Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Off topic, but am posting just for my Mini racing cohorts. BL motors seem to be more plentiful now, so have been able to do a few on track comparisons. These observations are from relatively limited number of trial runs and the car used in these tests was an M03, equipped with a KO BLZ 350 and a Novak Ballistic 17.5. The timing on the motor was at 30 and 35 degrees.

The above set up is a bit slower than a "good" TCS legal Silvercan. It is about the same as a run of the mill Silvercan. If the timing was limited to 30 degrees, they could run comfortably together with no advantage one to the other.

Advancing the timing will make car faster, but not uncomfortably so. I tested several runs with a Mini with the timing cranked a bit, and was slower. My guess is that equal drivers, you're looking at .5 to maybe .8 sec. per lap. This seems about the right speed differential between the 2 classes.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head, but my feeling is that the BL class should be faster than the Silvercan class. Trying to make them the same speed serves no real purpose. My bottom of the line BL system costs more than twice what my Silvercan set up costs and I'd like to have a little more speed for my investment. Frankly, one of the suggestions to slow the BL Minis down, would have made them slower than a SC Mini.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why do the 2 classes have to run at the same speed?????? Makes about as much sense as having GT1 and GT2 be the same speed.
Let me lay this on you...The ballistic motor can freely rotate past the timing marks on the endbell. At a minimum i'd think you would want to run at least the 45* mark, if not beyond until the motor starts fading,the temps start getting up to 170-180*, or the motor won't carry the gear.
In the 21.5 "GT" sedan class that runs locally, this is what we look for.

The only bad thing about allowing any rotor is that the motors who have optional smaller rotors will probably have an advantage in mini class due to the extra rpm produced. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I don't think you're going to lose so much torque that the rpm advantage will go away. The other way would be a bigger (more torque) rotor and crank away on the timing. That has worked in 17.5 sedan blinky, but again, the gear limitations may come into play.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All I can tell you is what I've seen at the "big" Tamiya track so far. The Ballistic motor with the timing cranked at 45 or more IS faster than a legal "silver can" motor. That's why I didn't impose mechanical timing limits in the class. I gathered most of you who partake in the class will want to go a little faster than "legal" silver can motors.
Remember guys, the class is an experiment to see what happens.
It's my hope to keep it simple, fun and fair. I assure you people will figure out the right timing for the motors allowed in the class to give them the speed they want. I'm currently racing the Ultimate F1 racing winter series at TQ and they run 21.5. I've been playing around with mechanical timing and sometimes I get it right and sometimes I miss And....I'm only looking for tenths here.

BTW: Next week I will be announcing the trip winning classes for 2012. Right before Christmas. I expect some smiles and maybe a few OH MY
Old 12-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FMW
All I can tell you is what I've seen at the "big" Tamiya track so far. The Ballistic motor with the timing cranked at 45 or more IS faster than a legal "silver can" motor. That's why I didn't impose mechanical timing limits in the class. I gathered most of you who partake in the class will want to go a little faster than "legal" silver can motors.
Remember guys, the class is an experiment to see what happens.
It's my hope to keep it simple, fun and fair. I assure you people will figure out the right timing for the motors allowed in the class to give them the speed they want. I'm currently racing the Ultimate F1 racing winter series at TQ and they run 21.5. I've been playing around with mechanical timing and sometimes I get it right and sometimes I miss And....I'm only looking for tenths here.

BTW: Next week I will be announcing the trip winning classes for 2012. Right before Christmas. I expect some smiles and maybe a few OH MY

I like the BL Mini rules as they are. As you said, at least for the Tamiya track, they seem to be spot on. It's pretty simple, just take your present Mini and bolt in a BL motor and esc. It's faster and doesn't require any "special" knowledge to accomplish. No hours at the motor bench building a "blue printed" Silvercan.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the BL "pros" start in with their special rotors etc. Oh well, so much for simple and fair.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
I like the BL Mini rules as they are. As you said, at least for the Tamiya track, they seem to be spot on. It's pretty simple, just take your present Mini and bolt in a BL motor and esc. It's faster and doesn't require any "special" knowledge to accomplish. No hours at the motor bench building a "blue printed" Silvercan.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the BL "pros" start in with their special rotors etc. Oh well, so much for simple and fair.
So far there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of motor/esc of the week in the brushless wars that I'm around.
Our 21.5 UF1 stuff is pretty stable and the 17.5 no boost offroad stuff seems to come down to overall package rather than fastest motor too.
It would be interesting to hear some stories from the 17.5 no boost TC guys as to what is the must have brushless systems if there are any.
That seems to be where the most competitive packages would be and if there is an advantage to have, those guys will know.
Hopefully nothing too dramatic is happening. That would allow us to keep racing standard systems without feeling like we were behind on technology all the time.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Cranked in about 50 degrees of advance today and it's way faster than a "legal" Silvercan. It is so much faster, that this car which was dialed with a Silvercan is darned near undriveable with this much extra speed. Had to make some set up changes, but it needs more. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Grandpa,
If we are Mini racing 'cohorts', are we not then, individually, 'horts'? What the heck is a 'hort'?

Crank those puppies! More is faster...until they fry
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
Grandpa,
If we are Mini racing 'cohorts', are we not then, individually, 'horts'? What the heck is a 'hort'?

Crank those puppies! More is faster...until they fry
Cohorts in the context it was used, meant fellow idiots. So it follows then that a "hort" must be an idiot. Craig, you know that's an apt description for the Mini guys at Aliso. You may be the lone exception, but it's marginal. May I remind you of the Porsche Party?????? Hope you had a great time.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Any ETA on the #1028-1029 pre-mount A mini tires?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Thumbs up RM-01 Racing Master

Hey guys

A few updates after shaking down the RM-01 at TQ Yesterday

The car is sa-weet !

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ng-master.html

Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I asked these questions on the Mini Forum. I thought I'd ask it here also.

Now that there are three "Spec" tires (1016, 1028, 1029) available for the TCS, any recommendation of which tire or combination of "Spec" tires would be better for carpet? I already use the "S" Specs (1016) for my M03 and M06.

Also, I have not seen them released in the U.S. When might they be available?

Doesn't having three choices skew the logic of a Spec tire?

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is there any chance there will be rubber tires available for the RM-01? This is the first time a 1/12 car has ever been appealing to me, but I dislike foam tires. Going to races and watching guys lathe down the tires until there's almost nothing left just kills me.

Jim
Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Is there any chance there will be rubber tires available for the RM-01? This is the first time a 1/12 car has ever been appealing to me, but I dislike foam tires. Going to races and watching guys lathe down the tires until there's almost nothing left just kills me.

Jim
No need to true tires with the RM-01.
Infact due to ride height limitations, the car works best with full size tires, mount em up and run it.

If you want rubber tires on a pan car, best stick to the F1 series.
No one runs 12th scale rubber tires on road course in the USA.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

12 scale rims from any manufacture will work on this car?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Yellowtaro
12 scale rims from any manufacture will work on this car?
Yes on the rear, with the 3-bolt setup, any 12th wheel should bolt on.
However, the kit tire dia is 53mm, that's huge when compared to standard 12 sizes.

For instance Jaco rear tires out of the box are around 48mm, which is close to the minimum size the car will accept.

The front axles are metric, we are looking into an adapter for US wheels, but again with dia of tire necessary, it would be easier to run the tamiya wheels/foam.
F1 foam will fit, as an option, also the Tamiya kit tires are great, and they have HBR foam for the RM coming soon.

Back in the day early (90's) Dave Jun and I used the Tamiya F1 HBR foams on our 12th scale cars, they were very good on asphalt.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
No need to true tires with the RM-01.
Infact due to ride height limitations, the car works best with full size tires, mount em up and run it.

If you want rubber tires on a pan car, best stick to the F1 series.
No one runs 12th scale rubber tires on road course in the USA.
Nice to hear that's been addressed. I can't stomach the idea of buying tires and watching 90% get thrown away immediately.

We run a "catch-all" GT class here that doesn't allow foam tires. It's essentially any scale looking 1/10-1/12 car with a silver can and rubber tires. We've got F1 cars going head to head with TCs, minis....anything. My favorite car this year was an F103GT running on Jaco blues and fitted with a Celica body. I run at WCICS events. (Western Canadian Indoor Championship Series, the largest carpet racing series in the world!)

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.