SLCF1 - Salt Lake City F1 Championship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SLCF1 - Salt Lake City F1 Championship

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Initiate

My chances of going are higher if it was on a weeknight. Saturday is best for promotion of course. Like... ummm... Thursday? Saturday's are going to suck until after the hollidays. Plus I'm getting my nephews involved and will need a night to start them out. They are brand new to r/c but play PS2 so I'm not worried that much. So maybe all of us could run on a Thursday or Tuesday... anyone?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

well,pulled the ol F103RS out of the closet the other day and blew 4 years of dust off of it....decided to bring it back to life.since the front tires were junk and we have to run F201 tires in our series anyway some engineering was on the menu. converting the rear end can be done rather easy useing 3RACING parts. however, the front end was going to be a challange.after a night of cutting,grinding,sanding and swearing i have figured out a way to make it work.the problem that ive ran into is the over all width is 3/16 to 1/4 wider then what it was origanally. because the F201 tires are taller you need it to be wider or at full turn they rub the front wing....at the width i have now ive got 1/8 of clearance between the wing and tire at full turn. i could probably narrow the width of the front tires another 1/8 max but would rather not for fear of weekening parts. so would this chassis be legal for our series or should i scrap the project?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

well,pulled the ol F103RS out of the closet the other day and blew 4 years of dust off of it....
Are the planets aligning? Post some pictures! This homebrew conversion would be cool to see. I believe it is legal. Have to hear from Frederico but I'm pretty sure.

BTW, thanks for starting the order with 3racing order with Tony. He's putting it in Sunday so everyone put in your order now. I guess that the rock climbers like some 3racing stuff too.

I met Aaron at WVH the other night, a nice guy and Tamiya nut, who moved from Aliso Viejo and owns a F103GT and I think he said F1 too. Hopefully he'll come and join us for a little Porsche Cup and SLCF1 Championship.

Last edited by slcf1; 12-15-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

so where the heck is our new president.....
Old 12-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got the word from alphacat that you guys are coming to his race in April to show everyone how to do the 45 minute races on Saturday! If so I can't wait. This will be one serious event for F1 racers. Let's do it!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Oh, and good to see you guys on rctech also.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slcf1
We really debated heavily 3 years ago the introduction of 4WD F1 cars but the benefit has been that most of the newcomers could readily drive something that felt the same as their TC. Plus Tamiya wasn't going to release a new F104. So our numbers have doubled since the introduction of the F201 but most of us diehards have always loved the challenge of direct-drive F1 cars.
I'm with you, I thought it was an insult at first to have a 4wd F1. But since we race at different tracks including parkinglots spectators only see the body and it draws a crowd just being F1. Now I have an MLP 4wd to race and love it! I still get one of the 2wd's out from time to time to make some laps.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

April is a horrible time for me to take off this year. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to travel out. Thanks for the invite and you are welcome to join us during the season if you come out this way.

76 days until the season begins!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by T.KENDALL
so where the heck is our new president.....
He's busting his tail at the new job. He'll make an appearance soon enough.

It will be an interesting F1 season with direct-drive back in the mix. March is around the corner and we'll be battling it out again. Can't wait to see the new teams. Red Bull with #1 on the car? Clete is #2? Oh man, can you believe that? Renault is complete again with Owen on board. Toyota is formidable with Ryan and Paul. Tony Huber at Williams but will a teammate emerge? Ferrari is still Anthony. Fred is without a team... Williams maybe? BMW Sauber is back with the Fulkersons. Billy has BAR and has made major improvements. I thought we'd pick up another team but I saw the F201 kit for sale but perhaps they will come through.

There are probably several F201 rollers out there if anyone is looking to join an exciting series to race in.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Man if I could come up with even one pitiful excuse I would head that way to race with you guys. Like you though I'm covered up with stuff and can barly get to the races sometimes. We are getting the F1 AllStar tour schedule ready though for 2007 so everyone can attend more of the races. I like that you are having 2wd's coming back also. That should make it interesting.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

How are you bringing back the 2wd's into the races? Will they be a seperate class or together? Here we race them together with ROAR stock motors on the d-drives and 19T with the 4wd's. It seems to work very well as far as laptimes. The deciding factor is always pilot skill and setup on most races. Of course there is the thing about some tracks working with rubber and not foam and tracks that are just the opposite.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mxrich
How are you bringing back the 2wd's into the races? Will they be a seperate class or together? Here we race them together with ROAR stock motors on the d-drives and 19T with the 4wd's. It seems to work very well as far as laptimes. The deciding factor is always pilot skill and setup on most races. Of course there is the thing about some tracks working with rubber and not foam and tracks that are just the opposite.
The d-drive cars will be quicker in a straight line so I'm not sure what we'll end up doing to even the playing field. F201's run 23T right now and I would guess that even a 540 would be in the ballpark against it. The d-drive will have a big advantage on run time so we'll have to factor that into the final equation.

We only blow off the dust and rocks on our tracks. Putting down artificial traction goes against the SLCF1 grain. But like you choosing the right tire is everything. I chose the wrong front tires and it cost me the championship this last season in the last race. We want everyone to feel like they have a chance if they drive and pit well so most of the decisions are based on that concept.

We'll post our findings come March.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds like a plan. I guess that's the hard part here though. With cars like the Hyperdrive and Corally they won't even work at some tracks like Huntsville, Al. Its a closed tennis court and a very nice track but foams will not work there. On the other side is Calhoun, Ga where foam is they only way to go to run fast. Then all the other tracks on the tour which are six of one and halfdozen of another you know. It just depends on temp, if it's clean or how much traction stuff they put down. It makes every race at a new track an adventure in setups. If we could find adapters for all the d-drives it would be simple for everyone to use F201 wheels or touring foams depending on where we are. But hey, it's all racing right! Makes for great stories at the end of year banquet. Let me know if the 23T vs 540 works out. The 19T vs Stock has been good for us so far. It allowed the new GP2 class (4-cell F1) to form to give everyone a second class to race in. Keep Making Laps!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Why not just put everyone on the same tires? Do something simple like Tamiya A's and B's... Wouldn't that solve everything? If everyone is on the same tire then the track conditions are the same.

If all the F201 runners didn't have a wide mix of tire right now I would suggest mandating only two compounds with the same inserts. Some races one has an advantage but never two races in a row. We set up the track the day of so no one has "home court" advantage. No surface prep other than blowing it off. No saucing of tires. Everyone has more or less equal traction. I really like racing this way because you find the sliding and hitting the slip angle a lot faster.

You have multiple chassis out there so I understand it's not that simple. So put everyone on green foams or something that would make it easy and simple. What are the lengths and number of rounds you run?

Too many TC races look like slot cars to me. They look and drive awesome but not everyone can drive and tune a car to those speeds. In fact most blow apart their cars hitting everything because they have no time to react. Plus the gap between cars is huge which isn't very cool. A TC sprint car would blow up in our type of racing. So the motors are mellow, the traction is limited to tire and surface temps, and the formula stays the same for everyone so the gap between first and last remains close. The series is fun this way with everyone more focused on having a good time racing well.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Putting everyone on the same tire would be the answer no doubt. The trick is, with the Corally's, Hyperdrives, HPI's etc,etc,. These all use the pancar 1/10th foam. Now, I was told that the capped radial reds would work on hot days for roadcourse so we may test that. It would be nice if it worked since some surfaces on the tour will not grab foam for any reason (Huntsville, AL for one). What would be ideal would be if someone had a adapter to use the F201 wheels on these cars. Marty said that Cobra has one to use the pancar foam on the F201 cars which is great when they need foam but we have been letting everyone use touring foam since it is so available. Lots of tracks mean different setups I guess but so far it is working. Ill keep you posted on any new findings we have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.