The Link Between Tire Preps and Cancer >

The Link Between Tire Preps and Cancer

Like Tree25Likes

The Link Between Tire Preps and Cancer

Old 03-19-2023, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (94%+)
Default The Link Between Tire Preps and Cancer

So recently I have been Diagnosed with oligodendroglioma grade 3. A rare form of Brian Cancer that doesnít have a cure. Anyway I have Been thinking a lot lately about what could cause it. As cancer doesnít run in my family. I been into the Rc hobby for 20+ years. And have experienced far more tire dope hangovers than actual hangovers from alcohol. Than after doing a little research and noticing more than half the tire prep companies donít offer sds sheets. Or proper warning labels on there bottles. Or even recommended use of ppe. Iím trying to bring awareness to something thatís over looked by so many. If my misfortune can save someone from going through the things Iím having to go through. Itís worthwhile to me. If anyone has ideas on how to bring awareness to this subject please reach out.

Thanks
Tim B
Old 03-19-2023, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I believe Martin Crisp of XXX-Main fame had similar concerns after his diagnosis.

One thing that might help raise awareness is to rally the sanctioning body and ban any products that don't have a SDS. We tried that in Australia but it didn't gain much traction as we aren't a large enough population to influence the manufacturers.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I believe Martin Crisp of XXX-Main fame had similar concerns after his diagnosis.

One thing that might help raise awareness is to rally the sanctioning body and ban any products that don't have a SDS. We tried that in Australia but it didn't gain much traction as we aren't a large enough population to influence the manufacturers.
Thatís going to be the issue here in the states too. To many people donít realize what there using and the harm it can cause. With How big Rc drag racing has gotten itís been a free for all over here state side. And 99% of them tire prep companies are just side hustle guys not even ligit businesses.
RaptorToto likes this.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This is such a bummer.

I grew up in agriculture and spent most of my life either there or around equipment and all the related chemicals.

Seems like if a work related accident didn't kill you the big C will.

Hadn't thought about tire sauce but yeah. Maybe.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Praying for you and your family.
CraigMBA likes this.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tcb22185
So recently I have been Diagnosed with oligodendroglioma grade 3. A rare form of Brian Cancer that doesnít have a cure. Anyway I have Been thinking a lot lately about what could cause it. As cancer doesnít run in my family. I been into the Rc hobby for 20+ years. And have experienced far more tire dope hangovers than actual hangovers from alcohol. Than after doing a little research and noticing more than half the tire prep companies donít offer sds sheets. Or proper warning labels on there bottles. Or even recommended use of ppe. Iím trying to bring awareness to something thatís over looked by so many. If my misfortune can save someone from going through the things Iím having to go through. Itís worthwhile to me. If anyone has ideas on how to bring awareness to this subject please reach out.

Thanks
Tim B

In the USA, it is an OSHA requirement that all companies, who sell or manufacture hazardous materials, must have and SDS on that chemical. So, technically, if a hobby shop sells this stuff, they need to be able to quickly provide and SDS for it. I have been working directly with OSHA regulations for over 15 years and it sucks!

NutDriver likes this.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
In the USA, it is an OSHA requirement that all companies, who sell or manufacture hazardous materials, must have and SDS on that chemical. So, technically, if a hobby shop sells this stuff, they need to be able to quickly provide and SDS for it. I have been working directly with OSHA regulations for over 15 years and it sucks!
Thats the issue. i can give you a list of companies that don't follow this. and when you call them out on it I'm the bad guy I really wish there was a way to go about doing something about it. Having to deal with this isnt any fun. and if there was more awareness i think people would follow suit. you ask all these company's providing prep for drag racing for a sds sheet they can't give you anything about it. because they haven't spent the money to have the sds sheets made. but somehow, I'm the bad guy for asking for the sds sheet. Can we get Osha involved?
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Thats the issue. i can give you a list of companies that don't follow this. and when you call them out on it I'm the bad guy I really wish there was a way to go about doing something about it. Having to deal with this isnt any fun. and if there was more awareness i think people would follow suit. you ask all these company's providing prep for drag racing for a sds sheet they can't give you anything about it. because they haven't spent the money to have the sds sheets made. but somehow, I'm the bad guy for asking for the sds sheet. Can we get Osha involved?
I think this would be out of OSHAís jurisdiction except for with regards to the companies employees that handle the chemical. The EPA would more than likely be in the same scenario as OSHA except being geared towards spills in a production- storage environment. The Consumer Product Safety Commission would be the best route to take in this case as well as a decent attorney which would more than likely refer to the legal doctrine known as the ďstrict product liabilityĒ.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think that the Consumer Products Safety Commission might be the ones who have jurisdiction.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by petersen114
I think this would be out of OSHAís jurisdiction except for with regards to the companies employees that handle the chemical. The EPA would more than likely be in the same scenario as OSHA except being geared towards spills in a production- storage environment. The Consumer Product Safety Commission would be the best route to take in this case as well as a decent attorney which would more than likely refer to the legal doctrine known as the ďstrict product liabilityĒ.
It does sound weird, but OSHA LOVES to be involved in all businesses. Do to employees handling this product, there is a possibility, although quite small, for that employee to be exposed to the chemical. If that happens, the employee must have immediate access to the SDS. There is actually a time limit on how long it should take them to obtain that info.

Here a great example on how messed up OSHA is. They get off on doing inspections and refrigeration plants that uses ammonia as a refrigerant. Ammonia is beyond hazardous. The regulations for ammonia plants are getting so ridiculous, and expensive, that many plants are turning to CO2 as a refrigerant. The only time it is considered as dangerous is if you were in a room with nothing but CO2 and very, very low oxygen, which is beyond a rare occurrence, but is possible if the moon, stars, and pink elephants are aligned just right. Anyhow, OSHA is now coming out with a huge list of regulations and restriction for it, because they feel it is a dangerous chemical.

petersen114 and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

OSHA does offer a snitch line.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default CPSC

CPSC has this: https://www.saferproducts.gov/IncidentReporting
Old 09-27-2023, 01:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

One way would be to develop a traction compound that is safe but better. In my country a lot have migrated to a safe traction compound that is capable of winning.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/goldtc

Cheers!
BP likes this.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

We're already on odorless stuff with no more hangovers.

Wear gloves when you use it.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
We're already on odorless stuff with no more hangovers.

Wear gloves when you use it.
Only up side to the odorless is just that... It doesn't stink, which was the overwhelming complaint at indoor events regarding Paragon and similar compounds that used wintergreen. I personally miss the wintergreen smell - it smelled like racing. I don't believe that the odorless compounds, like SXT, are actually any less harmful to your health.

MSDS snippet for SXT (rated 1-4, the lower the number, the larger the hazard):
Section 2. Hazards Identification OSHA/HCS status: This material is considered hazardous by (OSHA Hazardous Communication Standard (CFR 1910.1200)
Classification of mixture:
Aspiration Hazard Category 1
Physical: not classified
Health: Skin irritation category 3 Serious Eye damage/irritation category
Carcinogenicity category 3 Specific target organ toxicity
Repeated exposure oral: Not Available
Environmental: Not Classified as dangerous
rccartips, gigaplex and Alexv2024 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.