop in back.
For tires try many. Bring A's, B's and the new B3's. Never tried the B3's but I hear they are ok. Remember to adjust to the weather. Early heats use A's, mid day any thing else. Remember the mains for the Nats will cool down dramatically. Prepare to use the A's. If you can't find enough tires to run 1 run each you'll need slightly softer inserts to maximize their grip after a few runs. Make sure they all have a good airgap though what ever you use.
The two fast bodies have been the Modena and the NSX, lightweight versions.
Motor- gear to the moon. 5.5 final if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps some
Wow great info Mike!

Do you tend to use o-rings or those red things inside the shocks?

About when does the track do its cool-down? Are the two (black/blue)Tamiya inserts any good? Is there a better preference?

"Gear to the moon" I did not think the mabuchies could hold up to that kind of abuse....

Thank you for some great info and yes it helps me very much.

Coop
Old 07-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Coop-
* For inserts, try HPI Oranges all around. If you like a little less steering go to HPI greens or blues up front. In my opinion the stock Tamiya inserts leave too much air gap and the tires get all floppy. They are great for Mini inserts, tho!

* For gearing, I've seen everything from 5.65 down to 4.9...yes, 4.9! The motor will run super hot, but if you can keep your speed up in the infield you'll do well. But remember you only get one motor this year, so don't fry it too early!

* Run a one-way. Last time I checked all the fast guys do. Harder to control if you're not used to it, but it does make the car rotate better.

* Tires. Bring at least two new sets just for the weekend, more for practice. In GT3 I've found the B3's to be good for three runs, with the third being fastest. Your results may vary.

* Also, if you haven't participated in any TCS Regional race, you should call Tamiya and make sure you will be permitted to enter the Nats. Not sure if you can run in the Nationals if you haven't been in a regional event. Good news is that there are two left: one this coming Sunday in Laurel MD and the last in Seattle in August. Worth it just for the experience, if you ask me.

Good luck, and see you in LA!
Later
Doc
Old 07-27-2005, 04:23 AM
Tech Regular

Doc,

Thanks for the info. I have not raced a regional yet and I am looking at "trying" to check out the washington race. Seems like whenever I plan one of these things something drastic happens... lol

If I cannot make that then will try calling Tamiya and begging...

I am a decent driver, it would be nice to go out there with something very close to being competive. Then I can just blame the driver and not the car... ha

Anyways I have a few friends that race the series and it would be nice to finally meet them in SoCal.

Coop
Old 07-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you MUST run a regional event. No begging, no pleading, no wiggle room.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya National Finals!

I've been running the TCS races for 4 years and there is no exceptions to that one rule! Fred runs a tight ship when it comes to rules. I can hear him now " If I bend the rules for one person then I'll have to bend them for everybody".!
So there will be no special treatment for one or all!
This is only fair for everybody, I'm sure racers have asked him in the past if he could make an exception!
Just try and find a way to run a regional race. Once your name is on the list regardless of how you did in the race, your in!!
Good Luck!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Chris, my son Tom just turned 17, not old enough to get into the nudie bar
My aunt lives 5min from the trac, I was just whinning
Kevin just found out this morning, boy if you think I was whinning, just wait for his posts
Besides, that was my only chance to get away from the wife for a whole week, RATS.
Fred...did you get my PM?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like a road-trip to Washington! ! !

So far everything is a go....
Old 07-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Last edited by eeyan; 07-31-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Coop are you the mystery Modesto person? Doug commented he talked with someone from down there who was thinking of coming up......

Katzer call me I don't have your new #
Old 07-31-2005, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

So who's gonna be the top man this year at Nationals this year for Gt-1 GT-2 F1 and Mini? Sorry I won't make it out to Tamiya til me and my parents move to California in 2007. Also Ya think someone might have a chance of winning the Tamiya World Championship this year in Japan? Post your thoughts now!

-Lee
Old 07-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Difuser
Coop are you the mystery Modesto person? Doug commented he talked with someone from down there who was thinking of coming up......
Nooo... I don't even own a mask....

Coop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.