Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Actually, the latest version black cans with the harder brushes are much less volatile than the older ones. Did up a bunch of them for some series in Australia or NZ and they had a ball with them, not one of them burned up.

I think they ran a spec gear ratio, though. Smart.
Actually they were the newer ones at Nats, unless there is a newer newer version out. Locally I don't know, would assume newer being they were buying them.

Spec ratio is smart.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

So do we know what the spec battery is going to be for nats? It would be nice to pick one up ahead of time to dial the car in.

Mark
Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

If I remember correctly, FWM announced at the beginning of the racing season how he was going to determine the Japan Trip winners. That was by attendance. The top 3 popular classes go to Japan.
I guess if my primary goal was to win the North American Finals and go to Japan, then I would have run a couple of classes to cover myself in the event that one of the classes would not be going.
This is always the most interesting time of the year to read the TCS thread! (Excuse me while I refill my popcorn bowl)
For those who have been participating in TCS events over the years, you should be well aware that you will have little influence over the rules put together by FWM and recently announced. He puts a lot of thought into the formulation of the rules to be as fair to ALL participants, both the experienced and inexperienced. The TCS series is unique from all other competitions because it reaches out to everyone who has the desire to participate/compete. It is the only program in RC On Road Racing that I know of that reaches out to people of all skill levels across the US/Canada.
When I was 10 years old and had the opportunity to participate in my first TCS race, I could hardly sleep the night before because of my excitement. The same thing occurred when I got to experience my first TCS NAF (actually I had the same feeling every year I participated). What a great series... it's able to reach and excite all levels of racer... young, old, the inexperienced and the seasoned veteran. For those of you who are coming out to participate this year, from near or far (I've done both!)stop and take the time to appreciate the experience. After all, there will only be one winner in each class. Enjoy the competition but remember the friends you've made and the things you've learned from the experience to be applied for next years race if you aren't the winner. In the long run these will be the things that stand out most in my memories as a racer when I'm as old as... Grandpa!
An example of a TCS Champion who won but wasn't favored to, would be Christian Lopez, 2010 GT3 Champ. If success is determined by the biggest racing budget, Christian had a lesser chance of winning. Did you ever take a close look at the body he ran? The two guys that stood next to him on the podium had bodies better than his that they threw away in their garbage cans! But one thing that the competition couldn't compete with was his driving skill and preparation. He just out drove and out prepared them... silver can and all. Maybe in this case the item that laid a level playing field might have been the good old silver can. It's what makes TCS unique and special.
If there is anyone who needs help with anything this year at the TCS NAF, my dad and I will be available for help or advice all weekend. We want everyone who attends the race to have as great of an experience as we have been fortunate to have over the years. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones!!

Lee
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Farewell for now

I would like to thank Casey, Richard and all the racers of the Coliseum. I would also like to thank all the racers of the Tamiya TCS racing series. Both the Coliseum and TCS help shape my son, Randy into a very competitive racer while at the same time, giving me 5 wonderful years of a father/son relationship.

In 2006, Randy picked out a $99 4wd Tamiya Mercedes Benz for his 13th birthday. Randy was sliding around a Radio Shack XMOD on the kitchen floor for a year and wanted something better. But we also saw the same car for $150. We couldn't figure it out. I eventually got the $150 one and later found out it was a TA05 and the $99 one was a TT01. We went to a our first TCS race a week later in Laurel with a Dynamite wind-up charger, Dynamite 600mAh NiCd stick batteries and unglued tires. ... we were hooked ever since then. Bye, bye Boy Scouts.

We ended up in the Coliseum 06-07 Sportsman program. After graduating in the summer of 2007, we raced every weekend all year around. We were always preparing for the next TCS race. We went to Aliso Vieja, CA in the summer of 2008 for the TCS Nats and had many other great racing moments doing the TCS racing circuit. (Lots of videos on YouTube)

To make a long story short, Randy just completed the 2011 Roar Nats at Jackson RC in both 13.5 and Mod TC. It was a long, fast and fun road to get there. The first goal (after sitting out for a year to enjoy the last year in high school) was to first get in the A main. The second goal was to end up better than he started. I was a little concerned, but Randy was quick to say "...it is like riding a bicycle." Both goals achieved in both classes.

A plug for Red Dot Motors
I would also like to thank Doc Mertes and Ray K. for the wonderful racing years and crazy Red Dot horsepower. ...and the many gallons of Red Stripe Beer. Our Red Dot tuned brushless 13.5 and Mod motors were unbelievable. Many spectators this past weekend said that Randy's mod motor was the loudest and was stupid fast. We hate this Blinky racing, but our 13.5 had the power to put the nose into the mix.

The 2 XRAY T3'11, TA05, and F1 will get boxed up and sent to the basement. In 2 weeks, Randy is off to my alma mater, Virgina Tech, to study Engineering.
Until then, I will retire as another proud "R/C Racing Dad". We will see if Randy can still ride a bicycle a year or 2 from now.

I feel sorry for my 15 year old daughter who is shaping up to be a gymnastic star. "Racing Dad" hat goes off...the next 3 years, the "Gymnastic Dad" hat goes on. How does Team B&B Gymnastics sound?

Thanks
-- Randy's Dad

First big race - Sept 2007 - XRAY T2 '007.

Last big race - July 2011 - XRAY T3 '11

Last Tamiya TCS Race - July 2009 with TCS friend, Austin Vacek - Tamiya TRF416
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ROAR Nats Cars, MOD and 13.5 Spec TC

ROAR Nats 2011, 13.5 TC A3 - Qualified 7th, finished 4th
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ROAR Nats 2011, MOD TC A3 - Qualified 8th, finished 6th
+ YouTube Video
Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Like

I wish there was a "Like" button here because I like TeamB&B's post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by colhazard
I wish there was a "Like" button here because I like TeamB&B's post
+1
Cool story
Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TCS Finals Warm Up Fun Race

Hello everyone,

Very cool story up above.

We have a TCS Finals Warm-Up Fun Race scheduled for August 13th. See attached Flyer for information.

BTW: Rtype C is going to enter F-1 to show everyone a "What What" with his brand new shiny F104X1

FM
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Warm Up FlyerV2.pdf (480.1 KB, 240 views)
Old 08-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Rookie

A quick question for Fred,
I qualified at my regional in GT1 but had to sell my car recently, can I participate at the Nats in FWD instead?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Yes.

We are being strict on the class eligibility requirements in regards to the trip winning classes only. Last year we had a lot of racers jump ship once they found out the trip winning classes.
Please join us in FWD. It's a fun class and once the sign ups go live this week you'll notice that everyone can enter FWD as a second class if they wish.

FM
Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
BTW: Rtype C is going to enter F-1 to show everyone a "What What" with his brand new shiny F104X1

FM
Gee, thanks friend.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Hello everyone,

The TCS North American Finals Drivers Manual is now on our website. The manual contains all the information you need to know about this years event.

Good luck to everyone

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/NAF_rules.php
Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Hello everyone,

The TCS North American Finals Drivers Manual is now on our website. The manual contains all the information you need to know about this years event.

Good luck to everyone

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/NAF_rules.php
Nice job Fred oh btw you didn't put on there- no throwing of your silver can after the race when you got spanked fair and square
Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Besides the "no smoking" inside the facility signs, we added "beware of stray flying silver cans"
Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Well.... At least I dont smoke...
Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Besides the "no smoking" inside the facility signs, we added "beware of stray flying silver cans"
You forgot the "Brandon is not allowed within 100' of Concourse judging rule" also Fred.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.