Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 AM
  #17371  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

My only advice is the old coach's quote, "K.I.S.S."
MD is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 AM
  #17372  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (54)
 
Jethroz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 593
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

I think further diluting of the classes is not the route to go. Of the three TCS events I did this year, only one (TCS# 174) had a B-main (GT3) in any of the TC classes. The only change I think needs to be made is 21.5/25.5 in GT3 and leave the silver cans for Spec.

As far as USGT/USTVA style classes being added, what would the proposed tires be for these classes? I honestly doubt Tamiya will organize a series which calls for tires made by another manufacturer. This is one of the reasons I like the current TCS format so well - the purity of the cars. Tamiya chassis/parts, Tamiya tires, Tamiya bodies.

Let us not forget that TCS is an amateur racing series.
Jethroz is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 AM
  #17373  
Tech Addict
 
Waltrip55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 578
Default

Originally Posted by Jethroz
I think further diluting of the classes is not the route to go. Of the three TCS events I did this year, only one (TCS# 174) had a B-main (GT3) in any of the TC classes. The only change I think needs to be made is 21.5/25.5 in GT3 and leave the silver cans for Spec.

As far as USGT/USTVA style classes being added, what would the proposed tires be for these classes? I honestly doubt Tamiya will organize a series which calls for tires made by another manufacturer. This is one of the reasons I like the current TCS format so well - the purity of the cars. Tamiya chassis/parts, Tamiya tires, Tamiya bodies.

Let us not forget that TCS is an amateur racing series.
If GT3 had a B-main, why change it? People with TT-01s will have a useless chassis if we switch to brushless. No way my TT-01 will compete with a TB/TA cars due to gearing limitations. I find it unique and fun to have a silver can class mixed in with 2 brushless classes.
Waltrip55 is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 AM
  #17374  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,268
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I was not proposing using the USGT or the USVTA rules just the motor specs to create an easy way to crossover from those classes.
I think the class structure in TC has settled down to a base 3 classes 17.5 TC, USGT 21.5, and USVTA 25.5. Each of those classes always has multiple mains at bigger events and even on regular club nights. I do not want to see an increase of classes at TCS events. By design there are already many classes to choose from because of the variety of chassis. I would only like to see what is being raced out there already phased into the already set TCS classes.

How about the following
GT1 - BL 17.5 or 13.5
GT2 - BL 21.5 or silver can (more of a advanced class)
GT3 - silver can for those stepping up from spec
FF03 - BL 21.5 or silver can
Mini - BL 21.5 or silver can (separating BL form silver can dilutes the class and the cars are comparable in speed).
F104 - BL 21.5 or silver can (185mm width only with the new rubber tire,maybe even open it up to the F103 cars with the F104 front end and f104 rubber tires)
1/12th - BL 17.5
Spec TT01 - silver can beginner class

In the future as silver can gets phased out GT3 becomes BL 25.5
Just some ideas
Originally Posted by Jethroz
I think further diluting of the classes is not the route to go. Of the three TCS events I did this year, only one (TCS# 174) had a B-main (GT3) in any of the TC classes. The only change I think needs to be made is 21.5/25.5 in GT3 and leave the silver cans for Spec.

As far as USGT/USTVA style classes being added, what would the proposed tires be for these classes? I honestly doubt Tamiya will organize a series which calls for tires made by another manufacturer. This is one of the reasons I like the current TCS format so well - the purity of the cars. Tamiya chassis/parts, Tamiya tires, Tamiya bodies.

Let us not forget that TCS is an amateur racing series.
f1larry is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 09:49 AM
  #17375  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Waltrip55
If GT3 had a B-main, why change it? People with TT-01s will have a useless chassis if we switch to brushless. No way my TT-01 will compete with a TB/TA cars due to gearing limitations. I find it unique and fun to have a silver can class mixed in with 2 brushless classes.
If you go to a fixed ratio brushless for GT3 then it won't matter what chassis you have. Silvercan is old tech, and in the long run more expensive to run. We ran te Novak club spec systems in Spec GT at the IIC and it was great approximately $120 for a speedo and motor that ran great
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM
  #17376  
Tech Addict
 
Waltrip55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 578
Default

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
If you go to a fixed ratio brushless for GT3 then it won't matter what chassis you have. Silvercan is old tech, and in the long run more expensive to run. We ran te Novak club spec systems in Spec GT at the IIC and it was great approximately $120 for a speedo and motor that ran great
As long as this fixed ratio is possible with a TT-01, I would be OK with it. The only problem is asking my wife for more r/c items with a baby in the house now.

I really do not like running silver cans as a whole (spoiled with brushless in SC), but my expenses are less for this one race with silver can. If Tamiya can control it with fixed ratios and let TT-01s play, I would be happy to switch to brushless for a long term investment
Waltrip55 is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM
  #17377  
Tech Master
iTrader: (93)
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,418
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by f1larry
How about the following
GT1 - BL 17.5 or 13.5
GT2 - BL 21.5 or silver can (more of a advanced class)
GT3 - silver can for those stepping up from spec
FF03 - BL 21.5 or silver can
Mini - BL 21.5 or silver can (separating BL form silver can dilutes the class and the cars are comparable in speed).
F104 - BL 21.5 or silver can (185mm width only with the new rubber tire,maybe even open it up to the F103 cars with the F104 front end and f104 rubber tires)
1/12th - BL 17.5
Spec TT01 - silver can beginner class
Now we're heading in the right direction
I especially like this part:
Mini - BL 21.5 or silver can (separating BL form silver can dilutes the class and the cars are comparable in speed).
Mini should run together 21.5 and silver can. I watched a similar changeover happen first hand running F1 last year.... My local tracks ran them (21.5/SC) both together for the past year (still do infact). A year later most have moved to BL systems with a handful still running SC. BTW the SC F1s still compete for the top spot. but they do go through a $16 Johnson 540 every 4 to 6 weeks (quick facto: SC is definitely not cheaper $16 x 9 motors for a year = $144 just on 'cheapy' 540 motors) 21.5 BL combos go for less than that nowadays and can easily run for years in a Mini.

Last edited by Markus; 10-24-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Markus is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM
  #17378  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (61)
 
SMcD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,090
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Markus
Now we're heading in the right direction
I especially like this part:
Mini - BL 21.5 or silver can (separating BL form silver can dilutes the class and the cars are comparable in speed).
Mini should run together 21.5 and silver can. I watched a similar changeover happen first hand running F1 last year.... My local tracks ran them (21.5/SC) both together for the past year (still do infact). A year later most have moved to BL systems with a handful still running SC. BTW the SC F1s still compete for the top spot. but they do go through a $16 Johnson 540 every 4 to 6 weeks (quick facto: SC is definitely not cheaper $16 x 9 motors for a year = $144 just on 'cheapy' 540 motors) 21.5 BL combos go for less than that nowadays and can easily run for years in a Mini.
The mini debate... We always loose
SMcD is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM
  #17379  
Tech Master
iTrader: (26)
 
Ed Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: hagerstown
Posts: 1,376
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

+1 on what markus said. But what if gt3 had the fix gearing ( so slow that it could be the beginners class). Then drop spec. That would also help the new people that have another car then a tto1.
Ed Z is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 PM
  #17380  
Tech Master
 
T.MARSHALL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,133
Default Yezz Zirr!

Originally Posted by tmwhitaker
This is a question to the on road community.

Who would be interested in the 2013 TCS being in Huntsville, Alabama? As many of you know we have just opened a new outdoor track (96 x 48). We currently have Mini Copper and VTA classes. The hope is to quickly expand the classes over the coming months such that we have GT1, GT2, etc.

Given this information please chime in (Yes or No) about a TCS in Huntsville, Alabama. Target timeline would be May 2013.

Also, we have a thread in Alabama Section (E Mergent RC) and there are pictures of the track. I will post some pictures of the hobby shop in the next few days. You can also follow the store and the track on facebook; E Mergent RC Hobby Shop.

Thanks,

Tommy Whitaker
E Mergent RC
2118 Huntsville, Alabama 35811
(256) 852-6833
[email protected]
I'd be down for attending this race! If it happens!
T.MARSHALL is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 PM
  #17381  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
Csaari77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,521
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by T.MARSHALL
I'd be down for attending this race! If it happens!
You make a race in Huntsville and you can help me talk Masters into heading to the Nats next year.
Csaari77 is online now  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 PM
  #17382  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Markus
I guess we are all getting a taste of "A Day in a Life of Fred Medal concerning TCS Racing" and can now appreciate even more the choices that he had to make.
This is getting crazy now. GT5? why don't we have a GT6, GT7, and GT8 that way we can have 3 cars per qualifiers and almost everyone can beat someone...
Don't we play with our toy cars to Race against other people with their toy cars? why would we add classes to dilute the competition?
Hell, leave the rules the same as last year and just show up and race the class you have gear for!
TCS is becoming a race series little league.... shall we all get trophies at the end of the year for participating like little kids tee-ball, peewee football?
That is pretty silly.

My thought was a bit more on the complicated side. I am only commenting on the classes I am serious about. 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, 25.5 are all classes people like to run. I could not see spec and GT3 disappearing anytime soon, keep em as silvercans. Yes having 3 BL classes might be much, although could see the least supported one going bye bye leaving it at 2. Not a fan of the 13.5, yet can support the other 3.

If there was a way to tell what 2 ones are supported the most in the USA, I would be for that.
A-Ko is offline  
Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 AM
  #17383  
Tech Regular
 
SilverShelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Huntsville,AL
Posts: 466
Default

Originally Posted by T.MARSHALL
I'd be down for attending this race! If it happens!

If we get one you have a place to stay! Mr.Todd!!
And I will go to the nats mini bound......
Also Todd give me call i have a new phone and lost number

Last edited by SilverShelby; 10-25-2012 at 01:01 PM.
SilverShelby is offline  
Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM
  #17384  
Tech Regular
 
SilverShelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Huntsville,AL
Posts: 466
Default

Any word on schedule???? Enquiring minds want to know.........
SilverShelby is offline  
Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 AM
  #17385  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by A-Ko
That is pretty silly.

My thought was a bit more on the complicated side. I am only commenting on the classes I am serious about. 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, 25.5 are all classes people like to run. I could not see spec and GT3 disappearing anytime soon, keep em as silvercans. Yes having 3 BL classes might be much, although could see the least supported one going bye bye leaving it at 2. Not a fan of the 13.5, yet can support the other 3.

If there was a way to tell what 2 ones are supported the most in the USA, I would be for that.
4 brushless sedan classes plus spec/rookie is diluting too much. Plus, 25.5 may be popular in Mid West and East Coast but almost non-existent on the West Coast.

13.5 for GT-1 and 17.5 for GT-2 are good combos for speed and the challenge to learn to drive better to be faster. I notice a lot of the Eastern side tracks, especially carpet tracks have very few GT-1 and GT-2 entries but lots of silver can GT-3 and mini entries. Our local carpet track in So Cal is going 13.5 for expert stock (GT-1 cars) and Sportsman sedan will stay 17.5. 21.5 in a GT-2 car is too slow, even on small tracks. What's the fun in driving full throttle the whole lap and never lifting ? Is that really challenging ?

GT-3 is supposed to be the intermediate level drivers stepping up from spec class. If gearing is a concern, the idea of a spec gearing rule would not be bad. And once you buy the brushless esc, you can buy a top of the line brushless motor for the price of two "hot" silver can motors without all the cleaning and tuning hassles.

Panda
Kevin CBR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.