R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Racing Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum-6/)
-   -   Video Games On CBS TV as a Sport (https://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/142364-video-games-cbs-tv-sport.html)

Jspeed 12-30-2006 12:36 PM

Video Games On CBS TV as a Sport

Video Games Make CBSTV Before RC Does.

For anyone that thinks that RC racing is not a Sport, check out CBS’s Saturday Sports Spectacular. Its called “Video Game Superstars”

As I start this thread, I’m watching a TV show on “Professional Video Gamers”, I can’t believe it! It’s ridiculous and yet it’s on TV. They’re doing interviews and stories about what they’re calling a “Sport” They say it takes hard work and dedication to be a “video superstar”.

I say that everyone RC racer should consider themselves a RC Racing Professional from now on.

If you guys ever want to see RC Racing on TV and treated with respect by industries we have to start today. RC Racing is a Sport, say it, believe it, promote it, don’t take “no” for an answer.

Stop calling it a “hobby”, a hobby is collecting stamps or coins or beanie babies. If stamps could race it would be a sport too.

On behalf of RC Pro, I am outraged that RC racing didn’t get there 1st.

As the Director of Event Marketing for RC Pro, I hope we’ll stand as one voice to show the world that RC Racing is a Sport.

STARTING 2007 RC RACING IS A SPORT!

jiml 12-31-2006 07:01 AM

Jspeed, I understand your fustration, but you're overreacting and making things worse.

Rather than argue, consider this perspective. How many people camped outside their local hobby shop for 3 days awaiting the release of the X-Ray T2'007?

Jspeed 12-31-2006 08:03 AM

Video

Jim,

This is not an argument:)

I started this thread to shed light on the fact that the American media is desperately searching for sporting activities to offer to advertisers as an exciting new vehicle to promote their “Brands” & “Services”.

They search for lower cost alternatives to more expensive sports like Football or Baseball or Basketball. The media giants will try any sport at this point. This year we’ve seen: Rock Paper Scissors, Eating, Elimination Blackjack and now Video Game Championships. What’s next, Thumb Wrestling?

RC Pro is working for a change in the general public's perception of our Sport.

F. Mendoza 12-31-2006 08:35 AM

I think that someone in R/C has to have a connection with somebody in TV or a public figure. They can get a foot in the door before the average Joe.

Other consideration would be to raise money via RCTech. Save it in a account (say Futureal's) and once enough is raised. RCTech has forty thousand members, allegedly. If ten thousand of us chipped in $5. That's fifty grand. Would that be enough to get a late night show? It doesn't have to be primetime. Buy a thirty minute timeslot on TV to get the ball rolling. If it is a success, then the sponsers and big companies would pick up the show. I don't know the particulars but it is a thought. I'm on the gilatine, chop if you must. :) :confused: :(

mxrich 12-31-2006 08:54 AM

Man, I worried over that same thing for years. Besides r/c I've been an mx racer since the '60's. I could never figure out why in the !!!@#% they would put skating and golf on TV when they could have MOTOCROSS! I really think it would be more exciting to rotate dishes than to watch the latest fad sport they keep putting in the Olympics. Yes, they actually tried to get "tiddlywinks" in there. R/C has to suffer through until something happens from an inside manager or if they can see a $ in their future. Just have fun and don't worry too much. At least we have two TV shows right now. Well, one and a half anyway. InsideRC is cool but Radio control hobbies has gotten kind of lame here lately, when you can find it. Remember when Speed channel was about racing? Now it's movies and bolt-on infomercials. And of course NASCAR.

jiml 01-01-2007 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Jim,

This is not an argument:)

Aw man why not? :D

Television coverage comes down to one thing, money. And the more popular something is, the more money networks can make on it. Just look at the news coverage of the release of Playstation 3. RC racing doesn't get that kind of coverage because not as many people are interested in it.

More perspective: How many RC tracks are near you? How many golf courses are near you? :eek:

Look I agree, RC racing should be getting more coverage than it is. But it's a tough sell. Just not that many people find it interesting.

Jspeed 01-02-2007 11:00 AM

Video

JimL,

Golf pays the Pro Cash.

R/C racing will too.

hpipro321 01-02-2007 03:55 PM

JimL,

Golf pays the Pro Cash.

R/C racing will too.

Golf pays
rc dosent (excludes Ryan C.)

Jspeed 01-03-2007 02:58 AM

Video Games On CBS

It’s up to you.

If you want to see the Sport change for the better, it will.

RC Pro

dodgeguy 01-03-2007 06:10 AM

The reason video games are on is because someone is making a bunch of money on it. And they hope that these geeks run out and buy the game they are using. So they can have a dream of one day winning the world Geek Championship of Video Games. :ha: I bet we see a few more of these video game show by the end of the year. This

jiml 01-03-2007 08:09 AM

JimL,

Golf pays the Pro Cash.

R/C racing will too.

But will RC racing pay a million dollars?

F. Mendoza 01-03-2007 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jiml
But will RC racing pay a million dollars?

Doubt it, at least not any time soon.

KyLayfield 01-03-2007 12:20 PM

I wish RC Racing had a purse to win. We have 10 "Nationals", yet all of them are just racing for bowling trophies and advertisement purposes. I wouldn't mind paying more on the entry fee knowing that a certain % of drivers were going to get to take home some money. Save the door prizes, we want cash winnings!

RC Pro 1 01-03-2007 03:15 PM

RC Pro pays out money at division races. It's based on how many are in a class and can go as high as $200 to win.

jiml 01-03-2007 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by KyLayfield
I wish RC Racing had a purse to win. We have 10 "Nationals", yet all of them are just racing for bowling trophies and advertisement purposes. I wouldn't mind paying more on the entry fee knowing that a certain % of drivers were going to get to take home some money. Save the door prizes, we want cash winnings!

ROAR has a strict prohibition on racing for money.

A couple of tracks I've been to tried payouts in the form of merchandise certificates, much the way slot car racing does. Didn't work.

The RC Pro Series has a good idea, but it's not generating a big bump in popularity for RC.

Let's face facts. RC racing just isn't that popular. This holiday season if you went into any department store you would have found some sort of Texas Holdem starter kit. And they sold a bunch of them. The video game industry is hundreds of times the size of RC. Can you imagine waiting on line for 3 days to buy the latest RC kit, and then selling it on e-bay for 10 times what you paid for it? When that happens, that's when CBS Sports will do a feature on RC.

Until then, be lucky you have a place to race.