Metal Diff Gears

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gigaplex
  • 1 Post By DirkW

Metal Diff Gears

Old 01-23-2023, 06:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Metal Diff Gears

Are these worth it? Does anybody use them? I have a 3Racing S64 setup for VTA, 25.5 turn motor (HW G3R) 2s battery, 87/48 s/p FDR 3.44:1. Besides longevity and extra weight are these really needed or just hop-up bling and fluff?

Old 01-23-2023, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For a 25.5 motor you're better off with the lightweight plastic gears. Metal gears are for when you're putting a lot of power through the drivetrain.
billdelong likes this.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

+1

Many years ago when I used to race a TEKNO EB410 on turf with a 13.5 motor they had released lightweight plastic diff gears as a performance enhancement for stock racing to help reduce rotating mass... I couldn't tell any difference in performance, my lap times were the same and the gears stripped within 3 race days I went back to the stock steel gears... so in your case I would not upgrade to steel unless you're stripping the plastic gears... for VTA you will more than likely do fine with the plastic gears.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

But Bill, off-road is a totally different story, since every landing after every jump sends a jolt through the whole transmission. There I also only use steel bevel gears and steel pinions. In On-Road however, especially stock classes, any decent quality plastic should work fine within the diff (as do my alu pinions, may even try a composite one some day)
billdelong likes this.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

DirkW, agreed, though if for some strange reason he starts stripping plastic gears due to some sort of phenomenal grip scenario, then the steel gear option would be worth considering, though I bet the plastic gears will do perfectly fine for VTA speeds.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sure, if it should really happen that the plastic gears go down, one might consider a steel replacement, but I doubt that will happen (although I don't have any first hand experience with 3racing plastics - but I've never had any trouble with the plastics in my Xrays).
Old 01-24-2023, 08:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank You for all the reply's! I didn't think I needed them but you never know...