Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Help me come up with fun race formats >

Help me come up with fun race formats

Like Tree17Likes

Help me come up with fun race formats

Old 03-01-2024, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

not sure how well it would work for off road, it's really more of an on road idea but ill throw it out there anyway just for the sake of conversation.
a class that is concourse judged, and every car is given points based on looks, "realism", creativity, etc. then you race and are awarded points based on finishing position. then the points are averaged out and the person/car with the most points wins.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by El_Rando
not sure how well it would work for off road, it's really more of an on road idea but ill throw it out there anyway just for the sake of conversation.
a class that is concourse judged, and every car is given points based on looks, "realism", creativity, etc. then you race and are awarded points based on finishing position. then the points are averaged out and the person/car with the most points wins.
Some big VTA races have a separate prize for winning concourse. I could possibly see it for SCT. But it would probably add costs. As some of these well painted bodies are $$$. And most probably would keep them for pictures/podium only. I’ve raced with a few that have “podium only” bodies in on road.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
We used to have rocket racing with no quals. Essentially triple mains with top 2 rounds combined and tie breaker to fastest run. 3 rows of cars rotating each round so everyone gets a chance to start on the first row once so if 6 racers in the heat, then 2 cars per row, if 12 racers then 4 cars per row.

Another thing our club did was a "consistency series" so where you finished didn't matter, it was scored by your consistency and this actually promoted squeaky clean driving!
We did this Friday night. We let the software randomly set the first starting order, then the second round started in round one finishing order, then round 3 started in inverted finishing order of round 2. Everyone seemed to like it!
Old 03-04-2024, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by 0010
We did this Friday night. We let the software randomly set the first starting order, then the second round started in round one finishing order, then round 3 started in inverted finishing order of round 2. Everyone seemed to like it!
Glad to hear it!

I personally don't care for it because it tends to create mass mayhem in the first corner, depending on who is seeded in the row behind me, I would tend to opt to start in a "4th row" and then sift through the gaggle of cars which often would help me get into lead position on the first lap, ha!
Old 03-05-2024, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Glad to hear it!

I personally don't care for it because it tends to create mass mayhem in the first corner, depending on who is seeded in the row behind me, I would tend to opt to start in a "4th row" and then sift through the gaggle of cars which often would help me get into lead position on the first lap, ha!
We didn't line up side by side, for exactly the reason you said, we used our normal starting grid. We didn't do any qualifying, just let the computer set the starting order for the first round, then I rearranged the order for the other two rounds. But everyone liked it.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2024, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by 0010
We didn't line up side by side, for exactly the reason you said, we used our normal starting grid. We didn't do any qualifying, just let the computer set the starting order for the first round, then I rearranged the order for the other two rounds. But everyone liked it.

Thanks!
I like that variant much better, we haven't had Wed night racing in over a year so this format isn't a thing in my area anymore, but if they ever start back up with the no-qual-rocket I'll be sure to suggest your modification!