Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree821Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (98%+)

Anyone have Tekin RS setup for silver can they could share with a total n00b for silver can racing, mini and gt2 classes next week in Maryland? Would appreciate any help or guidance
Old 07-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jhhack
Anyone have Tekin RS setup for silver can they could share with a total n00b for silver can racing, mini and gt2 classes next week in Maryland? Would appreciate any help or guidance
As far as I know the Tekin RS only has 1 setting for brushed mode, unless it has changed with new software. Just set it up like any 1 touch and make sure your EPA's are at 100%, (150% for KO). It makes a big difference. at the TA nats I found out after the race I was only at 120% and it was still fast.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Default Greetings

Originally Posted by Serpent_Gordo
As far as I know the Tekin RS only has 1 setting for brushed mode, unless it has changed with new software. Just set it up like any 1 touch and make sure your EPA's are at 100%, (150% for KO). It makes a big difference. at the TA nats I found out after the race I was only at 120% and it was still fast.

Hope this helps!
Brother Gordo! Haven't heard from ya awhile! How they flying these days? Love to see youse and your dad and get some lessons at the next fun race. Can't think of anyone else I'd rather get my ass kicked by.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Next Fun RACE Revision 2

Originally Posted by 240Z
And the date would be.......
240Z
No actual date set but Fred did say before the Nats on August 27-28. So if he had to guess I would say August 6th or 13th.
Tom,
What's up? You were missed this passed weekend. But, the fun race should have been called the "Being Schooled by Past Champion's Race". Every class was won by a past champ except for Gt-2.
No sour grapes just I know we need to give those guys our "A" game if we expect to beat them!
Still great raffle prizes and exciting racing for all!
See Ya!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Carmaggedon, shmarmageddon

Originally Posted by maxepower
Tom,
What's up? You were missed this passed weekend. But, the fun race should have been called the "Being Schooled by Past Champion's Race". Every class was won by a past champ except for Gt-2.
No sour grapes just I know we need to give those guys our "A" game if we expect to beat them!
Still great raffle prizes and exciting racing for all!
See Ya!
Brother Max, I am well, sitting in an air-conditioned hotel room in a humid PA town and laughing my ass off about Carmageddon. So, were you the GT2 winner at the fun race? Also, you must dish. How did the Mini enduro go? I am surprised someone didn't post up yet--or did it run into the night? This can only mean one thing: next time, the Minis run with headlights. And we should do a 12-hour enduro in October. Eh?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tom Slick
Brother Max, I am well, sitting in an air-conditioned hotel room in a humid PA town and laughing my ass off about Carmageddon. So, were you the GT2 winner at the fun race? Also, you must dish. How did the Mini enduro go? I am surprised someone didn't post up yet--or did it run into the night? This can only mean one thing: next time, the Minis run with headlights. And we should do a 12-hour enduro in October. Eh?
The Enduro was, how shall we put it, a bit disappointing for our team. The guys from San Diego won it for the second year in a row. They deserved their hard earned win and were up about 8 laps. Their Chuck Leslie prepared car was very fast and was well driven by Orlando, Danny Eggar, and Micheal Monaghan. The Barry Baker team and Devin Whites teams finished second and third. It was close cause they were separated by 2 seconds or so after 6 hrs.

Our team finished fourth due to some bad luck. Things were looking really promising for a while cause we had jumped out to a nice 8 lap lead just short of the 2 hour mark. Rod Canare and Edgar Ciallos (sp?) with the Granpa prepared car,were steadily gapping the field. Then, disaster, the car quit running. By the time we traced it back to a Deans plug, we were about 50 laps down. Got about half of that back in the next 4 hours, but lost too much time in the pits. Still was fun even if it "grates" a bit to have a "really" good car, a strong team of drivers in Rod, Edgar, Max and Mark, and have Lady Luck bite you in the ass.

The handout 17.5 brushless deal worked out much better than I expected. However, the incessant propaganda of the brushless advocates that the motors would all be equal was only partially true. Some of the motors were a bit more "equal" than others, but they were much closer in performance than you would have seen if Silvercans were used. The reliability of the systems was a bit disappointing as I was led to believe they would be much more reliable than they proved out to be in the Enduro. After running a brushless system for the first time, I've come to the conclusion that they aren't as horrible as I first thought nor quite as good as some are advertising.

Last edited by Granpa; 07-17-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Ommission
Old 07-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default brushless...

i would have to disagree with the brushless comment Granpa.. i think they all were pretty friggin close.. altho some did seem to go down the straight a lil faster. others had quite a bit of punch.. NONE had both if you drove your car to its advantage, it evened out by the end of the lap..

i will say tho, im sure some teams chose better battery pacs than others.. funny mini gear sets could have been brought to the table as well.. hard to say without a tech inspection.

i for one had a blast chasin down the 'fast guys', we actually thought we would have to find a win in a pit-strategy during the opening hours.. Rod, Edgar, Barry and Steve were driving their tails off like we knew they would..
Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Brother Gordo! Haven't heard from ya awhile! How they flying these days? Love to see youse and your dad and get some lessons at the next fun race. Can't think of anyone else I'd rather get my ass kicked by.
Hey Tommy boy how you been? Were good just doing a lot of gas racing, we may be at the next fun race, but we will not be at the nationals. I have a race up north the same weekend Hope to be out there soon!

Gordo
Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OSherman
i would have to disagree with the brushless comment Granpa.. i think they all were pretty friggin close.. altho some did seem to go down the straight a lil faster. others had quite a bit of punch.. NONE had both if you drove your car to its advantage, it evened out by the end of the lap..

i will say tho, im sure some teams chose better battery pacs than others.. funny mini gear sets could have been brought to the table as well.. hard to say without a tech inspection.

i for one had a blast chasin down the 'fast guys', we actually thought we would have to find a win in a pit-strategy during the opening hours.. Rod, Edgar, Barry and Steve were driving their tails off like we knew they would..
Actually, O, we do agree. The motors were very close in performance----much closer than if we had used Silvercans. There were a couple of exceptions tho that I'm aware of. The motor we had first was so slow, we had Fred check it and he agreed it was underperforming. The replacement was better. The Kevin Nino team had their motor go South on them and you could see it in their lap times.

As far as irregularities go, the ones I saw were probably due to those teams not reading the rules. Both were in violation of rule 10 as I understood it. One team was using a highly modified Tamiya "quick release" battery holder and another was using a velcro strap contraption to make their battery changes much quicker. This probably "saved" them 10 to 15 laps. We used the standard kit battery holders and a clip as the rules seemed to require.

You're right tho, there should have been a pre race tech.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
Actually, O, we do agree. The motors were very close in performance----much closer than if we had used Silvercans. ...

Rodger Dodger Wilco!!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

It's odd that Novak would have any issues powering the little mini's around for a few hours.
They have a reputation for being quite reliable ?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

End of six hours straight from the track.. Motor temp <120 deg F... im surprised anyone had issues.. very odd indeed..
Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
It's odd that Novak would have any issues powering the little mini's around for a few hours.
They have a reputation for being quite reliable ?
It may sound odd, but several teams did have problems. Other than the two mentioned in a previous post, the Road Runners team had a motor lock up. All things considered tho, there were few reliability issues compared to previous years. For example, there weren't any gear box failures compared to previous years where there were many. Conventional wisdom attributes this to low motor temps.

Frankly, the Novak systems we used were very reliable and Novak should be commended. Also, it should be considered that the systems were received at and installed at the event. Not what I would consider to be optimum circumstances. It was a bit of a thrash to get them installed for some teams who had little or no experience with brushless motors. We didn't even know until we received the units, what they would be.

I'm still a die hard Silvercan racer, but am less fearful about running brushless.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Default Temperature is the enemy

Originally Posted by OSherman
End of six hours straight from the track.. Motor temp <120 deg F... im surprised anyone had issues.. very odd indeed..
Glad to hear overall impression of BL's on the Minis was positive. Can I ask, what speedo Novak loaned out? Anybody happen to temp. those? And, did anyone mess with the timing rings?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Glad to hear overall impression of BL's on the Minis was positive. Can I ask, what speedo Novak loaned out? Anybody happen to temp. those? And, did anyone mess with the timing rings?
Try water dipping them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.