Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casey
This past year Jackson RC hosted an excellent event on the East Coast with it's Tamiya like track ( curbs and all ) wouldnt it be a grand idea to support the folks on the east coast ( at least east of the Mississippi ) with a National level event on the east coast. Based on population demographics, and dollars per region spent on Tamiya gear that would be an interesting stat to see.

I propose at Nationals point system, those folks serious about competing for top prizes would be most interested. Instead of one track wonder set ups..how about getting the top drivers to travel east...

East coast Leg = Jackson RC, Tamiya nats style program with Triple A's
West caost leg = Tamiya track, then same as above

THEN, combine the results for your National Champ, so thats 6 A mains going towards your National Champ Results...

Now I know we will hear.... " Oh I cant afford to travel to New Jersey"... well then you may be ducking from top competion on the east coast,
Much like the East coast guys not willing to travel to the Tamiya track, they are ducking from the home feild advantage fast guys..

Now....Discuss !
Originally Posted by Casey
soo.. perhaps its an idea that has some legs then...
get top drivers from both regions to be encouarged , and enabled to travel to each others respective venues..and the prize being a trip to Japan, that would encourge the top 10-15 drivers per class, per region to travel to the 2 big events. In reality we could probally see 25-45 % of folks willing or able to travel, that could mean 8-12 drivers per class travelling to both venues, to compete in the double - triple A-main format to win the trip...and if it is a 3 class wins the trip format, that could be 24-36 drivers traveling, and competing in a more fair format...at that point you may learn, who is the faster, more versatile racers to earn a spot to compete in Japan, which in turn takes some versatility to compete and win.. tired of other countries winning the Tamiya Worlds ?? create a format to send drivers that are more adaptable and battle tested... are you ready to raise your game ?

interested ?
Nope, not interested at all. By your logic, Tamiya should rotate the world championships through Europe, America and Asia every year. You know, to make it fair. Fast guys will always be fast. Doesn't matter where they race.

Also, the Tamiya track is not the most technically-difficult track to race on. I think nerves/stress have more to do with folks not doing as well that are from other parts of the country.

Originally Posted by Granpa
Some of the points are well taken, but you may be missing the point. The Tamiya Nationals are held at the Tamiya USA Track in Aliso Viejo, California.

The Indianapolis 500 Mile Race aka the Indy 500 is held where??????

The Monaco GP is raced on the Streets of Monaco, not Tijuana, Little Rock, or Mobile. Nothing against those cities, but they aren't Monaco.

Like many things that sound good, a national point system has as many bad points as good. For example, you would have to attend both events to have any chance of winning. I believe that if this situation exists the number of racers actually competing for the prize would be much smaller. Let's say driver X wins the East, but can't make the West. Driver Y wins the West, but can't make the East. Driver Z places 3rd or lower in both events and wins the championship. Did he win cause he was the best or because he was able to attend both events???????

Let's also face the fact gentlemen, if you're fast, you're fast. Track don't matter. This local "advantage" crap has been popularized by the whiners and complainers. If you can't go to the Tamiya track and do well, You're just not fast enough. Yeah, you win your little local races, but maybe the guys you race against aren't very fast either. Maybe, instead of whining about some mythical local advantage, you should grow a pair and compete. The Canadians do and do quite well.
+1

Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

With all due respect

Having the Nationals in one location every year does thin the talent pool

I'm quite sure there are dirvers in other regions that would like to attend Nationals, but can't due to family, travel, budget, work etc...

Obviously we want the BEST North American drivers to challenge for the World Championship

By holding Nationals (TCS Finals) in other reqions, it could help to grow the series, and potentially raise the bar in the level of compettion
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The first year I went out there I totally struggled. The surface was a huge challenge espe ially if its only blown off. The next year i had developed enough solutions to what the track needed to do well. However I have.to say the first time driver is at a big disadvantage to the locals. Either way I wont complain since I have been to tons of races where a little inside knowledge of the track goes a long way. Just dont convince yourself it makes no diference.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Speaking of travelling to races, does anyone know the general time-frame of when Tamiya USA will post the 2013 TCS schedule and any class/rules addendums?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
With all due respect

Having the Nationals in one location every year does thin the talent pool

I'm quite sure there are dirvers in other regions that would like to attend Nationals, but can't due to family, travel, budget, work etc...

Obviously we want the BEST North American drivers to challenge for the World Championship

By holding Nationals (TCS Finals) in other reqions, it could help to grow the series, and potentially raise the bar in the level of compettion
With all due respect, you've dogmatically stated as fact, that, which may not be true. And you've also implied that the guys winning the trips were undeserving cause they were not the BEST. For me, you have to be willing to compete and prove that you were the BEST that year.

Actually, it doesn't matter where the Nationals are held as far as drivers having problems attending. Whether the Nationals are held in Yuckamuck, Idaho or Tenderass, Georgia, drivers will have to travel. The talent pool gets thinned either way.

Will having the Nationals in other areas grow the series????? Without having the marketing data to go on, it's difficult to say that it would have any beneficial effect.

One problem we all may be overlooking is the amount or number of qualified personnel it takes to put on the event. From what I've observed it takes 8 or more. At Tamiya, the personnel is provided by Tamiya, the personnel are not competing and are impartial. Other regions may not have the luxury of paid personnel who are not competitors.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello everyone,

Today I wanted to inform every one of some changes that will be taking place within Tamiya America beginning immediately.

I have been in charge of the Tamiya Championship Series for well over a decade. In that decade I have put forth rules and structure that best meets Tamiya America’s marketing objectives while providing a fun and fair racing environment to our customers. I have worked tirelessly to make sure a balance is struck with new product launches and new trends in the racing hobby. With that said, I will no longer be running the program. The program will now be the responsibility of David Jun. He will be responsible for maintaining the work I have put forth in the past decade and bring in objectives of his own to match the goals of Tamiya America.

The 2013 schedule will be announced shortly as well as any addendums to the rules and structure of the series. Many have been asking me what is going to change in terms of rules. To be quite honest, nothing drastically should change, but certain things will be tweaked based on customer participation feedback and the feedback given by our host site partners.
Lastly, I would like to wish everyone well in their TCS racing endeavors. I hope you will continue to support the Tamiya brand and the series in the future as it transitions to David Jun.

Best wishes to everyone.

FM
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

Hello TCS racers,
Some of you may have general knowledge my history with Tamiya America. However, for those who don’t, my name is David Jun and I’ve been with Tamiya America Inc. for as long as anyone can probably remember. I’m likely known for my racing history with the brand but my experiences with Tamiya cover a much wider range such as R&D and product design.

Recently, I have been asked to take over the TCS series. It is a significant responsibility and an honor in which I take very seriously. It is a difficult balance that is ever evolving with new products and technology. Fred Medel has done an excellent job these past 10 years and although his role in the company has focused on the marketing side, he will continue to be involved with the series during this transition.

My goal is simple; to continue the growth and success of the TCS series. To do this, I understand that this is achieved by you, our participants and I will do my best to make our events more enjoyable in every way that I can. Fred and I are currently working on the 2013 rules and I can confirm that there will be minimal changes. Also, like Fred, I am available to answer any questions that I can here on RC Tech. For now, please join me in thanking Fred Medel for his hard work in making TCS what it is today. See you at the races!

David Jun
Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Wow. Thank you Fred for the countless hours and headaches you must have had over the past decade dealing with TCS. Your work was a success and very much appreciated.
I remember meeting both you and David here in Laurel, MD (hanging out @ Casey Young's house) when this whole thing was beginning.

Fred - Thank you
David - Best wishes
Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Good luck David, Thank You Fred!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow.. Shocking news indeed.

A little bittersweet.. Lets face it, Fred is a cool-cat that brings fun to the people. Sad to see him 'go'. Altho im sure he will be lurking around the pits and possibly around the course... I hope so.

Im glad we still get a TCS series to participate in. Looking forward to talking 'track' with D.Jun

Thankyou Fred
Thankyou D.Jun
Thankyou TAMIYA
Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you Fred for all your hard work!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for everything Fred! A true ambassador to the amateur racing scene!!!!

And welcome David! It's great to know we won't have a drop in dedication to this great series!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Best of luck in your future ventures, Fred. Looks like I'll have to be a thorn in David's side now. Congrats on your new role, David. Remember, I'm not really a pain. I'm just passionate about racing.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Fred for your years of service for TCS.
Thanks David for continuing the traditions!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
The Indianapolis 500 Mile Race aka the Indy 500 is held where??????
If the TTT never sells, I don't see The TCS Nationals anywhere else. . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.