Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increasing Race Turnout

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default Increasing Race Turnout

hey i know all you guys have your opinions, so insted of inflicting them on other people, put them to use and lets help get more people to the races so that we can bring this hobby mainstream.

~ZigZag
Old 04-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Help a Newbe succeed.
Racing and R/C in general, can be overwhelming for alot of People and without some experienced help many will get discouraged.

Just my .02
Old 04-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Pops said a mouthful....... Help the newbies and fellow racers whenever possible........It can be overwhelming to try to get around the track......... but to be able to be prepared is even harder....by helping the new guys......... this makes them feel welcomed....and may also help them decide on whether they want to come back or not....
Old 05-01-2003, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

what about getting the track noted, by people that dont race, and how do you get a track to be in the running for a national event to be held there?

~Zig
Old 05-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Old 05-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by ZigZagRC
what about getting the track noted, by people that dont race, and how do you get a track to be in the running for a national event to be held there?

~Zig
A track being chosen for a national event is partially decided by if that track is registered with ROAR and other sanctioning bodies. If you're not registered then they won't consider coming.

And, also helping newbies is good. I raced electric for 4 yrs. and it came easy to me as there wasn't much more than setup to worry about. I transitioned to nitro about a month ago and I would be lying to you if I said nitro didn't test me patience as I continue to try to learn it. Many thanks to popsracer and others willing to help me along.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

I think something that would help people to come back to race is having beer at the track! lol i know its illegal for ROAR tracks, but the snowbirds allowed it...why not just abolish that rule?

~Zig
Old 05-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1. If you have some Pro's around the area invite them to come out of the day.

2. Hold seminars that talk about different cars, suspension, drivetrain, etc.....

3. Introduce people to one another

4. Get a grill and invite people to bring their food and have a cook out.

5. Hold swap meets

6. Have a masters class

7. Have a class where the parents of the childlren who race can try their hand at racing.

8. Change the track layout

9. See if the local hobby shop has a car that new people can rent so that they can try it out first hand.

10. Encourage the youth. If you have a youngster that is doing really well see if the local hobby shop will give out a 10% off coupon thats good for a month and then rotate it through to the next person who is doing well.

11. Keep the track area clean and replace broken material

12. Have a suggestion box

13. Keep the BS trash talking away from the track

14. Remember you can't please everyone (trust me I know) so do the best you can

15. Take some video of the racing and visit a local car club and get them interested. Invite them to the track and have a car show for both the real and the RC cars.

16. Hold a point series and contact Associated, Trinity, Losi, X-Ray, and other companies and ask them for door prizes and such.

Hope this helps,
Mark
Old 05-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for starting this thread ZigZag, its a good one.

Munrath, those are all excellent tips. We are trying desperately to get RC racing's popularity increased in this area.

http://www.fastlanerc.com
Old 05-18-2003, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default ttt

ttt
Old 05-18-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Like Pops said "Help a newbe succeed" I am new to RC Racing and without Pops taking the time to help me (several times) my car would most likely be for sale on Ebay by now.

The Swap Meet is a good idea too. I would love to see a couple here at our club races. This hobby can hit the pocket book big time, any chance to save a buck or two is good thing.

I think the most important thing is the way you conduct yourself at the track. My first race I was very nervous. The guys at RC Comp made me feel welcome and at ease.

I am hooked now, learning more and more every day. I know I will pass on what I have learned from Pops and others to the first Newbe I meet.

Take your famlies to the track, spend some quality time with your son/daughter, meet new friends and most of all always have fun.
Others will see what you are doing and hit you up. Let them know what a great hobby you have.

Thanks Pops and everyone else on this board.

John
Old 05-31-2003, 07:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Beer at the track

I didn't know they allowed it at the Snowbirds. Can't police what people do in their rooms I guess.

I raced at a couple tracks that allowed it, ONE TIME. At the one track the stupid fools couldn't even drive the cars in the main. Ran into people and laughed about it. Trouble was a few of these knotheads were the trackowners. At the other place the trackowner was so drunk by the time of the mains he spent more time singing on the microphone than announcing. Alcohol and competition can be a disastous combination and have no business in RC racing. That's all you need is some dunce who had a few too many and wants to pick a fight over something that happened on the track. Any track that is so desperate to allow it ought to be bulldozed. It's just stupid.

Working with new racers and schmoozing with interested spactators, taking time to answer their questions in a simple and inviting way keeps new racers and entices potential racers.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Guys;

In addition to my previous comments, I believe that HIGH Visibility to the general public will generate interest. Flyer's or Business Cards advertising a Local Hobby Store at the track are nice to have on hand.

Also what I see in my local area is too many tracks competing for the same racers on any given weekend. Great for the racers, but not so great for the Guy who is just trying to break even with his race program. Some of these Guys may need to sit down and work out their schedules together.