Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree717Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-11-2012, 02:32 PM
  #17356  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
rtypec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,978
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Take that Silvercan out, and put a 13.5 in it too
Sadly enough that's a 10.5 Non-adjustable timing geared at 7.21 powered by a LiFe isn't setting any land speed records.
rtypec is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 PM
  #17357  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (2)
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 3,075
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by robk View Post
Not exactly my area, but from what I saw at our regional on carpet, the few guys who were on A's migrated to C's during the weekend. I was also told the C's compared favorably to typical carpet tires like Sweeps or Jacos.

That being said if the laps times are good, don't get too concerned about the squeal, some tires just make noise
Agreed, I've only used them once, but I loved how well they worked & even more importantly, how long they lasted. I anticipated needing a couple of sets per car for a TCS weekend(Friday practice, Sat. qualifying & Sunday mains), but they just seemed to get better the more I ran them, so one set worked great all the way through, VERY consistent & good grip(while I always had to use multiple sets of A's, because they'd start to drop off on me after about 6 runs or so, sometimes even less). I'd also suggest sticking with the C's, I think you'll be happier with 'em....
Grizzbob is offline  
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
  #17358  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
240Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,119
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by David J. View Post
However, GT3 may change to 21.5 Brushless.
240Z is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM
  #17359  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
HeliYogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 1,199
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
Mark
Here are to "compadres" racing in Bremerton RC, WA inaugural GP weekend


Cool new track!


Here are the contenders


Mr Fred M.
This is a grand option for your 2013 TCS schedule

More photos here: http://photobucket.com/MarkF1RCBremerton

Cheer's!
Marcos
HeliYogi is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 PM
  #17360  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
linger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Retired
Posts: 1,132
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by C5R01 View Post
The real question is. What year did Dave win this NSX when he won the XMODS nationals, and who did he beat to do it?


http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...river_Side.jpg
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...als0035_sm.jpg

2004 Xmods
Top 4: Dave, Joe Pillars, Rick Hohwart, and me. Top 2 was Dave and Joe. Fun times
linger is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM
  #17361  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 172
Default 2013 TCS Question

This is a question to the on road community.

Who would be interested in the 2013 TCS being in Huntsville, Alabama? As many of you know we have just opened a new outdoor track (96 x 48). We currently have Mini Copper and VTA classes. The hope is to quickly expand the classes over the coming months such that we have GT1, GT2, etc.

Given this information please chime in (Yes or No) about a TCS in Huntsville, Alabama. Target timeline would be May 2013.

Also, we have a thread in Alabama Section (E Mergent RC) and there are pictures of the track. I will post some pictures of the hobby shop in the next few days. You can also follow the store and the track on facebook; E Mergent RC Hobby Shop.

Thanks,

Tommy Whitaker
E Mergent RC
2118 Huntsville, Alabama 35811
(256) 852-6833
[email protected]
tmwhitaker is offline  
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 AM
  #17362  
Tech Addict
 
Waltrip55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 578
Default

I'd like to put in a vote to leave silver cans in GT-3 for the sake of our group and people stepping up from spec. We run TT-01s and do pretty well with them and they are cost effective. TCS is not our main racing series and would not participate if we had to buy brushless system for one race a year.

People with TT-01s also would have no shot stepping up from spec to GT3 if it were brushless only. I was able to podium with a TT-01 in IL and that would be impossible with our gearing limitations for 21.5.

I'm all for brushless, as I run it in my short course, but we would be unable to go next year if it is a brushless only class
Waltrip55 is offline  
Old 10-21-2012, 04:24 PM
  #17363  
Tech Adept
 
Vacek22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 102
Default A's open tire

Looks like most of the tcs races on the rug? Open tire A's
Vacek22 is offline  
Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM
  #17364  
Tech Regular
 
SilverShelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Huntsville,AL
Posts: 466
Default

Pleease David and Tamiya let e-mergent run a event we won't let you down!!!!!
SilverShelby is offline  
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM
  #17365  
Tech Regular
 
gcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 269
Default

Originally Posted by tmwhitaker View Post
This is a question to the on road community.

Who would be interested in the 2013 TCS being in Huntsville, Alabama? As many of you know we have just opened a new outdoor track (96’ x 48’). We currently have Mini Copper and VTA classes. The hope is to quickly expand the classes over the coming months such that we have GT1, GT2, etc.


Tommy Whitaker
E Mergent RC
2118 Huntsville, Alabama 35811
(256) 852-6833
[email protected].com
Originally Posted by Waltrip55 View Post
I'd like to put in a vote to leave silver cans in GT-3 for the sake of our group and people stepping up from spec. We run TT-01s and do pretty well with them and they are cost effective. TCS is not our main racing series and would not participate if we had to buy brushless system for one race a year.

People with TT-01s also would have no shot stepping up from spec to GT3 if it were brushless only. I was able to podium with a TT-01 in IL and that would be impossible with our gearing limitations for 21.5.

I'm all for brushless, as I run it in my short course, but we would be unable to go next year if it is a brushless only class
Which brings me back to my previous post.
I do think for sedan
GT1 = keep the 13.5 rules
GT2 = keep the 17.5 rules
GT3 = make 25.5 VTA rules with a Tamiya spin
GT4 = keep as the current GT3 silvercan rules

VTA is the biggest class that is not represented in TCS. Look at some of the big events like the Southern Nationals. 13.5 and 17.5 is basically trying to catch something that really is not there. My racing and others I have talked to always say VTA is the biggest sedan class period.

Silvercan sedan is not there either, yet what Tamiya has done, get rid of the ringers so guys can step up from spec is the best way to grow the series. A guy not wanting to buy BL for 1 race would consider it if he knew there was a class like VTA that he could apply it to, which usally has a local following. It is also not an abrupt transition from brushed silvercan to brushless 25.5.

If guys think 25.5 is too slow, well ya don't have to run in it now do ya!
gcooper is offline  
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM
  #17366  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gcooper View Post
Which brings me back to my previous post.
I do think for sedan
GT1 = keep the 13.5 rules
GT2 = keep the 17.5 rules
GT3 = make 25.5 VTA rules with a Tamiya spin
GT4 = keep as the current GT3 silvercan rules

VTA is the biggest class that is not represented in TCS. Look at some of the big events like the Southern Nationals. 13.5 and 17.5 is basically trying to catch something that really is not there. My racing and others I have talked to always say VTA is the biggest sedan class period.

Silvercan sedan is not there either, yet what Tamiya has done, get rid of the ringers so guys can step up from spec is the best way to grow the series. A guy not wanting to buy BL for 1 race would consider it if he knew there was a class like VTA that he could apply it to, which usally has a local following. It is also not an abrupt transition from brushed silvercan to brushless 25.5.

If guys think 25.5 is too slow, well ya don't have to run in it now do ya!
Why talk about VTA or GT4? The sedan classes have not had the great turnouts over the last few years. The biggest reason for this is that TC in general has gotten too diluted. IMO GT3 should be the FF chassis,silvercan motor, 26mm tires and FWD bodies. There has to be a noticeable difference between the classes. We don't need to add classes that make any of the others smaller.
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 PM
  #17367  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I hope everyone participated in the Tamiya TCS Survey.. i know i did..
OSherman is offline  
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM
  #17368  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
f1larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,243
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I think coop is on to something.

I have a twist to it though. Tis past weekend we had the first round of the hurricane series. The classes were 17.5 TC (could be GT1), USGT 21.5 ( could be GT2), USVTA 25.5 (could be GT3), mini (silver can or 21.5), 1/12, and F104 (185mm rubber). We had 68 entries. The biggest classes were USGT, USVTA, and 17.5 TC. If the TCS was set with similar classes there could be more entries because people would know they can run the same set ups in other club or big races. Races like the southern nats, or the VTA nats, or a roar event, or even one of the F1 series. USVTA has stabilized TC racing and the class structures are great. TCS should have a silver can class and that class should remain the TT01 spec class and the FF03 class.

I love the TCS and will continue to run it as long as I can. I like the brushless motors in the long run I am now spending less on the hobby because of BL and spec ESC's

Just my 2 cents
Originally Posted by gcooper View Post
Which brings me back to my previous post.
I do think for sedan
GT1 = keep the 13.5 rules
GT2 = keep the 17.5 rules
GT3 = make 25.5 VTA rules with a Tamiya spin
GT4 = keep as the current GT3 silvercan rules

VTA is the biggest class that is not represented in TCS. Look at some of the big events like the Southern Nationals. 13.5 and 17.5 is basically trying to catch something that really is not there. My racing and others I have talked to always say VTA is the biggest sedan class period.

Silvercan sedan is not there either, yet what Tamiya has done, get rid of the ringers so guys can step up from spec is the best way to grow the series. A guy not wanting to buy BL for 1 race would consider it if he knew there was a class like VTA that he could apply it to, which usally has a local following. It is also not an abrupt transition from brushed silvercan to brushless 25.5.

If guys think 25.5 is too slow, well ya don't have to run in it now do ya!
f1larry is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 PM
  #17369  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by f1larry View Post
I think coop is on to something.

I have a twist to it though. Tis past weekend we had the first round of the hurricane series. The classes were 17.5 TC (could be GT1), USGT 21.5 ( could be GT2), USVTA 25.5 (could be GT3), mini (silver can or 21.5), 1/12, and F104 (185mm rubber). We had 68 entries. The biggest classes were USGT, USVTA, and 17.5 TC. If the TCS was set with similar classes there could be more entries because people would know they can run the same set ups in other club or big races. Races like the southern nats, or the VTA nats, or a roar event, or even one of the F1 series. USVTA has stabilized TC racing and the class structures are great. TCS should have a silver can class and that class should remain the TT01 spec class and the FF03 class.

I love the TCS and will continue to run it as long as I can. I like the brushless motors in the long run I am now spending less on the hobby because of BL and spec ESC's

Just my 2 cents
Would not mind the class structure mentioned by Coop or F1Larry.

Although locally I usually run mostly 17.5 and VTA year round and USGT over the summer. Local racing have not seen a 13.5 class. I have felt the 13.5 overpowers the Tamiya tire grip. Maybe some tracks more than others.

Do think there is a place for silvercan, with 4wd it is a good step from Spec and should be kept the way it is. Would not mind if GT3 became GT4 and Spec became GT5, keeping the usual rules of course. Then it makes it easier to point out the 4wd classes and where new racers should start.
A-Ko is offline  
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 AM
  #17370  
Tech Master
iTrader: (90)
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,376
Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)
Default

I guess we are all getting a taste of "A Day in a Life of Fred Medal concerning TCS Racing" and can now appreciate even more the choices that he had to make.
This is getting crazy now. GT5? why don't we have a GT6, GT7, and GT8 that way we can have 3 cars per qualifiers and almost everyone can beat someone...
Don't we play with our toy cars to Race against other people with their toy cars? why would we add classes to dilute the competition?
Hell, leave the rules the same as last year and just show up and race the class you have gear for!
TCS is becoming a race series little league.... shall we all get trophies at the end of the year for participating like little kids tee-ball, peewee football?
Markus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.