Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JasonC
More like bullied
the 'official' ruling at the time of the incident was 'no foul'.. reason being.. (from ruling official) "When you guys were coming on to the straight, you guys had the throttle pinned wanting to get the win, and because you guys had so much speed coming out of the turn it naturally made the two cars push wide and eventually collecting eachother."

i dont remember/see it that way...

Last edited by OSherman; 08-30-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
the 'official' ruling at the time of the innocent was 'no foul'.. reason being.. (from ruling official) "When you guys were coming on to the straight, you guys had the throttle pinned wanting to get the win, and because you guys had so much speed coming out of the turn it naturally made the two cars push wide and eventually collecting eachother."

i dont remember/see it that way...
With a trip to Japan on the line...Tamiya should really be video taping the races so they can be reviewed for situations like these. The people I heard from said Orlando got hosed. Video would tell us who's right
Old 08-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thank you to Tamiya USA, Fred Medel and crew for a great TCS Nationals!! I couldn't ask for more
Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JasonC
More like bullied
Out of Respect for Fred and the Tamiya Staff.. the insodent did happen right underneath the the Announcer and other Race officials. and i was only able to watch the one video looking down the Strait

Wish i could have been there in person.. ( maybe next year )
Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

In the time I was racing competitively, Iíve seen and been involved in similar situations more times than I care to remember. Sometimes the guy intentionally took me out and sometimes itís just a racing incident. Orlando, I can understand your frustration. Especially considering the outcome came down to less than the last 100 feet of the race. To be honest, after reviewing the video, my opinion is the same. In my opinion it was a racing incident which I canít lay blame on one driver over the other. Iím sure there has been or will be sides taken regarding this incident but I can objectively say I think it was an unfortunate racing accident that neither driver intentionally influenced.

Based on what I witnessed and saw again on the video, you and John were door to door (touching each other) from the moment you came on to the straightaway which is good racing. However, John was slightly ahead (approximately half a car length). The natural line is to swing out from the apex and this is the direction the two of you went as you both proceeded down the straightaway (this can be seen in prior laps prior to the incident). Because the car on the left (John) was slightly ahead of your car, If either of you had turned into the other (intentionally or not), you both would have veered into the driverís stand instantly and far sooner than what actually occurred. In fact, both of you veered left momentarily which can only happen if the car on the left steers left. This tells me John was trying to avoid a crash. The fact that both of you veered left shows that both of you were steering left, otherwise the two cars would have separated. I donít think you steered left for any other reason but to avoid veering right. Unfortunately, the amount each of you were steering left was not the same and it turned into ďthe pit maneuverĒ which resulted in both cars sharply veering to the right and into the drivers stand. From there, it was whoever was closest to a turn marshal.

You drove great all weekend and itís always a pleasure to have you at the events. Itís frustrating for all of us to see something like this effect the outcome. My explanation is in no way trying to take away from your frustration. I would be frustrated too. I just thought Iíd provide more detail to my opinion rather than saying ďthatís racingĒ.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Yes... thats one way to look at it....
Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Another way to look at it..

With me swinging wide and giving room knowing he had 'motor' on his side, added to that the 'good tight run' out of the corner he had, there shouldnt have been any contact..

The veer to the left was not in fact a veer. It was an avoidance initiated by myself as not to be pushed into the curbing (initial reason for contact) that i was being pushed toward.

The left-veer looked as such cause the entire incident was actually two pushes to the right..

..just saying..
Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

From what I saw and reviewed several times in the video, the line both of you took entering the straight was more or less the same as the laps prior to the incident. Problem was that he was a half a car length ahead and both of you were already touching and both full throttle. This is key here. Anytime this scenario occurs, the car thatís ahead is almost always at the mercy of the other car. This is because any movement the lead car makes in the other cars direction is going to turn both cars in that direction instantly. If the car trailing, turns into (towards) the leading car, the same thing will happen and it will be immediate with no veering the other direction first. Even if the leading car is trying to go straight or even steering the other direction. If you were side by side maybe, but not when one car is half way ahead. This is because with half a car length difference, the trailing car rotates the lead car making all four tires point to the direction of the trailing car. This is exactly why ďthe Pit ManeuverĒ is so effective; the trailing car has control so to speak.

Having said that, I donít think you were trying to spin the other car out. As you confirmed, you were trying to avoid the curb. I believe John was too which is why both cars veered left. As I mentioned earlier, the only way this would happen (when one car is half a car length ahead of the other) is if the lead car steered away. You alone pushing towards the other car would actually result in previously described pit maneuver. This is also key. If the trailing car steers into the leading car, the lead car wonít veer away before turning in the direction of the trailing car if itís steering into the trailing car, it will veer in the direction of the trailing car immediately and it would happen abruptly (If you were side by side steering into each other you both would go straight). This is why the fact that the two of you veering left was both of you trying to avoid the crash. Unfortunately, it still happened and I donít think either driver was at fault.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

BTW, what was you final drive ratio? Did you change your gearing for the mains?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Over it... Next subject!!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Over it... Next subject!!
Indeed.

Fred: when can we expect to see the rules for 2012
Old 08-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Danced between 4.02 and 4.22 all weekend.. Testing prior with similar motor (fresh out the box, no voodoo, using Tamiya bullet plugs) 8min run back to back to back proved I could use that gearing and maintain 16.5-15.9 laptimes... 4.11 was used in the main.. Used same gearing at FunRace.. All that and considering the recommended 3.89 deemed 'borderline' in FF03 at one time I felt safe, as testing showed..

This is actually another subject I'd rather not open too far.. I've voiced my opinion before.. But having invested a lot of time and money in the series, decided to run the class cause of a personal goal of mine.. I could taste it, then my sandwich got stolen..
Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Orlando, you drove AWESOME the whole weekend.

Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.

Next year you will be the guy to beat fo sho !
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Danced between 4.02 and 4.22 all weekend.. Testing prior with similar motor (fresh out the box, no voodoo, using Tamiya bullet plugs) 8min run back to back to back proved I could use that gearing and maintain 16.5-15.9 laptimes... 4.11 was used in the main.. Used same gearing at FunRace.. All that and considering the recommended 3.89 deemed 'borderline' in FF03 at one time I felt safe, as testing showed..

This is actually another subject I'd rather not open too far.. I've voiced my opinion before.. But having invested a lot of time and money in the series, decided to run the class cause of a personal goal of mine.. I could taste it, then my sandwich got stolen..
That sounds about right for a 4WD. I was curious because everything looked great until the middle of A2 when it looked like it went flat around the 5 min mark. I havenít seen any lap times to support this but thatís what it looked like and it didnít look good from the start A3.

I remember you had some kind of radio binding issues last year so I can understand how the things that transpired this past weekend can be frustrating to say the least. I truly hope you donít get discouraged and continue for the win next year. I think you have more than enough talent, you just need everything to come together and it will happen. I honestly think itís a matter of when, not if you win. And when you do, I think all this will make the victory that much more rewarding.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

...back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.