Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Heads up start and fastest 5 laps may not be the hot ticket together.

In our Ultimate F1 qualifying we start IFMAR style and take fastest single lap, guys always give plenty of room for quicker or slower cars.

Fastest 5 laps would probably work out the same.

IFMAR style start would be a benefit although not crucial.

We have even gone as far as to just tell the racers that the clock starts in x minutes then notify again when the clock is live for the next x (5) minutes and let em run it out.

Having the lap times called constantly thru out the heat is also very helpful as well as exciting!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maxepower
I don't have a problem with heads up starting as long as it's not based on what place you finished in your heat. If it's only the 5 fastest laps in 5 minutes. This way it shouldn't matter if you got the pick of the draw in the 10th spot which can be a disadvantage.
Your first lap won't be pretty having to go around the slower cars in front of you, so front positions will still have an advantage from the beginning.
Don't forget that your 5 fastest laps will most likely be early in the run because the battery will be at maximum charge.
For example in Japan, using the 1 fastest lap qualifying, racers would actually slow down to put space between the cars in front of them, just before they crossed the start finish line they gunned it and tried to do their fastest lap before the battery started to drop as the race went on! Not to say your 5 fastest laps can't be towards the end of the run but a fully charge battery in the beginning is more likely to be the norm once the qualifying is done!
I hope this all makes sense to you Fred!!!
This could make quaifying a bit strange seeing cars slow down than speed up, then slow down again to put space between each other.
Very strange!!!!
Like I said just my 2$
I don't know Max. I have enough trouble with the driving part. If you add thinking on top of driving, there's going to be a ton of people in trouble. I think it'll be mo betta to hang it all out for 5 min. and hope there's 5 good laps in there somewhere.

Also to the thinkers in my heat, don't slow down if you're ahead of me on the track, cause I'm going to be out there driving at 11 tenths. There could be a helluva wreck.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Heads up with five fastest laps is my choice.

1.) IFMAR starts take longer to run each round. We will be battling loss of light (good call Fred).

2.) Five fastest laps. If you go by race, like Max said, the guy starting 10th in round one is at a disadvantage if you resort by total lap times for round 2 compared to the guy starting on the pole who has a clean track ahead (if he doesn't crash and throw the advantage away).

3.) You can use the cars around you if in a good pack to push yourself or if you get tied up behind someone blocking (either they don't know better or are doing on purpose), you just pull over and build a gap.

4.) The advantage for all to "practice" heads up starts and learn to make it clean through the first lap but if that doesn't happen, one or more peoples qualifying run is not ruined.

5.) Hopefully you can call out the top five qualifers after the first few minutes like you do after the first few laps in IFMAR qualifying. Always a little more motivation if you know you are in that top five and need to push just a little harder.

In the Ultimate F1 Series presented by Charles Lightfoot (yes, a shameless plug for a friend keeping a fun series going), we do single fastest lap and you would be amazed how polite most people are in qualifying becaue if someone is a little faster than you, you don't mind pulling wide and letting them by. And if they are quicker, gives you a chance to push yourself to keep up and run fast but not take each other out. If you get caught behind slower cars, even on a tight track, you just pull up and give yourself a gap rather than try a bonzai pass that could take mutiple cars out.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Good point Kevin, IFMAR takes time to get each heat started.

Heads up and take the best 5.

I'm all in for that.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
I don't know Max. I have enough trouble with the driving part. If you add thinking on top of driving, there's going to be a ton of people in trouble. I think it'll be mo betta to hang it all out for 5 min. and hope there's 5 good laps in there somewhere.
Ha, that's what I was thinking (or was I?) Either way, gonna be a fun weekend!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I would say since the race is already upon us this weekend, either go with traditional IFMAR or heads up start and use the qualifying time of a 5 minute run. Save the fast 5 lap concept for a fun race or something to try out...no need to have a bunch of wrecks or confused people at the first TCS race of the year

Steve
Old 01-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Heads up will definitely be fun, but it looked like the email sent out mentioned counting the fastest single lap only. If we do heads up--- we should make all laps count --- All out racing - Should be fun. Max, no crying wolf at the stand -- it's all unintentional.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool Don't Start Now!

Originally Posted by izzyracer
Heads up will definitely be fun, but it looked like the email sent out mentioned counting the fastest single lap only. If we do heads up--- we should make all laps count --- All out racing - Should be fun. Max, no crying wolf at the stand -- it's all unintentional.
Please Izzy, just don't take me out and there we be no crying wolf!
Better yet maybe I'll ask Fred to put us in different heats!
Don't forget it's a lot easier to hit someone from behind then to pass cleanly. It takes practice and skill so I know you can do it just don't get caught up in the moment and you will do fine!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs down

Please Izzy, just don't take me out and there we be no crying wolf!
Better yet maybe I'll ask Fred to put us in different heats!
don't do that, I cherish racing with you... I'll do my best not to hit anyone, I always thought of myself as a clean driver, proud of it. Just make sure you have video for evidence before crying wolf or I'll file a suit for defamation (I had to look up the word defamation - no college + ESL) .

Just a reminder... No cutting your lexan bodies beyond the trim line... not naming anyone and I'm not watering down the competition.

...and for those FWD drivers who still have an aftermarket idle gear in there box.. That's a no no... I'm just saying.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

Izzy areyou going to run gt1. Timmy wants to run but we have no legal esc.
Anybody want to let us borrow a legal brusless esc for this weekend?
Let me know asap!
Thanks in advance!
Anybody?
Anybody?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Let me know asap!
Thanks in advance!
Anybody?
Anybody?
That's the plan.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by izzyracer
That's the plan.
WHAT? I thought you were running GT-2....now how are you going to race against each other?

Ok, so I'm in the same boat as Max/Timmy now, need to borrow a legal system for GT-1 (note it will be in a TB03 )

Steve
Old 01-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Heads up please... i need to practice my dodge-ball skills.

Last edited by OSherman; 01-13-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
For any TCS GT1 hopefuls in the SanDiego area.. My LHS TotalControlHobbies has five (5) 17.5 Combos sitting on the shelf.. A lil more expensive than what you find at online shops, but hey they have em.. They had six.
Let me know asap!
Thanks in advance!
Anybody?
Anybody?
Originally Posted by teamstrc
WHAT? I thought you were running GT-2....now how are you going to race against each other?

Ok, so I'm in the same boat as Max/Timmy now, need to borrow a legal system for GT-1 (note it will be in a TB03 )

Steve
i can bring two (Cirtix Combos) if you want to commit to purchase.. PM me for price..
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OSherman
i can bring two (Cirtix Combos) if you want to commit to purchase.. PM me for price..
TWO? WOW! "Mr. When I Figure it out I will let you know", do you have the SP Multi ESC Program Box? - can you bring it to borrow, so I have 100% breaking, 50% will not be enough when I'm behind Steve's car butt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.