Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree824Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by izzyracer

Kevin, I was really hoping they would give you the win and you did in my book, good luck next regionals!
+2
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamstrc
2 heats of GT-1, Steve
that is alot better than having 1 person sign up like at Nats
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JasonC
that is alot better than having 1 person sign up like at Nats
ya, come out it was a really good race, and everyone was pretty equal on power
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Steve, good to see you again man.
As far as the heads up with the 5 quick lap thing goes, there were a bunch of us holding up if the traffic wasn't ideal.
It paid off for lots of guys and may have hurt others.

I was able to run pretty much all out for the whole 5 minutes in both heats just due to the traffic around me.

I held up at the start in the first heat cuz I was car #11 on the grid so I was able to let the field go and then took off with a clear track a few seconds later although even with the bunch gone, they still piled up on the first lap.
That worked out to my advantage too cuz they were still scrambling when I reached em and I was able to get thru it pretty cleanly.

I had a fast guy chasing me (Anthony Fung) for the whole 5 min. in the second heat and traffic was perfect since we started the heat up front.

Although I did win both qualifiers as far as heads up for 5 minutes, I was only TQ after the first round then slid to #3 after the second.
The top 3 were separated by less than .1 second and #2 and #3 were .001 sec. Those were after the fastest 5 averages kicked in.

So yeh, there was some waiting for clear track going on cuz there were faster lap times than I laid down by several racers but we were all super close.

Also, Fred did announce from the booth that the top 2 would now be checked "within" 10 minutes and not "after" 10 minutes which is what we all understood was gonna be the case and is how most of us had been checkin our motors.
That 10 minutes was the key and it seems the interpretation got changed although I have no idea what some of the motors may have shown "after".
My motor was the +20 (yep) RPM and was allowed a second test "within" 10 minutes and it passed the smog test.
Felt pretty fair to me whether it would have passed or not cuz the effort to be fair within the rules was applied by the tech crew, thanks.
Yeh, I'd have bummed out with a fail verdict tho.

Last edited by F N CUDA; 01-17-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up Season kickoff..

Another fun event in the books.. TAMIYA delivered an interesting day of racing as usual..

Qualifying: i love the heads up starts. YAAY!!

Five average, uhmm, i dont really know what to think about it just yet.

Thanks for the kind words Kevin Cole. I love nothing more than a fair clean race. Try my best not to serve up 'take out'.

Serpent Gordo. That session we had in the mains will go down in my handfull of most memorable ones.. just wish we could have taken it to timmy

Spec tires.. they do work a lil different than what i usually prepare. but hey, they worked really well for a lot of people.. one set for all of RaceDay.

SilverCan rules. dont know what to think of them personally.. i have no clue how to do any voodoo.. alll of my motors starting thru the weeekend had no voodoo done to them previously, and out of six motors, half were legal, two were borderline, one was a tad over.. i asked for assistance to help my turds, and the upon assistance my motors did not 'react' to the trickery (did not gain much performance). Threw in one that was over, it was a turd on track.. threw in a turd, it was a heavy contendor. go figure..

to build or not to build the M06Pro?.. that is the question

Thanks Fred and Tamiya crew for running a tight ship.. Good to see the Tech guys keeping a watchful eye out..
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Ran my first TCS race yesterday, qualified 9th of 10 in the GT-1 A-main. Finished 5th. Had a blast!

Please, please, please add another brushless class! Was a little bored being at the track for 10 hours to run three heats. Don't really want to get into silver can BS.

Steve Brooks
Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Default That's gratitude for ya

FMW and all the Tamiya gang: thanks for a great show, a great programme and us getting done before dark!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Default Comment on looks

Originally Posted by teamstrc
Body rules: this was great as we saw a variety of bodies being used in all classes....however the FWD class need some better looking bodies than the ones from the 90s because for the most part, they really didn't look all that great on the track compare to what we see now in GT-2 and GT-1
Steve, wow! So harsh!. Whose car were you looking at? Mine?
Yeah, admittedly it looks sort of like a Vintage or museum event from BTCC or Euro Touring in the 90's, but hey, the cars all looked great. I commented to several how cool it was that we had so many different cars. In the A-Main in FF, we had several Peugeots (and different ones, too, a 306 and several 406's), an Alfa that won, a Civic, a Volvo, several Acura/Honda Integras, and a Toyota Exiv. It was really nice that we had lots of different cars, instead of a grid of NSX's and one Ferrari as in years past. Don't get me wrong, my closet's got about 5 NSX's in it, everyone know's I'm a Honda whore, and will be angling to get the new Civic body. But we've had to wait for the market to catch up on bodies, and until it does, it's still a great looking class of cars.
Comment on tires: the B3's are holding up well on the FF's. Tire wear on the rears is almost non-existent, and one set holds up just fine for a day's racing. Agree with RtypeC (thanks again for all the help this week, mate): since I hit stuff, I had to reglue the beads. If you don't hit stuff you won't have to reglue them. The rims look good sitting still and moving.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Another great day of Racing at Tamiya!!

Thanks to all the hard work from the Tamiya people - my crew had a great time. Only wish we could do it more often

I give the spec tires and new silver can motor rules a thumbs up - less work - more racing - and good racing at that

Looking forward to the rest of the season
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

so glen burnie has lost their TCS race to frederick? true or bunk?

R
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default Getting carried away

A thanks to these in the photo and a lot of others for all their help and support this weekend. As you can see from one of the photos, sometimes the spirit of competition and the emotions of the day run over.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-p1000503.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-p1000505.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tsquare
Another great day of Racing at Tamiya!!

Thanks to all the hard work from the Tamiya people - my crew had a great time. Only wish we could do it more often

I give the spec tires and new silver can motor rules a thumbs up - less work - more racing - and good racing at that

Looking forward to the rest of the season
I know we just finished here less than 24 hours ago but I do remember Fred saying he'd like to try to do "Fun Races" monthly at Tamiya Aliso.
Not sure if he was talking about the months leading up to the TCS season or if he was thinking about off months at Tamiya Aliso.

I'll bet with the help from some of the awesome locals here it could easily be pulled off, even if it's not every month.

Spec tires, test new brushless combo ideas etc... Tamiya may like that idea.
Keep most of the same rules, minor teching with, again, help from locals etc.
Kind of a mini (not those minis) Regional theme.

I'm already Jonesing, this stuff is just too much fun and the facility is just too nice not to make the most of it.

Of course free practice Saturdays are awesome.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tom Slick
Steve, wow! So harsh!. Whose car were you looking at? Mine?
Yeah, admittedly it looks sort of like a Vintage or museum event from BTCC or Euro Touring in the 90's, but hey, the cars all looked great. I commented to several how cool it was that we had so many different cars. In the A-Main in FF, we had several Peugeots (and different ones, too, a 306 and several 406's), an Alfa that won, a Civic, a Volvo, several Acura/Honda Integras, and a Toyota Exiv. It was really nice that we had lots of different cars, instead of a grid of NSX's and one Ferrari as in years past. Don't get me wrong, my closet's got about 5 NSX's in it, everyone know's I'm a Honda whore, and will be angling to get the new Civic body. But we've had to wait for the market to catch up on bodies, and until it does, it's still a great looking class of cars.
Comment on tires: the B3's are holding up well on the FF's. Tire wear on the rears is almost non-existent, and one set holds up just fine for a day's racing. Agree with RtypeC (thanks again for all the help this week, mate): since I hit stuff, I had to reglue the beads. If you don't hit stuff you won't have to reglue them. The rims look good sitting still and moving.
Actually, yours, Rods and Kevins all looked great, but what I was referring to is hopefully we'll see more current models of body for FF03, because then I might be able to recognize some of them Harsh words? nah, after years of just saying "good Job Tamiya, great TCS event" after each TCS round for the past 10 years, I like to start giving out "constructive comments" on a regular basis now
Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Steve, good to see you again man.
As far as the heads up with the 5 quick lap thing goes, there were a bunch of us holding up if the traffic wasn't ideal.
It paid off for lots of guys and may have hurt others.

I was able to run pretty much all out for the whole 5 minutes in both heats just due to the traffic around me.

I held up at the start in the first heat cuz I was car #11 on the grid so I was able to let the field go and then took off with a clear track a few seconds later although even with the bunch gone, they still piled up on the first lap.
That worked out to my advantage too cuz they were still scrambling when I reached em and I was able to get thru it pretty cleanly.

I had a fast guy chasing me (Anthony Fung) for the whole 5 min. in the second heat and traffic was perfect since we started the heat up front.

Although I did win both qualifiers as far as heads up for 5 minutes, I was only TQ after the first round then slid to #3 after the second.
The top 3 were separated by less than .1 second and #2 and #3 were .001 sec. Those were after the fastest 5 averages kicked in.

So yeh, there was some waiting for clear track going on cuz there were faster lap times than I laid down by several racers but we were all super close.

Also, Fred did announce from the booth that the top 2 would now be checked "within" 10 minutes and not "after" 10 minutes which is what we all understood was gonna be the case and is how most of us had been checkin our motors.
That 10 minutes was the key and it seems the interpretation got changed although I have no idea what some of the motors may have shown "after".
My motor was the +20 (yep) RPM and was allowed a second test "within" 10 minutes and it passed the smog test.
Felt pretty fair to me whether it would have passed or not cuz the effort to be fair within the rules was applied by the tech crew, thanks.
Yeh, I'd have bummed out with a fail verdict tho.
Likewise cuda, hopefully I'll see you on the 'dirty' side of r/c soon yeah, if I was DQed over 20rpm over...I would have vowed to have never returned....but that's just me
Old 01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Thanks Rod for the video. Was still as painful to watch as when it happened. Even Fred couldn't describe. I was taught a whole new meaning of the term "drive through". At least Orlando proved once again he is clean to battle with in tight quarters on that first lap. Looking forward to running with you Rodzilla and Orlando again next time.
oh my what brake?? u r the brake.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.