Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello,

I qualified in GT1 at my regional, however, I've since sold my GT1 car due to financial hardship, will I still be able to participate in the Nationals under a different class?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
I know a lot of racers hate the Silvercan for any number of reasons, many of them justified. However, once rpm limits were instituted, it's the fairest and most free of wizardry. Tech is easy cause any idiot can run a motor checker. Almost all of the Silvercan haters I'm sure could with intensive instruction be taught how to run one. Not that they would want to.

It comes down to advantage.
Those who spent the time buying, breaking, smoking, dynoing, testing, granading, and racing silvercans will always have an advantage.
The same list above applies to brushless although my pockets are not as deep for BL.

It is funny how guys think switching from silvercan to BL will make them more competitive and things simpler. See it all the time locally. If you are burning up silver cans, it is not necessarily the motor, could be gearing, drivetrain binding, esc, driving, the list goes on. I wonder how many SC handout motors burned up last year at the Nats, all were box stock. Many guys don't want to hear that, easier to throw it away instead of learning the whys. To me $18 is easier to replace instead of $80. A friend returned a borrowed SC, it fell on the floor and broke, did not really care, if it was BL, I would, although would not ruin my friendship over it.

I love both technologies, work hard at not burning up anything and make sure I know the gear ranges.
SC or BL, to me it is all the same in regards they both get me on the track racing and keep things affordable.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The whole concept of 'Racing' (tuning to make faster) a SilverCan in a Sedan class is just a lil bass-ackwards to me...

Thats like throwing a stock 1986 Honda CRX crate motor in a tricked out 2011 JGTC RaceCar...

$0.02

Last edited by OSherman; 07-28-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mini master
I know since i am a past champ i dont have to much say on what we should run, but i think its sad that the one class that requires the most DRIVING SKILL and not MOTOR TUNNING SKILL (GT-1) is not a class to go to japan. Every class going this year are all silver can. If you dont know what your doing with that motor you will never be in contention. if we were not allowed to do any motor tuning than maybe i would understand a little more. And all of you out there that say Silver can is fare, don't lie to yourselves you know that its always the one with the fastest motor during the race that has the highest chance of winning and that most of the time does win. When i was in japan they had 3 classes during the worlds. MINI, GT-2, and GT-1. GT-1 was considered the highest class there. When the GT-1 awards were presented they made a huge deal of the winner, not to say they didn't care about the mini and GT-2 winners but we all saw how much more they made a big deal of GT-1. if GT-1 is the highest looked at class during the worlds why isn't it a class that will send us to the worlds. This is the second year in a row that GT-1 isnt a national class. And even though you can say F1 is more popular than GT-1, its by 1%. im curious to see what class is more popular on the west coast, where more than 1% of the national turn out comes from. All i know is that the last fun race, less than a month ago. GT-1 was the most popular class.
I agree lets run three classes for nats that are trip winning classes -

Mini Spec
Mini Brushless
Mini Modified

OK.......Good Stay tuned for TCS website update rules and regs. Glad we got this ironed out.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Brushless may not be 100% dead level, but it is a helluva lot easier. When we were running 19T brushed, you had to freshen the motor very run, or every other run, to keep it competitive. With brushless I don't have to touch the motor almost ever, except a mild cleaning every now and then. No more comm turning , brush shaping , hood aligning or any of the other BS that goes with brushed motors. I would like it if TCS was all brushless, but at the moment I am just glad to be going to the Nats again. I think the way they are handling the silvercans is just right, because from what I have seen, the CS brushed motors are pretty even in terms of out of the box performance.
Originally Posted by OSherman
The whole concept of 'Racing' (tuning to make faster) a SilverCan in a Sedan class is just a lil bass-ackwards to me...

Thats like throwing a stock 1986 Honda CRX crate motor in a tricked out 2011 JGTC RaceCar...

$0.02
Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

It's pretty simple. Those who put in the work, whether on motor, chassis, or driving will have an advantage. I was accused of having a red hot (dot) motor in my car and that was why I'd gotten faster. I was running a brand new unbroken silver can. I just stopped hitting stuff and ran a better line and voila. The previous heat where I sucked is when I ran my much faster red dot motor. Thanx Doc that thing is still kickin as advertised. So many people want to talk equipment when simply working on their driving skills would make a far bigger difference.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Also, Fred, why couldn't you send the GT1 winner instead of GT2? Roar doesn't send the stock winner over the mod winner to Ifmar just because more people drove the class. My 2 cents says that the top discipline with each type of car should go. Then again it'll never be me (I'm an average driver on my best day) so what do I care?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To think that I was actually pissed off when they changed from mod to 19 turn for GT1 back in 2003. Another all silvercan TCS nationals? Geez. Good luck everyone!

Team: Silvercans are for vibrators.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I agree 100% There is no substitute for hard work and dedication. Corner speed and lack of pine will beat more horsepower just about every time. My point is that brushless along with Lipo batteries have taken a lot of the tediousness out of racing. If I don't break my car, I can go 2-3 racedays before I have to wrench on the car. Lately my box stays packed until I go to the next race.
Originally Posted by westerdude42
It's pretty simple. Those who put in the work, whether on motor, chassis, or driving will have an advantage. I was accused of having a red hot (dot) motor in my car and that was why I'd gotten faster. I was running a brand new unbroken silver can. I just stopped hitting stuff and ran a better line and voila. The previous heat where I sucked is when I ran my much faster red dot motor. Thanx Doc that thing is still kickin as advertised. So many people want to talk equipment when simply working on their driving skills would make a far bigger difference.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

$0.02
Under "newer" rules the "tuning to make faster" is not really a factor as it was 2 years ago. It is mostly about car optimization, corner speed and tuning to the track. If you apply the chassis learning from SC to BL, you will be faster, guarentee it.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linger
To think that I was actually pissed off when they changed from mod to 19 turn for GT1 back in 2003. Another all silvercan TCS nationals? Geez. Good luck everyone!

Team: Silvercans are for vibrators.
this needs to be your new signature

"Silvercans are for Vibrators"
Old 07-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

The plus is you can use the wrench time you would have spent on motors working on other aspects of racing. If you wrench more on the suspension, work on your driving or get more sleep you are improving your chances. The point I'm trying to make is that people who work hard on their cars and practice their driving are almost always going to come out on top. No amount of voodoo or money is going to replace the value of sweat equity.
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I agree 100% There is no substitute for hard work and dedication. Corner speed and lack of pine will beat more horsepower just about every time. My point is that brushless along with Lipo batteries have taken a lot of the tediousness out of racing. If I don't break my car, I can go 2-3 racedays before I have to wrench on the car. Lately my box stays packed until I go to the next race.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Under "newer" rules the "tuning to make faster" is not really a factor as it was 2 years ago. It is mostly about car optimization, corner speed and tuning to the track. If you apply the chassis learning from SC to BL, you will be faster, guarentee it.
im not worried about or complaining about the rules.. its about principal.. Race-intended motors, for race intended cars... my 'tuning to make faster' isnt directed solely to the drive train.. its directed at the marriage of the two.. HondaCrate motor in a JGTC Race Car.. bass-ackwards...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

One more question, Why is the TT01 the novice car? I am currently setting one up for my six year old to run at Galaxy hobbies this August. This car is a nightmare to work on and really is not anything more than a parking lot basher. Why not run Mini's with a gear restriction for novice? The less wrenching and tweaking and increased durability would probably make for a better experience for newer drivers and would be more likely to draw them deeper into the hobby. I have both the TT01 and a mini that I built for my son and he is consistently better with the mini.
Originally Posted by westerdude42
Also, Fred, why couldn't you send the GT1 winner instead of GT2? Roar doesn't send the stock winner over the mod winner to Ifmar just because more people drove the class. My 2 cents says that the top discipline with each type of car should go. Then again it'll never be me (I'm an average driver on my best day) so what do I care?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

HondaCrate motor in a JGTC Race Car..
If there was one for sale at an affordable price, I'd buy one

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.