Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Mini minds think alike. I was planning to start with your suggests below, before you threw them out. Definately take the torque out of the motor and go for RPM, start with low timing and speedo settings and add more as grip is available. I actually contacted Novak about making a short stack brushless motor - similar to the old Mini modified motor Tamiya offered years ago. Driving will be more of an issue to keep from TR in the fast sections, but it will be fun to try out. Definately need to alter the line and driving style with more speed available - maybe similar to the old 4-slot 540s from a few years ago. Glad Tamiya allows 2 more tire options to help with that - last year my M06 with s-grips was really nervous on carpet with a 540J, can only image how that will be with 17.5.

Congrates on the win - starting to move up the HoF chart! B. Hickman is still way out in front setting the benchmark for us all and still going strong after 18yrs of TCS racing.

Erik

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Wippler I couldn't agree with you more and I have told all the mini guys running the brushless class to turn there timing down from 50 to 25-35. Dont run a 16 0r 18 tooth run the 20 tooth. Then set up your throttle profile so that it is soft to mild and then alow the car to carry the corner speed and then you can grab full throttle for the straight. Craig drove very well not to many mistakes and all in all consistent. I think he might of lost 5 seconds or less. which still brings or times rather close. My motor was dynoed right after the race by eric in tech and it read 18,570 rpm close one I know I had an extra 180 rpm I could of used . But still the brushless minis on asphalt should be an entire lap faster then brushed in my opinion. If you can replicate the speed of a brushed mini through the infield and then have all that speed in reserve for the straight & sweeper I am almost confident that the brushed guys would be a lap down. Carpet is a whole new animal thats when you let it all out and pray you dont traction roll. Thanks to Tamiya for a great race I look forward to TQ race & maybe Washington. Grandpa dont forget what we talked about.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The registrations for race #169 are now open!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/index.php
Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ewippler
Mini minds think alike. I was planning to start with your suggests below, before you threw them out. Definately take the torque out of the motor and go for RPM, start with low timing and speedo settings and add more as grip is available. I actually contacted Novak about making a short stack brushless motor - similar to the old Mini modified motor Tamiya offered years ago. Driving will be more of an issue to keep from TR in the fast sections, but it will be fun to try out. Definately need to alter the line and driving style with more speed available - maybe similar to the old 4-slot 540s from a few years ago. Glad Tamiya allows 2 more tire options to help with that - last year my M06 with s-grips was really nervous on carpet with a 540J, can only image how that will be with 17.5.

Congrates on the win - starting to move up the HoF chart! B. Hickman is still way out in front setting the benchmark for us all and still going strong after 18yrs of TCS racing.

Erik
You and Swifty are correct, but a 17.5 BL should be noticeably quicker even on low grip asphalt like the Tamiya. I feel that will be 0.5 to as much as 1.0 sec per lap. Some serious work needs to be done however.

Brandon, I haven't forgotten our conversation from last nite and will finish that car in the next couple of weeks. Will make the changes and have you test it.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwkride
The registrations for race #169 are now open!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/index.php
Now I just need to figure out a second class!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
Now I just need to figure out a second class!
What's your first class? GT1?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

More Mini input in response to recent replys.

I think the set up I had is spot on, pure dumb luck?
No push, no loose.
Full timing, 20 tooth was much faster and much cooler than 18 or 16 tooth, at least with this motor. Ask Nino
If I'm not mistaken, the fastest lap times of the day were from this brushless Mini.
If it were in the hands of our Mini Master or if I had hired the gunslinger that has also proven himself with the Minis, Michael Monaghan, I have no doubt that the silvercans would have been left in the pits bowing their heads.
As it turned out however, the fast qualifying times in each Mini class were equal, Mini driving skills were not.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are 3 TCS races out here on the East Coast...trying to get an idea if any of you have plans for a particular event, or perhaps all 3
an which classes ?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool Missing Past Champs!

Glad to see the 2012 season started as planned and the weather held. Turn out looked great, but the winter coats looked a bit odd for a CA race.

I have updated the regional Hall of Fame to include the latest results, through race #168. Still missing information from some of the early races (42, 47-64, 68, 76, and 77). If anyone has those (from old RC car actions, or personal records,etc) I would love to add them. Sorry if I missed some racers or results - I have access to what Tamiya posts and what generious racers have shared (Thanks Jeff Stevens). Enjoy and hope to see you at the races this season.

Erik
Rod Canare, Edgar Fiallos, Mark Dawson, Austin Brumley and Ling Kang Tong?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maxepower
Rod Canare, Edgar Fiallos, Mark Dawson, Austin Brumley and Ling Kang Tong?
I know, I am missing many national champs. Tamiya already had the wall of fame. for the nats winners. I wanted to tally up just the regional races showing the dedication of racers over the past 18years, many of which haven't won the big one. To make it onto the top 40, requires a few more regional wins (currently 3) with a bunch of podiums. It will probably take 4 or 5 wins to make the top 40 by the end of the year as some new drivers have entered the scene and are winning at a regular pace. As it turns out, many national champs win the nats and maybe one or two regional races along the way and move onto something else. Some of the Nats winners were also from Canada and they never appeared in the USA regional results.

I got the idea for this about 2 years ago when Doc Mertz indicated he was attending his 80th TCS race (thats right - 80!).

Anyway, sorry if anyone was missed (I do have a lot of missing results from the early seasons).

Erik
Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

B. Hickman is still way out in front setting the benchmark for us all and still going strong after 18yrs of TCS racing.

Erik
WOW !!! A true legend !!! All though we haven't heard much from the "doc" lately ?!?!?

I got the idea for this about 2 years ago when Doc Mertz indicated he was attending his 80th TCS race (thats right - 80!).

Erik
Eighty !!!! He doesn't look a day over fifty !!!! LOL Another "legendary TCS Driva "
Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ray k
WOW !!! A true legend !!! All though we haven't heard much from the "doc" lately ?!?!?

Dr Hickman seems to race on the west coast these days, at least based on the posted results.

Eighty !!!! He doesn't look a day over fifty !!!! LOL Another "legendary TCS Driva "
Maybe you can check if Doc Mertz has any of the early race results. By all accounts, he attended many of those races in 1997-1999. He indicated he had results at one time, but misplaced them in a move.

BTW - Any thoughts on Brushless mini to share? Have you tried it out at your track?

Erik
Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Erik,

We just had a big Sweep Challenge Race at MRH. The mini A main (open silver can) had every eye watching. Throughout the race the crowd was laughing, crying, hooting, and hollering (the whole 6 mins). It was an awesome race between the top 3 battling and swapping positions the entire race.
I really think it reminded everyone of why we started the hobby in the first place. Simple and Fun.
Needless to say a hand full of the fast drivers are buzzing about Tamiya Minis.
There's a small rush of Mini Fever amongst the fast TC drivers in MD.

Their choice of class seems be the Mini Pro class (Blinky 17.5) so I'm sure there will be a steep learning curve in terms of setup.

Ray K's phone has been ringing off the hook
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

BTW - Any thoughts on Brushless mini to share? Have you tried it out at your track?

Erik
No , being that Frederick Hobbytown is the world headquarters test track for Red Dot Motors. Not much interest in brushless mini here.

Originally Posted by Markus
Erik,

Their choice of class seems be the Mini Pro class (Blinky 17.5) so I'm sure there will be a steep learning curve in terms of setup.

Ray K's phone has been ringing off the hook
From the phone calls I'm getting ,still looks like silvercan is it !!!

Yes ,my ear is starting to hurt !!!! A back log of mini builds is starting to clutter up my bench time !!!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey guys, quick question: The track at TQ Racing is Ozite carpet over concrete, right? Just being sure. I've never actually seen Ozite properly installed before, only ever taped down. On the web it almost looks like eerily smooth asphalt.

Thanks. Jim
Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Hey guys, quick question: The track at TQ Racing is Ozite carpet over concrete, right? Just being sure. I've never actually seen Ozite properly installed before, only ever taped down. On the web it almost looks like eerily smooth asphalt.

Thanks. Jim
I believe this carpet is mounted on a raised floor... and your correct - It is very smooth!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.