Wiki Posts
Search

AMB20 & Laps Free software

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Smile AMB20 & Laps Free software

Any help would be appreciated. i have just bought a 2nd hand AmB20 system and are using the laps free software with it....

What i need help with is how do you assign the transponder to the driver? I have set the loop etc and system is counting laps OK - its just that it's not counting how it should (ie I have set up 4 drivers and i have used 4 transponders).. Quite often im getting unknown car 5 etc scoring the laps and nothing scoring for the listed driver... Sorry i hope that makes sense...

In the manual I cant find anything about assigning transponder. It does have it for new AMBrc system )for personal transponders) but it says in manual not to use that for AMB20....

Im sure if is a no brainer for one of you gurus but any help would be appreciated.

many thanks

Dwayne
Old 08-13-2007, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hi Dwayne,

I'm not familiar with Laps free software but I'll try to help you out.
With a system 20, the transponder number "should" correspond to the racers position in the line up.

1) is the TP that is not counting working at all?
2) are the rest of the TP's to close to the loop (I know on the rc they will pick-up if the rack is to close)
3) is the TP labled correctly? (could #5 have a different number on it?)
Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I was thinking of using laps free as well. I am currently using B&B Autoscore but the laps free looks like it is easier to use. Hope it works well for you.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default AMB20

Ed

Thanks for that..

On Lapsfree you can test transponder and this brings up the transponder number. So the ones i tested were the correct number......

I think the order (ie 1 to 4) could be where I went wrong. I will retest tonight.

I too found out I had rack too close and was getting readings from the rack, but did move this away...

Thanks you for your help..
Dwayne
Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Being that a system 20 is between 8 to 17 years old, the TPs have been repaired/replaced..... who knows how many times. You see used ones in singles and small quantities for sale all the time along with new lables. "If" you didn't make a mistake (hey we all do), my guess would be someone bought a used one and put a 4 lable on it to fill the rack. It could actually be a 5.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Default AMB

Hi Ed

As expected it was software user error....As you correctly pointed out I neeed to have the driver position equal the transponder number..Once I did this I was getting it fine. lapsfree has a transponder tester on it that shows you the transponder number so I made sure that all the numbers on labels were OK......

I also bought a signal checker and the strength signal on some of the transponders are very low....These have had new batteries 8 weeks ago but havent been used. My guess is I just need to cycle the batteries abit..

Thanks for your help....

Dwayne
Old 08-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Maybe,

Give it a shot. I do believe you can over charge the system 20 TP's. I'll get you some more info on them.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default help

I am useing amb rc3 decoder and laps free but I cannot select the amb as the counting method it says its not there but the screen on the box says everything is good and its counting
Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Help please ..

im have Amb20 .. using it with rc timing ...

the problem issue is .. the 10 transponder & rack cannot place near at my laptop & decoder .. coz it will detect all transponder on the race .. so it will interrupt car detection during race running. so i put away 5 to 10 feet from my desk ..

is it normal
Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smilekt
Help please ..

im have Amb20 .. using it with rc timing ...

the problem issue is .. the 10 transponder & rack cannot place near at my laptop & decoder .. coz it will detect all transponder on the race .. so it will interrupt car detection during race running. so i put away 5 to 10 feet from my desk ..

is it normal
Yep.....totally normal.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dieselpower
Yep.....totally normal.
Thank you dieselpower ..
Old 07-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Default amb counting

i just downloaded the laps free program as of right now we have a series of lazer pointers on a vertical bridge beside the race track and as the cars run threw the vertical bridge we have flags on the antennas to break the lazer pointer beam which we have wired into cheap calculators to count laps . What we know is we can wire this into a ten key so this program will count laps in the manual count mode what we are wondering is can we wire this into a serial plug and plug it into the serial port on the laptop and have it read and count laps in the amb mode i have sent an email to laptimeing .com just a few minutes ago but saw this post and thought one of you guys would have an answer and i could just happily run off to radio shack and get started I am also wondering if you guys knew which pin did what lol I know im streching more than a bit here but any help would be apreacieated my spelling is horrible im sorry thank you very much

Kent Williams