Power station instead of Generator for RC racing >

Power station instead of Generator for RC racing

Like Tree24Likes

Power station instead of Generator for RC racing

Old 10-15-2023, 04:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
We've nuked a few Rc chargers trying to charge real car batteries. Could be a program issue, but I think that the engineers that designed olde RC chargers didn't take lead acid use seriously.
Why would a lead acid battery put more of a strain on the charger? It's only around 3S-4S voltage and the charge rates aren't particularly high.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:21 AM
Tech Champion

I thinks it's just the dwell/cycle time or something.

I ain't guinea pigging it again after witnessing a few chargers nuke for absolutely no reason.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:29 AM
Tech Champion

I've had to use my iCharger a couple of times to charge my car battery. Never had an issue.
Zerodefect likes this.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

The Junsi ichargers are no joke. I love my duo.

Actually get to use my 1990 era discharge light bulbs again.
jiml likes this.
Old 10-15-2023, 11:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW
Except a battery won't change the voltage which it supplies. I think you are mixing up a few things here. While you can certainly use watt hours as a unit here as well, in the case of a battery, with a (for this purpose) fixed voltage, it's easier to just use amp hours - but regardless, the result will be the same. It doesn't matter if you draw 20A for 30 minutes or 10A for 60 minutes. You use up the same amount of "juice" both times, because you do double the load for only half the time. 2x0.5 is still 1.
Originally Posted by gigaplex
But you're not just going to turn it on and let it run all day. Charging at 10A your battery might be charged in half an hour, and at 1A it'll be charged in 5 hours. You'll still get the same number of race packs charged off the lead acid battery regardless of the charge rate.
The point is, whether you're using a battery or a power station (which is essentially battery powered) you have a fixed capacity. So if you double the charge current, you will cut the amount of time you have left in half. Someone posted their power station didn't last as long as they thought it would, but indicated they were charging at 20 amps. Higher charge current means you're using up your capacity faster.

This is moot if you're using plug in power or a generator. Here you have an unlimited capacity, unless there's a power failure or the generator runs out of gas.
Old 10-15-2023, 11:33 AM
Tech Lord

The Junsi ichargers are no joke. I love my duo.

Actually get to use my 1990 era discharge light bulbs again.
I brought my 4010 ten years ago used. I even figured out how to update it so I have an LiHV mode. I love this thing.
Zerodefect likes this.
Old 10-15-2023, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
The point is, whether you're using a battery or a power station (which is essentially battery powered) you have a fixed capacity. So if you double the charge current, you will cut the amount of time you have left in half. Someone posted their power station didn't last as long as they thought it would, but indicated they were charging at 20 amps. Higher charge current means you're using up your capacity faster.

This is moot if you're using plug in power or a generator. Here you have an unlimited capacity, unless there's a power failure or the generator runs out of gas.
Again, it will use up the capacity faster, if measured by time, yes. But you can charge exactly the same number of batteries to the same level, regardless of the Amps you use to do so. Nothing else was claimed.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

The things you're charging from that source also have a fixed capacity. You're only going to use that source capacity faster if you end up charging more race packs from that source in the same amount of time.
Old 10-15-2023, 05:25 PM
Tech Champion

You're just pouring energy from one bucket to another bucket.

It doesn't matter much, how fast you go, as long as you don't spill any.

The chargers job is to slow the process down, limit it within lipo specs, and provide correct voltage, from incorrect voltage source.
jiml and gigaplex like this.
Old 10-15-2023, 11:26 PM
Tech Lord

Someone posted their power station didn't last as long as they thought it would, but indicated they were charging at 20 amps. Higher charge current means you're using up your capacity faster.
Then that guy had a bad powerstation. Higher current loads have an effect on the output voltage and if a battery is bad the output voltage will drop much quicker than with a lower current.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

We've nuked a few Rc chargers trying to charge real car batteries. Could be a program issue, but I think that the engineers that designed olde RC chargers didn't take lead acid use seriously.
I use my Polaron EX to charge it car batteries often. Never had any issues.
Zerodefect and gigaplex like this.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:31 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The things you're charging from that source also have a fixed capacity. You're only going to use that source capacity faster if you end up charging more race packs from that source in the same amount of time.
You're just pouring energy from one bucket to another bucket.

It doesn't matter much, how fast you go, as long as you don't spill any.

The chargers job is to slow the process down, limit it within lipo specs, and provide correct voltage, from incorrect voltage source.
Oh wait I get it

Although you're charging the pack at twice the current, the pack will charge up in half the time. So the supply power will last the same amount of time.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Oh wait I get it

Although you're charging the pack at twice the current, the pack will charge up in half the time. So the supply power will last the same amount of time.
Batteries don't contain time.

A car battery can charge 10 airplane batteries. No matter how fast or slow you go.

The faster you move the energy, the faster you drain the car battery. But it's still 10 batteries.

(Although very fast, means more charger heat, and wasted energy, so maybe just 9 batteries)
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:23 AM
Tech Lord

Batteries contain current-time, so there is a time factor

And I'm glad you brought up what happens at higher charging currents. I was going to but didn't want to start another argument
Old 10-18-2023, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Batteries contain current-time, so there is a time factor

And I'm glad you brought up what happens at higher charging currents. I was going to but didn't want to start another argument
Current is coulombs per second, or in other words rate of transfer of charge. "Current-time" is just a bunch of coulombs. No inherent time factor .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.