Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks Fred,
Ticket booked, can't wait!!!!!!. I would say its going to be a long months wait, but I know that I will be in an absolute thrash to get ready 2 days before departure.

Originally Posted by FMW
Here you go gentlemen. There should be no suprises here =)
The same information here is on our website.

7/25/11
TCS North American Finals announcements:

The 2011 TCS North American Finals are coming up on August 27-28. Based on class participation in the 2011 season (using all the regional races, INCLUDING the rain out Tamiya America event, but EXCLUDING the final regional race at Galaxy Hobbies due to the proximity of the TCS North American Finals) the 2011 Trip winning classes are: Mini, GT-2 and F-1.

The breakdown in class participation for 2011:

• Mini (31.65%)
• GT-2 (17.62%)
• F-1 (16.31%)
• GT-1 (15.01%)
• FWD (10.93%)
• Spec Novice (8.48%)

The 2011 TCS North America Finals will be run in almost the exact same format as the 2010 event. The Drivers manual will be uploaded shortly on the TCS website.

Important Notes:
• A spec battery will be announced in the upcoming manual for the trip winning classes. The same 540-J motor rules for the trip winning classes will be used as in 2010.
• The classes that will be run for the 2011 event are: Mini, GT-2, F1, GT-1, FWD and Spec.
• FWD (FF-03 cars only) will be an open class to all current TCS racers and former TCS National champions for the best of the best showdown. TCS Regional Seasonal Rules apply.
• All other class rules and regulations are the same as the regular season race events.
• Practice days for the event are August 25-26 (Thursday-Friday) 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
• Tables, chairs and power will be supplied starting early Friday morning.
• Speedtech R/C will be the official “on-site” hobby store during the TCS North American Finals.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mini master
I know since i am a past champ i dont have to much say on what we should run, but i think its sad that the one class that requires the most DRIVING SKILL and not MOTOR TUNNING SKILL (GT-1) is not a class to go to japan....

-Wall of Text-

...All i know is that the last fun race, less than a month ago. GT-1 was the most popular class.
Totally agreed. To add my 2, wouldn't it be cool if GT-1 was run as an open modified class in the states...ensuring that the eventual trip winner knows their kung fu when they get to Japan and could properly wax everybody running in a "slower" spec...or atleast have a chance.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default Time to make spritzers

I know since i am a past champ i dont have to much say on what we should run, but i think its sad that the one class that requires the most DRIVING SKILL and not MOTOR TUNNING SKILL (GT-1) is not a class to go to japan. Every class going this year are all silver can. If you dont know what your doing with that motor you will never be in contention. if we were not allowed to do any motor tuning than maybe i would understand a little more. And all of you out there that say Silver can is fare, don't lie to yourselves you know that its always the one with the fastest motor during the race that has the highest chance of winning and that most of the time does win. When i was in japan they had 3 classes during the worlds. MINI, GT-2, and GT-1. GT-1 was considered the highest class there. When the GT-1 awards were presented they made a huge deal of the winner, not to say they didn't care about the mini and GT-2 winners but we all saw how much more they made a big deal of GT-1. if GT-1 is the highest looked at class during the worlds why isn't it a class that will send us to the worlds. This is the second year in a row that GT-1 isnt a national class. And even though you can say F1 is more popular than GT-1, its by 1%. im curious to see what class is more popular on the west coast, where more than 1% of the national turn out comes from. All i know is that the last fun race, less than a month ago. GT-1 was the most popular class.
I hear you, but:
1) I suspect Fred has noticed just how fast a GT-1 car goes with a non-boosted ESC and just how much motor tomfoolery you can pull. He has continued to try and cut costs as much as he can, and I can totally forsee someone racing GT1 having to bring several 17-5 motors to the track and fully expecting to smoke at least one.
2) If, as I think I deduce from Fred's announcement, that we are using last year's silver-can motor rules, then there certainly is a limit as to how much tuning/tweaking someone can do with their motors. Will guys continue to fiddle and tweak? Certainly. I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that unless every track, including TA, does a handout/random-draw motor rule, we'll never be able to completely stop guys from mucking about with these motors. But if we use last year's RPM and amp limits, those of us without killer motor-tuning skills will be closer to those with said skills than otherwise possible. And, ask last year's winners; motor wasn't as big a factor as it could have been.
3) As one of the aforementioned West Coast/1% of the national-turnout drivers, I really hope you're not suggesting that we have some sort of undue influence on TA and Fred's decisions. I would strongly question that assertion. Besides, I can tell you from personal experience that no amount of buying him Starbucks and Cheesecake Factory items has had any significant influence on Fred. Other than getting him to ignore what a hack I am.
4) GT1 the class that requires the "most DRIVING SKILL" (emphasis in the original)? Have ya driven an F104 with the Tamiya rubber tires lately? I'm just grateful they only make the F1 guys run silver cans. If they ran 17.5's, it'd be like taking a thoroughbred horse ice-skating: not very pretty, and somebody'd get hurt.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

For national, we have to install the silver can at the tech table and cannot bring back to the pit to tweak. So there is no rpm limit, right ?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If I'm not mistaken, the F1s will have handout motors again for the Nats, correct?
That has been the only silver can racing that I've ever been involved in that actually seemed controlled.
The fact that we (F1) were able to practice with our 1 allotted motor, get a feel for the correct gear but never be allowed to fondle it in the pits, gave a great sense of equallity in my opinion.
RPM limits, although easing the burden on the scrutineering lads (or does it?) is just a pain in the rear pod.

Mini motor handouts with the fixed gear and then reshuffled handouts seems to be the ticket for them and if F1 had a fixed gear set (26/93 ) this would also work for them, us, as well.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This is the second year in a row that GT-1 isnt a national class. And even though you can say F1 is more popular than GT-1, its by 1%. im curious to see what class is more popular on the west coast, where more than 1% of the national turn out comes from. All i know is that the last fun race, less than a month ago. GT-1 was the most popular class.
There have been pretty poor turnouts for GT1 in a lot of places. That's actually sad, since one of the best races I saw all year was at Harbor Hobbies' TCS outside Chicago in GT1. There was a strong GT1 turnout and an awesome A main battle.

That being said, isn't it ironic that an asphalt race determines the chance to go to a carpet race? You can't always get what you want....
Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
If I'm not mistaken, the F1s will have handout motors again for the Nats, correct?
That has been the only silver can racing that I've ever been involved in that actually seemed controlled.
The fact that we (F1) were able to practice with our 1 allotted motor, get a feel for the correct gear but never be allowed to fondle it in the pits, gave a great sense of equallity in my opinion.
RPM limits, although easing the burden on the scrutineering lads (or does it?) is just a pain in the rear pod.

Mini motor handouts with the fixed gear and then reshuffled handouts seems to be the ticket for them and if F1 had a fixed gear set (26/93 ) this would also work for them, us, as well.
Handout motors did work great last year.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello everyone,

In regards to the silver can motor rules: All 3 trip winning class will be under the same rules as the 2010 event, which means hand out silver cans and no one will be allowed to take them to the pits. You must install them in tech and remove them in tech. It's just like last year.

In regards to the trip winning classes: GT-1 this year made a significant comeback because we took away boost. It's on track to becoming the second biggest class in the very near future. There's no doubt in my mind it will be next year. 1% doesn't seem like much, but had we awarded the trip to GT-1 it would have been wrong based on participation. The F1 participants would have screamed fowl.

Ideally, 4 classes should be going to Japan, but we are limited to 3 again and I had to reward the classes with the best attendance.

I appreciate how everyone has embraced GT-1 again. I have no doubt, based on my pending plans for 2012, that it will be the premier class in 2012. More on that on a later date.....

Good luck to everyone this year.

P.S. In regards to the rain out May TCS race: If you signed up for that race, the class or classes you registered in count for your TCS North American Finals class eligibility. Just in case anyone wondered.....

FM
Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Thanks Fred...

I liked the motor rules last year....No Tom Foolery.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

perfect.

By the way, F1 was 1.3% more popular than GT-1
Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I know since i am a past champ i dont have to much say on what we should run, but i think its sad that the one class that requires the most DRIVING SKILL and not MOTOR TUNNING SKILL (GT-1) is not a class to go to japan. Every class going this year are all silver can. If you dont know what your doing with that motor you will never be in contention. if we were not allowed to do any motor tuning than maybe i would understand a little more. And all of you out there that say Silver can is fare, don't lie to yourselves you know that its always the one with the fastest motor during the race that has the highest chance of winning and that most of the time does win. When i was in japan they had 3 classes during the worlds. MINI, GT-2, and GT-1. GT-1 was considered the highest class there. When the GT-1 awards were presented they made a huge deal of the winner, not to say they didn't care about the mini and GT-2 winners but we all saw how much more they made a big deal of GT-1. if GT-1 is the highest looked at class during the worlds why isn't it a class that will send us to the worlds. This is the second year in a row that GT-1 isnt a national class. And even though you can say F1 is more popular than GT-1, its by 1%. im curious to see what class is more popular on the west coast, where more than 1% of the national turn out comes from. All i know is that the last fun race, less than a month ago. GT-1 was the most popular class.
+1
Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default handouts held in tech...

are we getting the same motor back each round? or are they gonna be thrown in a box, shuffled and re-distributed?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
are we getting the same motor back each round? or are they gonna be thrown in a box, shuffled and re-distributed?
Motors should be shuffled and gearing should be fixed.

IMO
Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
GT-1 this year made a significant comeback because we took away boost.FM
Nationally, I believe 17.5 'blinky' is usually the biggest class at the club level. All of the tracks that race touring in my area have good turnouts for it. It's usually the largest class week in and week out.

Lots of normal 17.5 racers are turned away because the TCS specs are so specific and particular.
I think the dust has settled and TCS racers are becoming comfortable with the spec'd ESC and Motors. Fred should keep GTI the way it is. Personally, my frustration were that rules for the brushless classes changed yearly (legal bodies, tires, etc) for the last couple of years.

GT1 racing will be good if the spec'd esc's and motors stay the same (no new speedos or motors).

The brushless motor wars are happening right now with all the foolery (crazy advanced timing, tuning rotors, ventilated cans...)
This years ROAR Nationals at Jackson has a 17.5 blinky class and those cars will be insanely fast... no way a GTB2 and a Ballistic could ever hang.

I had a great time at the 2 TCS races near me this year. Good luck to everyone at the TCS Nationals.

My only suggestion for 2012 is to join the rest of the world and have 6 min. qualifiers and mains. Participation is greatly down across the US, so there's plenty of time to finish on Sundays.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by FMW
Hello everyone,

In regards to the silver can motor rules: All 3 trip winning class will be under the same rules as the 2010 event, which means hand out silver cans and no one will be allowed to take them to the pits. You must install them in tech and remove them in tech. It's just like last year.

In regards to the trip winning classes: GT-1 this year made a significant comeback because we took away boost. It's on track to becoming the second biggest class in the very near future. There's no doubt in my mind it will be next year. 1% doesn't seem like much, but had we awarded the trip to GT-1 it would have been wrong based on participation. The F1 participants would have screamed fowl.

Ideally, 4 classes should be going to Japan, but we are limited to 3 again and I had to reward the classes with the best attendance.

I appreciate how everyone has embraced GT-1 again. I have no doubt, based on my pending plans for 2012, that it will be the premier class in 2012. More on that on a later date.....

Good luck to everyone this year.

P.S. In regards to the rain out May TCS race: If you signed up for that race, the class or classes you registered in count for your TCS North American Finals class eligibility. Just in case anyone wondered.....

FM
I am sure it is a tough decision to come to a conclusion on what classes should go to Japan every year. But one thing for sure last years F1 Racing at the Nats was proabably the most exciting RC Racing that I can remember and I have been racing RC cars since 1978. We had 3 different A main winners last year in the Triple A mains and when it was all said and done Danny, Craig and myself were only 1,000th of a second apart to determine who would go to Japan! I know personally it was very exciting stuff!
The Hand out Motor Rule really evened the playing field and looked what happened? "GREAT RACING" Hopefully we will have this type close competition this year?
Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.