• 1 Post By Zerodefect
  • 1 Post By gigaplex
  • 1 Post By Zerodefect

Starting Grid question

Old 11-03-2023, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Starting Grid question

I got into racing about 3+ years ago and was sparked by this picture from the Top Gun Shootout track reveal today (photo credit: Team Associated on Facebook)

How come the starting grids have been single file? As a fan of full size racing, I've been used to double file starting grids, but every RC race, electric especially, with I think one exception, the cars line up single file and then proceed single file off the tone. Is there a particular reason this has been commonly accepted as opposed to double file starts like the big cars do?
Old 11-03-2023, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Local preference. Often connected with narrow tracks. On our track, starting grid is double file.
Old 11-03-2023, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Still too close together. Pile up in turn 1.

Hopefully they don't waste all day qualifying, like some tracks.
Goof likes this.
Old 11-04-2023, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Drivers of big cars tend to crash a lot less than drivers of toy cars. Also big cars typically don't do standing starts. Have you ever tried a rolling start in RC racing where everyone keeps their position for 1 lap? Almost impossible.

Around here most classes are single file, like Zero said otherwise there's a crash in the first turn that takes out several cars.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GerryH
Drivers of big cars tend to crash a lot less than drivers of toy cars. Also big cars typically don't do standing starts. Have you ever tried a rolling start in RC racing where everyone keeps their position for 1 lap? Almost impossible.

Around here most classes are single file, like Zero said otherwise there's a crash in the first turn that takes out several cars.
Pretty much every full scale race I've seen has a standing start. IndyCar and NASCAR are the two notable exceptions I know of.
Zerodefect likes this.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I raced at the ROCCK in Knoxville, TN a couple weeks back and they stagger their grid diagonally every 3 positions... while I raced with the expert group we didn't experience any issues at the start of the mains and we pretty much fell into a single file line regardless. I noticed that the sportsman group was literally everyone trying to win the race at the first corner and the stagger grid enabled more aggressive driving where everyone was blown up on the first corner.

The vast majority of tracks I've raced will line up in single file and I believe it's for a good reason. My preference is to remain in single file and only make a move to pass if the guy ahead makes a mistake, otherwise it's to everyone's benefit to keep it clean.

I don't go back to race at any tracks with too many aggressive drivers or an RD who won't call a stop and go for a hack. I keep a detailed race log and have "black-balled" a couple tracks over the years, ironically these tracks tend to go out of business anyway... shrug
Old 11-04-2023, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Races without wide spread grids, should skip qualifying.

Just start the race with every car in turn 1, up side down, with a single drunk blindfolded marshal flipping them.

It's amazing how ignorant some tracks are. 6 hours of BS qualifying ruined by one lame grid.

There are strategies to deal with stupid grids. Brake early, let the guys ahead of you get speared by the dive bomber behind you. Fake turning in early. Monkey see, monkey do. The guy behind you clips the inside pipe.
Goof likes this.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Single file is actually better then staggered. It stops people from gunning it out of control thinking there is nothing in front of them and then not braking early enough.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We usually stagger start for the main. however, you arenít forced to be staggered, some people line up directly behind someone but I think thatís mostly tied to start position and turn 1. Q2 is a stagger start BUT you go when your name is called, and Q1 starts after the buzz and after you cross the start. Technically you could park on Q1 and run one fast lap never seen anyone actually delay their start. Only seen some end early :P

as someone else said sportsman tend to think itís a one lap race but if the start is that bad, in any class, the RD can call a reset before the first lap is done. If it gets to a third restart then ďoh well but we canít be here all nightĒ.

also hello so cal person! We hosted the top gun carpet track in nor cal.