Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Power station instead of Generator for RC racing >

Power station instead of Generator for RC racing

Like Tree24Likes

Power station instead of Generator for RC racing

Old 07-21-2023, 06:54 AM
  #16  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (33)
 
Mac The Knife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 736
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

If you're just charging off of it, the battery is all you need. But the original post was asking for a comparison between a generator and a powerstation. The cumbersome part is when you add an inverter, cables and charger for your deep cycle battery.
Mac The Knife is offline  
Old 07-21-2023, 09:28 AM
  #17  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
jasburrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The 70s
Posts: 674
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

My advice is buy something like this. https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-w...ogy-59135.html. me and my buds all have them. I have gas engines around the house that are over 50 years old. Batterys are junk items that do not last. Throw away items. I replace batterys in My full size cars, rc cars, quads, boats, snowmobiles ect constantly. I would never trust a battery powered gen in the cold of mi.
jasburrito is offline  
Old 07-21-2023, 10:40 AM
  #18  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,043
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jasburrito
I would never trust a battery powered gen in the cold of mi.
Do you often pit / race in the cold of Michigan?
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 07-23-2023, 09:05 PM
  #19  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,350
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

I have used a 300w small and portable power station for some parking lot racing a few years ago. I was able to run two classes (that ran on 2s lipo) with 2 quals, 1 main, and some practice. I was just topping them off and not doing any full drain/full charge cycles and just charging at around 10 amps. It was extremely convenient for basic needs.

It was plenty for the day and still had some power left. With 4s batteries, 500w may not be enough. 800w+ would be better. But like others said, the cheapest is just running off of a main battery.
Dan is offline  
Old 07-24-2023, 01:41 AM
  #20  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,324
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
I have used a 300w small and portable power station for some parking lot racing a few years ago. I was able to run two classes (that ran on 2s lipo) with 2 quals, 1 main, and some practice. I was just topping them off and not doing any full drain/full charge cycles and just charging at around 10 amps. It was extremely convenient for basic needs.

It was plenty for the day and still had some power left. With 4s batteries, 500w may not be enough. 800w+ would be better. But like others said, the cheapest is just running off of a main battery.
Do you mean Wh? Watts is just the rate of power delivery, it's not capacity.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 07-24-2023, 08:46 AM
  #21  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,350
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Yep Wh.
Dan is offline  
Old 07-24-2023, 09:13 AM
  #22  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
jasburrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The 70s
Posts: 674
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yup

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
Do you often pit / race in the cold of Michigan?
Ya. Most of the flying fields have winter fun flys. We heat the batterys on the dash of our cars. The power output if they get cold is terrible. Can only igmagine how bad the performance of lipo powered gen is. Whats your oldest battery? Do you charge it often? Do think the battery will work in 10 years? Jackery bats are only rated for 2 to 3 years.
Reviews show that peeps have performance problems at about 1 1/2 years.

Last edited by jasburrito; 07-24-2023 at 09:29 AM.
jasburrito is offline  
Old 07-24-2023, 02:37 PM
  #23  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,208
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jasburrito
My advice is buy something like this. https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-w...ogy-59135.html. me and my buds all have them. I have gas engines around the house that are over 50 years old. Batterys are junk items that do not last. Throw away items. I replace batterys in My full size cars, rc cars, quads, boats, snowmobiles ect constantly. I would never trust a battery powered gen in the cold of mi.
That's funny my buddy just brought this exact generator. Generators are expensive, that's why I stay with batteries. But you're right batteries have a relatively short life span compared to a generator. Plus the generator has other uses. If you have the coin get the generator. But a battery will work
jiml is offline  
Old 10-09-2023, 06:46 PM
  #24  
Tech Champion
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 5,620
Default

I use a semi truck battery to power my charger and heater.

I have a fully potted charger connected to it. So when I plug in, it's pretty much a UPS. When ya'll pop the breaker, I'll be the only one on a fully cycled and charged battery.

Zerodefect is offline  
Old 10-10-2023, 06:28 AM
  #25  
Tech Adept
 
oldfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I use a semi truck battery...
What does it weigh?
oldfool is offline  
Old 10-10-2023, 08:20 AM
  #26  
Tech Champion
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 5,620
Default

I'd guess about 50#.

Outdoor racing, I connect my charger to it, in the bed of my truck. Not at my table. Charge on my tailgate.

Indoors, after I have unloaded my roller tool box, I can go back and get it with my bottom roll box. I could switch to a smaller battery at anytime. A group 26 weighs nothing, and fits inside my box.
Zerodefect is offline  
Old 10-10-2023, 09:28 AM
  #27  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,043
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I'd guess about 50#.

Outdoor racing, I connect my charger to it, in the bed of my truck. Not at my table. Charge on my tailgate.

Indoors, after I have unloaded my roller tool box, I can go back and get it with my bottom roll box. I could switch to a smaller battery at anytime. A group 26 weighs nothing, and fits inside my box.
How do you charge it?
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 10-11-2023, 11:40 AM
  #28  
Tech Champion
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 5,620
Default



I attach one of these, that I got used, to the battery.

Guest makes the same fully potted charger for marine applications. Be careful and read instructions. Thay can't be installed up side down.

So it charges all race day. For air fields, with no AC power, I simply run an extension cord to the bed of my truck when I get home.
Zerodefect is offline  
Old 10-11-2023, 02:03 PM
  #29  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,350
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

I tried this out a couple of weeks ago. It was cute but after 2 heats, I was down to 50% .. to be fair I was charging at 20 amps

DBPOWER Portable Power Station, Peak 350W Backup Lithium Battery 250Wh 110V Pure Sine Wave AC Outlet Solar Generator Supply(Solar Panel Not Included) for Emergency Outdoor Camping Fishing Hunting CPAP https://a.co/d/4wKqZMq

amazon has this generator thatís pretty darn cheap..

Aceup Energy 1,000W Gas-Powered Generator, Portable Generator Camping Ultralight, EPA & CARB Compliant https://a.co/d/9ZULjDw
Raman is offline  
Old 10-11-2023, 02:55 PM
  #30  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,324
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman
I tried this out a couple of weeks ago. It was cute but after 2 heats, I was down to 50% .. to be fair I was charging at 20 amps

DBPOWER Portable Power Station, Peak 350W Backup Lithium Battery 250Wh 110V Pure Sine Wave AC Outlet Solar Generator Supply(Solar Panel Not Included) for Emergency Outdoor Camping Fishing Hunting CPAP https://a.co/d/4wKqZMq

amazon has this generator thatís pretty darn cheap..

Aceup Energy 1,000W Gas-Powered Generator, Portable Generator Camping Ultralight, EPA & CARB Compliant https://a.co/d/9ZULjDw
The charge rate shouldn't matter much, it'll use about the same amount of capacity.
Raman and mrreet2001 like this.
gigaplex is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.