Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree833Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Tamiya Racing facility!

I forgot to mention that this coming Saturday will be open for all the Speedtech racers regarless of brand! I guessing it will be a full house but you never know! Come early to get a spot!
Just my 2$
Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Almost November and no one is asking about 2012 rules yet ?
question was asked a week after Nats i do believe...
Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A lot of you inquired about the PowerMax 4200 lipos at Nats... Here they are!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default Max and his body prediction

Hey Max. To your point, I put an option wing on my Volvo 850. I like the body and I am taking a risk to run it at speedtech with out any prior run time. I am only running a silver can so fun and watching my son is the point of the day. My point now, however is that the 850 was terrible, but maybe with the option wing, it will be okay to run. It looks good.

For what it's worth,

EB R
Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Brushless mini is just stupid, especially with 17.5. Too much torque, too little grip and ultra flexable chassis. Mini should not run down an F1 car in a straight line. Like the other class ideas.

F1 should go brushless, but maybe 21.5. Speed is about the same with a 540 and there is no maintance.

Would like to see other bodies if FF03 such as the Audi TT. Should keep the TC wings out - there are already 2 classes for that. FYI - the two races I attended were won with a '99 Celica body without a wing (carpet races)

Erik

Originally Posted by maxepower
Kevin,
I'm afraid to find out what Fred has in store for us next year. A little birdie said that Gt-1 will be back to 13.5 , Gt-2 will be 17.5, GT-3 will be like an advanced novice class. FF-03 will be 21.5 and mini will have two classes one will be 17.5 brushless and there will still be a Johnson motor class as usual. Depending on the turnout in mini, we'll see how long will the 17.5 mini class will last. With the FF-03 class I hope Fred allows the option wings that way there will be a large variety of FWD CARS running, so no matter what body you use it will work as long as you have a wing in the back,you know if all you can use is the stock wing how once one body is deemed the body of choice that works then the majority of racers will use it. I know you were one of the exceptions but most including me and Rod were using the Integra. Right now I curious how the Scirocco body will work with the stock plastic wing but then all we'll have are Scirocco's and Integras! I hope Fred allows the option wing next year. Just watch the Speedtech race and there will be mor than just Integras!
Just my 2$
Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

F1 should go brushless, but maybe 21.5. Speed is about the same with a 540 and there is no maintance.
+1. it was exciting to see the 'world' level drivers run them at IIC vegas this year.

World drivers running F1??? lots of people like what the top dawgs are running. Look at all the 417's and TCX's that are bought because of their factory driver's success. I hope its a sign that F1 is gaining popularity.

I want to buy the Marc Rheinard F104x1 2011 Las Vegas edition! when will this be available? Thank you.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I thought last years rules were going to be locked in for 2 years? Has that plan changed?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ewippler
Would like to see other bodies if FF03 such as the Audi TT. Should keep the TC wings out - there are already 2 classes for that. FYI - the two races I attended were won with a '99 Celica body without a wing (carpet races)

Erik
keep it real...
Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Csaari77
I thought last years rules were going to be locked in for 2 years? Has that plan changed?
i think the exact ruling was, 'All the Brushless Class rules' were going to stay the same for 2 years because people didnt want to have to buy new Brushless Equipment every season.. Only brushless class there was/is GT1...
Old 10-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Brushless mini is just stupid, especially with 17.5. ..
Surprisingly, with the fixed gearing we ran in the 6hr Enduro, they werent too much faster than with the silver-cans. Only difference was you didnt overheat them or have to do any voodoo and are way more efficient (no dropoff in performance from start to finish of a heat).. Just Plug n Play.

I think an F1 can/will be faster with 17.5 because of the gearing options alone.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Brushless mini is just stupid, especially with 17.5. Too much torque, too little grip and ultra flexable chassis. Mini should not run down an F1 car in a straight line. Like the other class ideas.

Erik
Surprisingly, the first all-brushless Novak race @ Trackside used 17.5/GTB handout combos in mini car. It worked out very well from what I saw. The cars weren't any faster than usual, since they stuck to the fixed gearing (20 tooth pinion??).

F1 should be 21.5 though, since that's been proven to be a good motor in several different venues (IIC, UF1). 17.5 would actually be really fast.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

good point about the Novak race (although I didn't attend that one) and I think it was a spec M03 class. The newer 17.5 motors and lipo batteries are much quicker than the stuff from 2-3 years ago. Brushless elminates some the the varibility with motors, but raises the cost. It is possible mini is the largest class each year due to relatively low costs (10yr old chassis are still competive, tires last a long time, electronics are older, etc). Adding brushless would probably reduce those numbers signicately, except in locations already running brushless mini.

Would love to see brushless F1 as it should be the pinnacle of driver skill, tuning and technology, not running through tech to see if the overheated lump in the back (designed in the mid 80s) is within spec or not. Locally there are people running 21.5 against 540J and the speeds are similar. 540J seems to have higher speed, but brushless has better brakes and low end torque. That could be driver skill and setup playing a role.

Anyway, what ever Fred decides will be fun none the less.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Talking You've got to be kidding?

Erik
Dude, You are forgeting that we ran a 6 hour enduro race here at the Tamiya track in Aliso Viejo using 17.5 brushless in the mini with tamiya S- grips all the way around and only changed tires once in the front. Car was very reliable and very easy to drive car was about as fast as a mildly tweeked Johnson motor,so I don't think you have any idea what your talking about! Have you even tried a 17.5 in a mini, because of the FDR in the mini around 5.8 the motor stayed cool for 6 hours and probably could have ran another 6 hours with no issues,(NOVAK BALLISTIC WITH GTB-2) donated thru NOVAK, great product, great customer service etc,etc. just a small plug for NOVAK! Now running the new EDGE ESC by Novak, with the new small footprint for brushless it fits great in mini and in FF03, awesome ESC, good power band good brakes and very smooth throttle response! Another plug for NOVAK!
As for FF03 the key word in your comment is (carpet) not low to medium grip asphalt! Try running that celica body without a wing here at the Tamiya track and you will be singing a different tune!
Just my 2$

Last edited by maxepower; 10-26-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Talking OPTION WING

Originally Posted by EB Racer
Hey Max. To your point, I put an option wing on my Volvo 850. I like the body and I am taking a risk to run it at speedtech with out any prior run time. I am only running a silver can so fun and watching my son is the point of the day. My point now, however is that the 850 was terrible, but maybe with the option wing, it will be okay to run. It looks good.

For what it's worth,

EB R
Your won't be disappointed!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If I might pipe in on the subject...17.5BL mini is fantastic! Stupid? Hardly. We switched over to a 2200kv spec BL system for this season and have seen benefits already. For what a person would spend on a couple of cheater cans, you can have a super reliable, tech-able, controllable esc/motor for all racers that takes tuner voodoo out of the equation. I've seen people burn through 3 tuned (purchased) cans in a weekend in their desire to win. This is cheaper and eliminates the "wallet racer" from contention. (They never really win anyway.)

What we got is a spec system, with a zero timing blinky mode, spec'd to run at 2200KV, which is about the same as a decent silver can that hasn't been messed with in any way. (around 18,500rpm at 8.4v) When I mention silver can, I should clarify that the current "CS" versions were not factored, as even Tamiya considers them an aberration. The motor is a "Hobbywing style" 380 rotor in a 540 sized can, which allows for loads of torque, but not so much as to be overwhelming. These systems keep speeds under control and have led to some great racing in the first few weeks of our on road season. (We run indoor on road over the winter here, off road in the summer. Hey, it's Canada.)

Anyway, sorry to sound like a lobbyist, but I'm enthusiastic as heck about these things. Also, my apologies if I offended any "tuners". I know some of you and you're great guys, but I believe it's time for a readjustment of values and an equalization of power.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.