Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Carpet Racing in the Steel City - NEW Track! >

Carpet Racing in the Steel City - NEW Track!

Carpet Racing in the Steel City - NEW Track!

Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Carpet Racing in the Steel City - NEW Track!

Please post R/C Car Racing comments, suggestions or questions about carpet racing at Steel City Hobbies, Pittsburgh PA here!
Steel City is building a state-of-the-art track to be located in Pittsburgh, PA - central to all of the North East. Track is 40' x 92' sub floor covered with FastTrack™ Ozite carpet. Pit area holds 90 with ease and up to 115 on larger events. For more information and pictures, check out www.steelcityhobbies.com.
Attached Thumbnails Carpet Racing in the Steel City - NEW Track!-mrr_0038.jpg  
Old 06-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Sounds like a winner. Looking good.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Flooring

Gentlemen,We have all the floor jouistes made,picking up flooring tomorrow then we can start putting it all togeather,this part is going to take time,but We'll get it DONE.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mike,

That looks really similar to the SNOWBIRDS floor...

What are you guys using? 2x4's or 2x2's?

GOOD LUCK - looks like quite a project...
Old 06-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Flooring

Were useing two 2x4 on end with 7/16 obs between them,this makes it like a steel beam.Were starting to lay plywood today.I an Chuck want to THANK Slaz,Connor,JW.BRIAN,GEORGE ROB.ALLEN for all there help on Thursday.Today Friday Chuck,Rob and I worked some more on track.There should be some pictures posted soon.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Up Date

We have about 1/3 of the flooring down and started on the next layer of wood so we have a place to store the carpet.We work on Daytona international at S.C.H of Pa.Thanks to Tony,Rob.JW,Chuck And I.Oh I forgot NITRO helped carry 2 sheets of plywood Thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Track up date

We have 3/4 of the plywood down if everything goes right we should have it all down on Saturday then we can start on the second layer.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up First Layer

We have about six more sheets of plywood to put down to finish the frist floor.I have about 1/4 of the next layer if everything goes as planned the whole floor should be down.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Little Daytona @ SCH

R.C.ers We have a couple of sheets of the second layer to install,then it's time for the seam sealler,were moveing right along.Just think it will not be long and well be RACEING.Chuck & I would like to thank Tony,JW,John Laymam for all there help on Saturday
Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I discovered this thread, and thus the track and your web site, several weeks ago while researching life in Pittsburgh on the web. My wife's career may take us there next summer, and I'm VERY excited to find out such an amazing R/C facility exists there!

I was wondering, does Steel City allow practice on that amazing track when it's not a race day? One of the things that's a drag about carpet cars is you can't just run 'em at home for fun - if we moved there I'd love to know I could hang out at someplace like Steel City in my free time and turn laps (or help newbies set up their cars, etc.).

Congrats on the amazing accomplishment and keep up the awesome work!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Keep us updated on photos...
Old 07-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Default UpDate

Thanks for the post John!

Yes, the track is open 7 days a week. We have club memberships that enable you to run every day for an unlimited amount of time. We have scheduled races on Saturdays which turn out to be a lot of fun. We are working on different programs for all types of racing - which is cool for the beginner to the advanced. We use the latest AMB system so you can check your lap times as well - even when it is not a race day. We are finishing up the new track and hope to be up and running in about two weeks or so.
Keep posted! We will update the pictures in a day or two.
MR

Originally Posted by khyron View Post
I discovered this thread, and thus the track and your web site, several weeks ago while researching life in Pittsburgh on the web. My wife's career may take us there next summer, and I'm VERY excited to find out such an amazing R/C facility exists there!

I was wondering, does Steel City allow practice on that amazing track when it's not a race day? One of the things that's a drag about carpet cars is you can't just run 'em at home for fun - if we moved there I'd love to know I could hang out at someplace like Steel City in my free time and turn laps (or help newbies set up their cars, etc.).

Congrats on the amazing accomplishment and keep up the awesome work!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes, the track is open 7 days a week. We have club memberships that enable you to run every day for an unlimited amount of time. We have scheduled races on Saturdays which turn out to be a lot of fun. We are working on different programs for all types of racing - which is cool for the beginner to the advanced. We use the latest AMB system so you can check your lap times as well - even when it is not a race day.
I can see from the web site that the new track is in full effect these days, looks awesome! My wife has an interview in Pittsburgh next month, so who knows, perhaps next year I will get to race with you guys!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Post LAST DAY at SCH - Bridgeville GS

LAST DAY at SCH - Bridgeville GS

Monday, March 31, 2008 is the LAST day that the store will be open at the Bridgeville Great Southern Shopping Center.

Hours - 10am till 8pm.

SCH will continue with on-line sales only - for the near future. Check back with www.steelcityhobbies.com for updates, great deals, etc.

SCH website will continue to host R/C stories and events for the coming year.

Thank you again!