Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Harbor Hobbies looks like a cool track. make me want to think road trip in 2012.

Alan, Kelvin ? Bueller ?
You would not be disappointed The Track is a top notch facility with a great bunch of racers and Eric is a great owner who runs a great race program.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

FF class is still in for 2012, probably no changes.

1/12 is the "re-released" but with changes Tamiya 1/12 pan car. The 1980's version was the "RM" for Racing Master, this will be the RM-01. Already listed on the Japan website and shown at the Japan Hobby show. Will be a blast on any carpet track and still lots of fun on asphalt.

GT-1: faster than 17.5 GT-2 class but not open mod.

True, 99% can claim intermediate status of which 75% + of those could also claim sand bagger status. GT-3 is supposed to be a stepping stone class for newer drivers out of rookie, new people who want to start racing but with a TA05, TA06 or TB-03 and not buy a TT01 and sell within 6 months to upgrade or those people within their first year honing their skills. A place they can run without getting lapped five times in a five minute race. Someone racing for 5+ years who wants to keep racing the same 'ol thing year after year, does not have the skills to win in an A at their local track because they do not want to invest the time and money in practice and testing but still want to win that car kit and trophy, that is called sand bagging. I think everyone running at the local track pretty much knows who the lower skill drivers are, who runs sportsman and who runs the local expert class. I have been in the A for the sedan trip class at Nationals the last 4 years. I know I am not an "intermediate" driver and I applaud Fred for making GT-3 that stepping stone class to better develop racers for the faster sedan classes. The only issue will be those people that have no pride and put winning a car kit or trophy higher than trying to improve to be better in a class they should run. Will obvious sportsman drivers try to show up with the "I only have a silver can, you mean you won't let me race" sob story. Probably. Hopefully, the rest of us racers will be enough peer pressure on these type of people who will try to cherry pick to satisfy their ego's of winning.
The 12th scale is on the Tamiyausa website as well in the coming soon area.

Looks like I finally might get a 12th scale
Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
The 12th scale is on the Tamiyausa website as well in the coming soon area.

Looks like I finally might get a 12th scale
It is being released with the Toyota 84C body on it. Hopefully they will re-release the Porsche 956 body later. The original RM was my first RC car and I still have it, fully restored with the 84C body but I do have a NIB original Porsche 956 with the Rothmans decals that will get painted some day. Sine there is a local carpet track in So Cal, will probably just have to get one to play with.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
It's a very good track and Eric knows how to run a race. I've always enjoyed racing there.
Agreed, it was worth the 700 mile drive for me(just wish I could do it a LOT more).....
Old 11-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Harbor Hobbies was well worth the trip. Everytime I see a race there makes me wish I could get there. Eric, the staff, and local racers were having fun and helpfull to anyone that needed it.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

True, 99% can claim intermediate status of which 75% + of those could also claim sand bagger status. GT-3 is supposed to be a stepping stone class for newer drivers out of rookie, new people who want to start racing but with a TA05, TA06 or TB-03 and not buy a TT01 and sell within 6 months to upgrade or those people within their first year honing their skills. A place they can run without getting lapped five times in a five minute race. Someone racing for 5+ years who wants to keep racing the same 'ol thing year after year, does not have the skills to win in an A at their local track because they do not want to invest the time and money in practice and testing but still want to win that car kit and trophy, that is called sand bagging.
Nowhere in the rules it has Tamiya stated GT3 as step from Spec, that is a random perception. Has Spec ever been identified as GT4? I could argue mini should be a step from spec. Experienced drivers running spec IS sandbagging and I have talked a few out of running it. Why, look at the car, it is entry level meant for entry level people. GT3 cars are far more advanced.

GT3 for those who have ran it is more like an IROC type of race. It deems setup, driving and handling, over motor/esc combo of the week or even the latest and greatest chassis. Many great racers have and do enjoy racing this class, why because with the motor issue settled, it is skill against skill.

Locally a track added a 21.5BL as a 2nd class to "GT3", which GT3 was the only class they ran. You had your B main drivers and A main drivers before with GT3. Many of the A drivers switched to BL, I was even told either class I could run but I might want to consider the BL due to the experience level of drivers, so I did. In looking at the laps and times on an indoor loose surface, both classes are the same. Perhaps if the BL guys ran GT3 things might be different, right now there is a balance.

If I entered GT3 and lapped the field 5 times so I could win a trophy car kit, that would be no challenge to me. Since there have been high calibur drivers like Bruce H, Steve H, Doc M, Bruce L, Kelvin K, Mike L, etc. . . pitting skill against skill or even setting the bench marks, that is what it is about! Many guys working hard at moving up, appreciate those bench marks to shoot for.

Lets not turn this into a Little League where everybody has to win a trophy to feel good about themselves. If this is the new call for GT3, it will go back to what Spec was as far as random people sneaking in to sandbag to get a trophy and kit.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the pics guys. That takes care of Harbor Hobbies.

I just need for someone to get me a "store front" image of the Coliseum and RC Madness. I can't find anything on the internet. Once I have those two I can launch the new site and everyone can see the full set of rules.

Thanks

FM

Sneak peak to the classes:

GT-1: skill level-expert
GT-2: skill level-Sportsman
GT-3: skill level-Intermediate drivers-those who graduate from the spec class
Formula One: skill level-expert/intermediate
Mini: skill level-sportsman/intermediate
Mini GT: skill level-sportsman/intermediate
1/12 GT: expert/sportsman
Novice Spec: skill level-rookie

The above shows what we consider the skill level of the class. Don't buy a TRF 417X then complain about getting waxed if you're new to racing. We did warn you it was for expert level hobbyists.
In turn, don't be that guy that's been racing TCS for 18 years and race against the guys moving up from spec or are new to the sport.
The term is sandbagging.
It will be up to each host site to monitor the classes and who shouldn't be racing GT-3.

FM
Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default GT-3 Loser

I am looking at the GT-3 post discussions, and I can't say that I have ever done all that well in GT-3. I did take a 3rd in the A once, but otherwise its been a tough class. Maybe I don't qualify for GT-2 until I consistently make the A-main.

In retrospect, I may not wish to compete against the fine youth choosing to run a tub better than the TT-01, and opt into the GT3 class, but then again, is spec a novice spec, or just spec? Driving the vinyl tires on a TT-01 can be quite the ride, and from when Fred ran the "Dad's" challenge a couple years back, I didn't take a walk in the park to a victory.

New rules will always create new banter, but I still look forward to seeing what will really shake out.

EB R
Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

I do like the class setup
seeing that power plants will be cool
What about the FF03 cars will they be in one of the GT class???
thanks
M.Masters
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Cool FF-03 class (BRUSHLESS)

FRED,
WHERE IS FF-03? FF-03 IS BRUSHLESS RIGHT?
We can use the option wing as long as we add 30 grams of weight to our chassis! RIGHT?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default Weighting on the motor

Originally Posted by maxepower
FRED,
WHERE IS FF-03? FF-03 IS BRUSHLESS RIGHT?
We can use the option wing as long as we add 30 grams of weight to our chassis! RIGHT?
Okay, how about we add 30G to move from Silver can to 21.5, add 60 grams for a 17.5, I will add 90 to run my fresh 13.5, 120 grams gets you a 10.5.

Sorry, just a little fun with the not yet published rules.

EB R
Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

Default FF-03 ??

Hey Fred, where is the FF-03 in the rules? I am not seeing the mention of them.

I hope we get to run these, as they are a fun class.

EB R
Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I hope FF03 is not incorporated into the GT2 class.... Maybe we got to stop guessing.... Will somebody provide the final pictures required soon..
Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm a little mystified that mini doesn't have it's toes dipped into the novice pool. Is it being moved upmarket or is this simply the level of competition at TCS races? We used to have a spec TT01 class here and even that was considered a step up from mini.

Don't get me wrong. I don't race anything but M chassis these days. (03, 05 & 06) The only real gripe I have about the M's is that the M-04 was discontinued. It was a great car, with many, many fewer screws in it than an M-06...which I also own anyway. I think there are less screws in my whole 03 than there are in just the gearbox of my 06.

In any case, I look forward to seeing the updates.

jim
Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

X2 I loved the M04, it was a pain to get right, but when you did, it was a blast.

I agree with the FF. I hope it doesn't get absorbed in some GT class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.