Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Just thought I'd do an update on a post I did after spending an afternoon testing a number of racers Silvercans a couple of weeks ago. There were a number of motors with the new CS brushes and they were from the batch at the Nationals. After reading Doc Mertes' post on these motors, I began to believe that, perhaps, these motors were not up to snuff. Especially since there were a few of the motors that were much better than the others. The motor I had for the Main tested at 15,600. Max's motor was not too much better.

Just completed another test on two motors a few minutes ago. I apologize for the small sample, but these were motors I purchased to run at the upcoming Regional. Again this is FYI and I'm not suggesting anything, advocating anything, or bitching about anything. Just posting the results and what you deduce or what conclusions you come to are strictly your own.

These were the conditions of the test. Both motors went straight from the box into one of my Minis and several batteries were run. Neither one had more than 5 runs. The brushes were not close to being seated. One tested at 17,490 and the other at 17,360. I bench ran the motors an additional 10 min or so and cleaned the comms using Doc's com drop method of cleaning. Both motors tested several hundred rpm faster than the 17.5k rpm limit. Again, I was reminded of Bill Bendix and his famous quote, but most of you are much too young to remember him.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Again, I was reminded of Bill Bendix and his famous quote, but most of you are much too young to remember him.
"I've had a long, varied, pleasant, eventful career. I don't hate anybody and I don't have any bitter thoughts. I started out without any advantages, but I've been lucky and successful and I've had fun."

?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stitchy
"I've had a long, varied, pleasant, eventful career. I don't hate anybody and I don't have any bitter thoughts. I started out without any advantages, but I've been lucky and successful and I've had fun."

?

That's a marvelous quote, but the one I was thinking of came from his TV series. I believe it was called "The Life of Reilly". It goes "What a revoltin' development this is". No one said it better and it made me laugh every time I heard it.

Sort of sums up TCS rules sometimes. This is not a complaint, just an observation. I know that Fred is "gruntin'" on the rules harder than a guy with a 3 day case of constipation sitting on the john. Some times tho, the law of inintended consequences is going to bite you in the ass. He's got a tough job and does a good job, so I'm just not going to "bitch about it
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

TERMS OF ENTRY:
The Tamiya Championship Series is an amateur racing event. "Factory Team" drivers (drivers who are, or have ever been, employed or supported by a factory, manufacture or distributor as part of a factory racing team) are not allowed to compete. It is understood that the definition of a "Factory Team Driver" includes drivers that receive or have received sponsorship entailing a monthly salary from a factory/manufacture and received paid airfare/accommodations to racing events. Currently "Sponsored" drivers are also not allowed to compete in TCS events. It is understood that "Sponsored" drivers are people who receive some kind of discount to run an R/C manufactures product for the purpose of promoting and exposing their brand. By accepting the "Terms of Entry", you're acknowledging that you are not a "Factory Team" or "sponsored" participant. Failure to properly disclose your status will result in your disqualification at the TCS event.

Not pointing fingers or anything like that.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Guess we better not clean em, just to be safe.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by izzyracer
TERMS OF ENTRY:
The Tamiya Championship Series is an amateur racing event. "Factory Team" drivers (drivers who are, or have ever been, employed or supported by a factory, manufacture or distributor as part of a factory racing team) are not allowed to compete. It is understood that the definition of a "Factory Team Driver" includes drivers that receive or have received sponsorship entailing a monthly salary from a factory/manufacture and received paid airfare/accommodations to racing events. Currently "Sponsored" drivers are also not allowed to compete in TCS events. It is understood that "Sponsored" drivers are people who receive some kind of discount to run an R/C manufactures product for the purpose of promoting and exposing their brand. By accepting the "Terms of Entry", you're acknowledging that you are not a "Factory Team" or "sponsored" participant. Failure to properly disclose your status will result in your disqualification at the TCS event.

Not pointing fingers or anything like that.
Again?
Just tell us who you are talking about.
Same post every race.

We all get a discount coupon from Tamiya which gives us discounts so we will buy their products and that will help promote their products.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Again?
Just tell us who you are talking about.
Same post every race.

We all get a discount coupon from Tamiya which gives us discounts so we will buy their products and that will help promote their products.
AGAIN???? OH PLEEEAAAASSSEE! aren't the arguments here all repetitions anyway?
Since you don't fully understand what was stated by Tamiya. Let me try if a guy who learned english as a second language can clarify it for you. Are you sponsored by Tamiya or another manufacturer Kuda? Are you openly wearing there shirt and declaring or was declared by Tamiya or any other manufacturer as such? Are you racing RC because you are getting discounts and openly promoting a product? Then you should not participate then... if not... move on!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think I'm out?

or maybe not?

I'm just a washed up "never was" lol, so can I run?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

AGAIN???? OH PLEEEAAAASSSEE! aren't the arguments here all repetitions anyway?
Since you don't fully understand what was stated by Tamiya. Let me try if a guy who learned english as a second language can clarify it for you. Are you sponsored by Tamiya or another manufacturer Kuda? Are you openly wearing there shirt and declaring or was declared by Tamiya or any other manufacturer as such? Are you racing RC because you are getting discounts and openly promoting a product? Then you should not participate then... if not... move on!
Did I miss something? Seems as tho T shirt wearing guys aren't Factory Sponsored Professional Drivers.
Do you have a different list of rules?
Here's what is on Tamiya's page that comes up for rules.

Note:
Full factory sponsored and professional drivers should read below, as they are not eligible to
participate in the TCS series.
“Factory Team” drivers (drivers who are, or have ever been, employed or supported by a
factory, manufacture or distributor as part of a factory racing team) are not allowed to
compete. This includes drivers that received sponsorship entailing a monthly salary from a
factory/manufacture and received paid airfare/accommodations to racing events. The host site
will determine who those factory and sponsored racers are. If the host site deems it
necessary, they may also bar those drivers who receive partial sponsorship. It is further at the
discretion of the host site to determine which racers fall under the criteria and definition of
factory/sponsored driver. Tamiya America cannot possibly know every individuals claims of
being a sponsored or factory driver and therefore needs the judgment and discretion of the
host site to weed out the factory/sponsored driver that does not meet the average hobbyist
criteria.
Host sites must be careful not to confuse racers who get a deal from their friends that are
employed or work for “motors R us” or get a discount at their local hobby shop. There will
always be racers/hobbyists that will try and get a deal of some kind. Tamiya America strives
for balanced conditions wherever possible.
An example of a racer that Tamiya America would not allow to compete would be the Ryan
Lutz’s and David Jun’s of the RC industry. These types of drivers are clearly supported by a
factory and would not be eligible to compete as Tamiya America supports their racing careers
in all of the above mentioned points.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Leester
"You DON'T do that by being exclusive, or requiring expensive additional equipment or weird wind motors that the typical club racer will use only once each year. You do that by accepting certain norms (e.g. How It's Done Here In The USA) and trying to align your series as much as possible with Stuff That People Already Own- especially during an economic downturn like the one we are experiencing."
Doc, While I certainly see your point, I think a nerve might have been hit and there might be a bit of bias being introduced with your reply. You are a Silver Can after market supplier. The last time I checked a RED Dot Motor cost $45.00. The Tamiya 32 Turn Motor can be purchased for as little as $24.00. I hardly think this alternative is "expensive". In fact, if you take in consideration the cost of a set of replacement brushes versus another silver can (even if it's not yours) the budget racer would be better served with this alternative.
With the possible exception to my comment about including spec gearing, I'm not quite sure how this changes anything in terms of how the TCS Series is currently being run. While I'm sure my comments will have no affect on how this years TCS series is run, I hope that my logic can be understood and considered in the future. When in Rome.....
It is unfortunate that you don't share the same dreams that many TCS participants have about going to race in Japan. I think you're selling a lot of people short, even though the realities are that very few of us will ever realize this dream. Heck, I can think of a couple of old timers (sorry Mr S Hickman) who still hold on to a very important goal in their racing part of their lives and that is to go to race in the TCS World's! Craig Hammond and Steve, almost did it last year in F1 and Oliver Clipper almost did it in GT2 in 2009! Dreams in spite of your age keep the fun in the sport and the reason to continue participation with purpose and enthusiasm!
Despite my disability (Autism), I never lost site of my dream to make it to Japan to race at the TCS World's. My parents have always supported me and my goals. It took me 13 years to accomplish my goal (my dream). If I can do it, ANYONE can if they invest the time and effort.
That's what is so great about the TCS Series. It gives the everyday average racer an opportunity to achieve something that is realistically unachievable anywhere else. I encourage all of you who participate in the TCS, keep trying! Most of the fun is in the journey. Here's to the journey!![/QUOTE]

Lee,
Thank you! yes this has been my goal since 1992. I have been to every TCS National event @ Aliso except 2003 when i was admitted into the Hospital for a Blood Clot in my Leg. I was offering my Docs and Nurses my Air miles if they would let me out to race unfortunately my Brother put the "kibosh" on that move?? As you know Bruce and I grew up there in OC and had lived there since 1958! heck I remember when South Coast Plaza was a Bean Field! and the 405 stopped in Long Beach and you had to take the PCH to get to San Diego?
The TCS Series has been my opinion the "Coolest" competitive racing that I have participated in RC Racing and I started in 1978 @ Briggs Cunningham Auto Museum in Costa Mesa in Mr. Cunningham's parking lot!
Last year was a treat racing with Craig and Danny in F1, that was exciting and very competitive but just clean all out to walls "laying it down" Racing
I will keep racing TCS and assisting in promoting the series every race I can and Bruce and I most of the time go to all the races in the USA.
Hell, I will race no matter what the rules finally come to? I do think this years series with the "Silver Cans" will be very competitive racing at all the races especially @ Aliso!
I will have to say Lee, you have become a very articulate and well spoken young man!
See you in Aliso the weekend of 1/14/2011, I will be there for F! and GT2.
Happy New Year!
Steve
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default 2011 TCS RACE #158 ALISO VIEJO ENTRY FORM 1/16/2011

ENTRY FORM POSTED ON THE TAMIYA AMERICA WEBSITE FOR THE 1ST RACE OF 2011
"HERE WE GO"
LET THE SMACK BEGIN!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Did I miss something? Seems as tho T shirt wearing guys aren't Factory Sponsored Professional Drivers.
Do you have a different list of rules?
Here's what is on Tamiya's page that comes up for rules.

Note:
Full factory sponsored and professional drivers should read below, as they are not eligible to
participate in the TCS series.
“Factory Team” drivers (drivers who are, or have ever been, employed or supported by a
factory, manufacture or distributor as part of a factory racing team) are not allowed to
compete. This includes drivers that received sponsorship entailing a monthly salary from a
factory/manufacture and received paid airfare/accommodations to racing events. The host site
will determine who those factory and sponsored racers are. If the host site deems it
necessary, they may also bar those drivers who receive partial sponsorship. It is further at the
discretion of the host site to determine which racers fall under the criteria and definition of
factory/sponsored driver. Tamiya America cannot possibly know every individuals claims of
being a sponsored or factory driver and therefore needs the judgment and discretion of the
host site to weed out the factory/sponsored driver that does not meet the average hobbyist
criteria.
Host sites must be careful not to confuse racers who get a deal from their friends that are
employed or work for “motors R us” or get a discount at their local hobby shop. There will
always be racers/hobbyists that will try and get a deal of some kind. Tamiya America strives
for balanced conditions wherever possible.
An example of a racer that Tamiya America would not allow to compete would be the Ryan
Lutz’s and David Jun’s of the RC industry. These types of drivers are clearly supported by a
factory and would not be eligible to compete as Tamiya America supports their racing careers
in all of the above mentioned points.
Cuda, have you signed up yet? There is a notation there that you have to check off in addition to the rules you mentioned above.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rtypec
I think I'm out?

or maybe not?

I'm just a washed up "never was" lol, so can I run?
Move on R-Type C., get a Tamiya off-road (Avante) and compete for the Tamiya Race Rewards and leave the racing to the Armatures... get it, Armature... ok bad joke, Mwahahahah!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hickmeister
ENTRY FORM POSTED ON THE TAMIYA AMERICA WEBSITE FOR THE 1ST RACE OF 2011
"HERE WE GO"
LET THE SMACK BEGIN!!!
SMACK, SMACK,SMACK SMACK SMACK
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

Cuda, have you signed up yet? There is a notation there that you have to check off in addition to the rules you mentioned above.
Just saw it, I stand corrected.
Changed from the last set of rules.

Reads:

TERMS OF ENTRY:
rev 1.3.11

So who's out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.