Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hope the track was good to you today, I won't be able to make it tomorrow. Too much SNOW!
Good luck to all those racing. I will be think of you all when I am slaving away working hard. Damn I wish I could be there for the first race of the season.
OH well, someone please post results tomorrow night. Have fun and remember, Toy Cars, Bowling Trophies....
Old 01-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Hope the track was good to you today, I won't be able to make it tomorrow. Too much SNOW!
Good luck to all those racing. I will be think of you all when I am slaving away working hard. Damn I wish I could be there for the first race of the season.
OH well, someone please post results tomorrow night. Have fun and remember, Toy Cars, Bowling Trophies....
Marty,

just for you my friend, I will be thinking of you every time I step on the driverstand, and I will yell "For Marty who is stuck in the snow and working away!!!!!".......ok, maybe not But look forward to seeing you later on this year (hope you guys make it out)

Steve
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Any feed back on the spec tire ?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JasonC
Any feed back on the spec tire ?
The tires are glued well and run out nicely balanced/round. If you don't crash, you won't have to re-glue the side walls In my opinion at the Tamiya track, they have slightly less overall grip compared to tires mounted with a MuchMore Pink insert because of the Tamiya medium insert with less air gap than the Pinks. When the tires warm up, they are okay. Tire wear is slightly more than the Pinks.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 2011 TCS FWD A-Main Video

Hi All,

Here's a video from the FWD A-Main. Camera work is a little shakey due to Rockstar

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Great Weekend in racing at the Tamiya Track.

Weather was great around 78-80 degrees in January.

Thanks to Speedtech crew for all their help for the racers and myself. Thanks to Steve W. for the fun times.

See you guys at the next race.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Results?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Results?
Swifty, just for you.

Monaghan by a mile.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rtypec
Hi All,

Here's a video from the FWD A-Main. Camera work is a little shakey due to Rockstar

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Thanks Rod for the video. Was still as painful to watch as when it happened. Even Fred couldn't describe. I was taught a whole new meaning of the term "drive through". At least Orlando proved once again he is clean to battle with in tight quarters on that first lap. Looking forward to running with you Rodzilla and Orlando again next time.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Swifty, just for you.

Monaghan by a mile.
Let me guess fred didnt check rpm limits after the mains? I was actually wondering
Who won gt2 and fwd also how was f1 gt 1 ? Motor rules? Qualifying how was the new
Format sounds so far like everyone had fun thats whats most
Important.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Let me guess fred didnt check rpm limits after the mains? I was actually wondering
Who won gt2 and fwd also how was f1 gt 1 ? Motor rules? Qualifying how was the new
Format sounds so far like everyone had fun thats whats most
Important.
RPM limits enforced, top 2 finishers.
Rumor has it that a 17,560 failed. Racer was cool with that, class act.

Another racer that was very concerned with the rules had em backfire.

F1 was fun.
I TQ'd 1st round then got bumped back to 3rd next round.
Best 5 fast lap qualifying was pretty cool.

F1:

1st - Sean Wu (sp)

2nd - Me,'cuda

3rd - Anthony Fung

FWD results in video above.

Mini was Michael M., the rest I'm not sure.

GT2 Kevin Smith, rest?

Spaced out on GT1, watched and forgot results but it was between Christian, Timmy and Orlando. Order?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Tech Master

Hey K.smith,

again, I remind you, you are NOT the chosen one but good run in the main, I believe you earned it, so in my book, you're the winner.

So....here are my thoughts on the opening round of TCS season (not that its even worth 2 cents, but here goes):

5 lap average: I'm still up in the air about this because most of what I saw, everyone just run heads up race. No one tried to really pulled over, gap the field and try to crank 5 fast ones (a la F1 style) so pretty much everyone just raced heads up for 5 minute, side by side and rubbin doors. The print out we had did not rank by avg. 5 fast laps, so you had to manually figure out where you are (if that's important to you) I believe it will require a completely different set of strategies if you want to take advantage of this new qualifying format. Eventually someone will figure out how to squeeze the car/battery/body/motor/tires for a good 6-7 laps and that's all its good for (but that's all you need) and definitely this format does not reward consistency, I would have been 5th on the grid by 5 minute format, but ended up 8th with the 5 lap average...however, in the world of GT-2, the distance on the grid from 8th to 1st feels like a mile long (5th to 1st will be about half a mile )

17,500 rpm limit: it was actually teched and a few were over (I don't want to say they got caught because that sounds like they are trying to cheat, and I really don't think they were trying to cheat at all). But seriously I think there should be a +/- buffer in there, so lets say anything in the 17,500 should be legal (like 17,560 or 17,520, as long as it starts with a "17,5**)...I really think these motors have a mind of their own and there are quite a bit of variables beyond the average racer's control. For example, easily the ambient temperature change from beginning of the day to the end of the day with the tech's MuchMore motor checker baking on the table could have given a different reading by...oh, 60 rpm or so, or maybe 20 rpm. Throughout the day, guys were diligently checking before and after their runs (you can hear it all in the pits) so I believe all efforts were more along the lines of trying to stay within the limit rather than pushing the limit. However, because of ambient temperature change, there could be slightly different reading in tech and sometimes for some reason, motors just don't behave the same (and this is just one variable). I think there should be a +/- % built in the rule so that you can stay within the range of. If I know how to tune these silvers (which I don't), I would built in a lot of torque and gear it to the moon, this way you'll always be legal, but you will have bottom (torque from motor) and top end (gearing). I really don't think just a rpm rule will really 'even' out the playing field in this class as it was intended to do...for the record, my motor was 18,200+ and it did me absolutely no good

Body rules: this was great as we saw a variety of bodies being used in all classes....however the FWD class need some better looking bodies than the ones from the 90s because for the most part, they really didn't look all that great on the track compare to what we see now in GT-2 and GT-1

GT-1 ESC: If TCS want the population of this class to increase then please just used the ROAR approved non-timing ESC list, because the TCS rules now requires guys to buy ESC that most don't have and probably useless everywhere else. If we used the ROAR list, all of us at least still have one old brushless ESC laying around that would be legal for this class (I know I have a KO non-timing that I could have thrown in and ran) if it's good enough for ROAR, it should be good enough for you (TCS)

B3 Spec Tires: Thumbs up! No more gluing (two thumbs up), and because its spec tires, I cut down one box to carry to the track that's usually filled with inserts, rims, B3 and type A tires...the wear on these seems a tad faster than ones you glue up yourself though. 1 set of B3 tires is good all day (2 qual, 1 main) in GT-2 and but they are done now

Overall attendance: Where is everyone? 12 heats with probably 70 racers there? com'on, this is the opening round of the 2011 TCS series...you know, you've been waiting all winter for??? 3 heats of GT-2, 2 heats of GT-1, 1.5 heat of FWD (1.5 = 15 guys), 1 heat of F1 (sad), 3 heats of mini, 1 heat of spec rookie......I guess gone are the days of 20+ heat for TCS and running in the dark?

Weather: most awesome sunny southern cali weather you can ask for.

Tamiya Crew: awesome as always, and nice to catch up with old friends.

I'm done, Goodnight all!

Steve
Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Thanks Rod for the video. Was still as painful to watch as when it happened. Even Fred couldn't describe. I was taught a whole new meaning of the term "drive through". At least Orlando proved once again he is clean to battle with in tight quarters on that first lap. Looking forward to running with you Rodzilla and Orlando again next time.
WOW! Just WOW! I was watching this main but I'm not sure how I miss that "local take out" at turn one on Kevin that should have been a stop-n-go, or at least the racer should have the sportsmanship to wait until you get going and then go again, not just keep going. I hope there was at least an apology afterwards and that you guys are still friends
Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Regarding Kevin's GT2 win!

The motor rule states:
Tamiya 540-J Johnson motor, item 53689. 17,500 RPM limit. Measured once only, 10 minutes after the race heat or main, using the Tamiya, Much More or Peak motor checker in step mode (7.2V) for 22 seconds.

I was following this rule during my testing and not dyno'ing immediately after the race which what Fred announce at the stand when he decided to check the winner's motors. I looked it up as soon as I got home because I got a (HUH?) when Fred announce the testing immediately rule which I thought at the time was not entirely correct, but did not question it.

With My motors and Kevin's, we were within the 17500 every time on a peak racing motor checker after cleaning, and base on my results checking after 10 min of run, the RPM would drop by a 200+ margin, which what I was hoping for as outcome which will/should put him on the legal limit. Obviously, however they did the actual "immediately" test did not reflect that.

And as far as my "tuning" goes... I was basically keeping his comm and motor clean, nothing fancy since I don't really know any of that stuff. Just learned to keep things clean from the TAOB crew.

Is the rule fair? I don't know, For me running Johnson's motor is always a draw of luck, that's why I'm a true believer of one brand brushless systems.

What I believe was the sudden slight rule change took it away from the guys talent and skills. It takes a lot more that a fast motor to win, and no cheating was intended, as you all know that is my pet-peeve. To the contrary the intention was to maximize RPM to compete within the rules.

Kevin, I was really hoping they would give you the win and you did in my book, good luck next regionals!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by izzyracer
The motor rule states:
Tamiya 540-J Johnson motor, item 53689. 17,500 RPM limit. Measured once only, 10 minutes after the race heat or main, using the Tamiya, Much More or Peak motor checker in step mode (7.2V) for 22 seconds.

I was following this rule during my testing and not dyno'ing immediately after the race which what Fred announce at the stand when he decided to check the winner's motors. I looked it up as soon as I got home because I got a (HUH?) when Fred announce the testing immediately rule which I thought at the time was not entirely correct, but did not question it.

With My motors and Kevin's, we were within the 17500 every time on a peak racing motor checker after cleaning, and base on my results checking after 10 min of run, the RPM would drop by a 200+ margin, which what I was hoping for as outcome which will/should put him on the legal limit. Obviously, however they did the actual "immediately" test did not reflect that.

And as far as my "tuning" goes... I was basically keeping his comm and motor clean, nothing fancy since I don't really know any of that stuff. Just learned to keep things clean from the TAOB crew.

Is the rule fair? I don't know, For me running Johnson's motor is always a draw of luck, that's why I'm a true believer of one brand brushless systems.

What I believe was the sudden slight rule change took it away from the guys talent and skills. It takes a lot more that a fast motor to win, and no cheating was intended, as you all know that is my pet-peeve. To the contrary the intention was to maximize RPM to compete within the rules.

Kevin, I was really hoping they would give you the win and you did in my book, good luck next regionals!
I believe this is going to be rare between me and Izzy, but I have to agree. Kevin smith should have gotten the win

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.