Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HKS Hobby
here is the link to mod

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
. As close as the grid spots are and with no "dirty line" to worry about like in F1, the #3 spot on the inside to the sweeper easily gets the jump on the #2 spot probably 60% of the time.
I know I am not the only person who would rather qualify 3rd than 2nd just to get a better starting advantage and that takes away from the person who put that hard work into getting that #2 spot. Single file starts worked good before or maybe wider gaps between each row ? . (Sorry, have to account for inflation).
Kevin, I'm not sure I'm with you on the #3 or even #1 grid position being the hot ticket or even being on part of the clean line for the start.
I have had and seen great results from the #2 spot (if a video would show up of the F1 A Main at Speedtech's race , I dropped in on Jun's diffuser and actually had to hold back.) on a few occasions and if you watch the video of the Mods at Speedtech's race you know David Jun has no issues with it either.
I think #2 is actually an advantage cuz it's in the sweet spot of the clean line entering the sweeper.

Now as far as getting some breathing room between cars on the grid, that's a pretty sound idea for sure, works great in UF1.
Can move P1 up and P10 back and either keep the stagger or get em in line.

So, back to that F1 Video? Nothin?
Old 11-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default FF slammin

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
Max,
Brandon didn't go? I like Brandon, very entertaining guy, but how many times can he be allowed to win Mini?

...Keeping the carnage down is a big point in all this. My FF Speedtech race lasted about 50 feet, Half way around the the sweeper "some white car" slammed me from the back, sent me into the boards, and broke the car! It was hard work qualifying #2...No respect at all!!
I was slammed hard in my 2nd quali. Not only spun, but then hit hard. I got the opportunity to carry the carnage off of the track, and then repair the rear suspension. And Craig, I am glad to say that this was in my dark blue volvo. Glad I wasn't the one taking you out. However, the large wing did make the Volvo a little bit more enjoyable to race with.

Next time, better luck.

EB R
Old 11-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Default Heros and the Red Fog

Thanks for the empathy Kevin, since I managed to bunt you awhile back...
No, I didn't get a very good start. But just so nobody misunderstands, the #3Q orange car and I had no problems. Plenty of room given each other. Some hero back-marker tried to win the race on the first corner.
Spreading out the field sounds like a solid idea.

This is amateur racing...Tamiya racing...and no matter how competitive , we should act like gentleman, Gentleman.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Kevin, I'm not sure I'm with you on the #3 or even #1 grid position being the hot ticket or even being on part of the clean line for the start.
I have had and seen great results from the #2 spot (if a video would show up of the F1 A Main at Speedtech's race , I dropped in on Jun's diffuser and actually had to hold back.) on a few occasions and if you watch the video of the Mods at Speedtech's race you know David Jun has no issues with it either.
I think #2 is actually an advantage cuz it's in the sweet spot of the clean line entering the sweeper.

Now as far as getting some breathing room between cars on the grid, that's a pretty sound idea for sure, works great in UF1.
Can move P1 up and P10 back and either keep the stagger or get em in line.

So, back to that F1 Video? Nothin?
If P2 and P3 get equal starts, P3 has the advantage of just launching full power straight forward and they are on the inside line for the sweeper and the 180 and can easily block out P2. The gap is so small between rows that P2 will lose time having to come down to try to block or defend the spot. How many real F1 races have we seen this year where a front row car loses ground having to move over to defend or block going into turn 1 from a car having the straight line jump and inside line going into turn 1 ?

Sounds like you need to invest in a video cam or cozy up to someone who has one to capture those golden moments.

Craig - if I remember correct, you and O were good on the start because he was already inside and passing you from his P3 spot. You are right it was someone farther behind trying to go from zero to hero before even the first turn.

I like the straight line start personally as it usually leads to more cleaner starts and a cleaner first lap. Many will argue "part of racing" is to try to get that demon start and pass multiple cars before turn 1, just like in real racing. However, real racing is real cars with real people in them and crashing in turn 1 usually ends in game over and thousands of dollars of damage and possible bodily injury. I have been in 30+ car fields at Riverside and Willow Springs and it was rare there was an accident in turn 1, lap 1. In RC, many peoples first turn bravado is fueled with knowing they won't get hurt, their car usually will be okay and continue and most of the time, the car in front gets the worst of the situation then the car causing the carnage.

With the exception of a very few that are paid to race RC, most of us pay to have fun and enjoy the competition. That "fun" goes away real fast when you work hard to qualify near the front only to be taken out on the first lap by someone else.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default Tamiya Worlds

Pretty cool watching the races in Japan live. Austin just finished his A2 race in F104 class. Easy to spot the pink car.

John from Canada is up now for his A2 now.

..... Awards ceremony finished:

John C from Canada finished 7th in GT class.

Austin B from Northern California was 13th in F104 class

Congratulations guys. Hope you had a great time and safe travels home.

Panda

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 11-19-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:53 AM
Tech Champion

If P2 and P3 get equal starts like you said, both launch full power and P2 is still ahead and leading going into the sweeper already on the grooved racing line with no need for blocking. I see P2 gettin ruined by the guy who thinks that P3 has a straight line advantage going into the sweeper.

Last edited by F N CUDA; 11-20-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
But is it wrong for a Rookie to race in the GT-1 class???
No! It's just dangerous
I just passed my one year anniversary of my RC onroad career. Am I still a rookie?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

technically there is no 'dirty line' off the start... if you are swinging that wide to be in the 'dirt' when you get to the sweeper you have other issues. trigger finger issues, happy neighbor issues..
Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
technically there is no 'dirty line' off the start... if you are swinging that wide to be in the 'dirt' when you get to the sweeper you have other issues. trigger finger issues, happy neighbor issues..
Is that what happened to you at TCS nats?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tron
Is that what happened to you at TCS nats?

Bah!.. Nats was so 'Last Year'.. get over it, i already have..
Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

If P2 and P3 get equal starts like you said, both launch full power and P2 is still ahead and leading going into the sweeper already on the grooved racing line with no need for blocking. I see P2 gettin ruined by the guy who thinks that P3 has a straight line advantage going into the sweeper.
Craig, what part of inside and outside are you missing ? P2 has to eventually move down to try to protect the position in the sweeper or leading into the 180. P3 is already on the inside line. I am pretty sure your racing line through the sweeper is not 4 feet from the curbing where you will be if you do not turn down into the sweeper and that takes time and momentum. Yeah, DJ got a great jump from P2.....because P1 was sleeping on the start.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Fan Club

Have you watched the AMod yet? Do. Can you believe those mid-race passes? The stop "just to be fair" because Fred thought he was going too fast? Dave Jun is not only technically fantastic, he is a perfect gentleman on and, I know, off the track.
Tamiya is lucky to have him... I hope they pay him enough!

Fred, too!!

Now, go hold your line!! ...And if you hit me from the rear, it wasn't really YOUR line, was it?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OSherman
Kevin and I were referring to being first to the best line thru the sweeper, the inside, not so much a dirty line outide thru it.
I was also talkin bout likin the sticky groove being thru the 2, 4, 6 grid positions as compared to the less traveled line thru the 1, 3, 5 spots to start from.

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Craig, what part of inside and outside are you missing ? P2 has to eventually move down to try to protect the position in the sweeper or leading into the 180. P3 is already on the inside line. I am pretty sure your racing line through the sweeper is not 4 feet from the curbing where you will be if you do not turn down into the sweeper and that takes time and momentum. Yeah, DJ got a great jump from P2.....because P1 was sleeping on the start.
Glad we got to hang at the track and bench race this scenario today Kevin and I still think my bench racer beats yours to the fast line everytime if both cars are equal and the launches are also equal.
I don't think P2 has that much ground to cover to drop in behind P1 even if P3 decides not to lift and tries to send it, that is of course if P2 with the better angle anyway, doesn't lift. And if he does lift then gets hit by P3, shame on P3.
If P3 manages to poke a wheel inside before P2 gets in line then I guess shame on P2? Or does it depend on how deep P3 gets?

At least today we agreed to disagree and it's all good.

So where would those familiar with Tamiya's grid prefer to start, P2 or P3 and why?
Of course assuming P1 isn't available.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Kevin and I were referring to being first to the best line thru the sweeper, the inside, not so much a dirty line outide thru it.
I was also talkin bout likin the sticky groove being thru the 2, 4, 6 grid positions as compared to the less traveled line thru the 1, 3, 5 spots to start from.

ahhh, i see.. understandable. its part of all forms of racing.. only fix is 'single' file grid for the mains.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Glad we got to hang at the track and bench race this scenario today Kevin and I still think my bench racer beats yours to the fast line everytime if both cars are equal and the launches are also equal.
I don't think P2 has that much ground to cover to drop in behind P1 even if P3 decides not to lift and tries to send it, that is of course if P2 with the better angle anyway, doesn't lift. And if he does lift then gets hit by P3, shame on P3.
If P3 manages to poke a wheel inside before P2 gets in line then I guess shame on P2? Or does it depend on how deep P3 gets?

At least today we agreed to disagree and it's all good.

So where would those familiar with Tamiya's grid prefer to start, P2 or P3 and why?
Of course assuming P1 isn't available.
Cuda, it was fun racing and bench racing with you at TQ as always. Have a good turkey day and look forward to racing with you for round 2 of UF1 on 3-Dec.

So, you really think you have something for me in LeMans class ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.