Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying >

Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying

Like Tree74Likes

Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying

Old 11-27-2023, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Letting faster people passed isnít the hard part. Itís getting those to be aware they are laps down. Raced a a lot of different tracks. And theyíre almost always a few that are completely unaware that the field has lapped them. Sometimes more than once. They are only focused on their car/buggy/truck. And have absolutely no idea about anything else going on.
at least where im at, and in my class, the last half of the race starts to get chaotic. Qualifying isn't as bad but it gets confusing. Slower people have their own race while the faster guys start to lap them towards the end. It can get to 4 buggys all trying to get around the same corner/jump trying to pass at different speeds/skills. There's simply no room and you either slow down (hope they crash) or fight for the spot. Again since this is a slower class with lots of driver mistakes, unintentional side-swipes, and lack of car control. Faster classes usually have better etiquette and will wait for people if they caused the crash.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

That's another etiquette thing.

If I'm leaving you plenty of room, for clean passing action, and you still hit me and topple over.

I ain't waiting.

And in Q's, you should never wait. That only leads to more pile ups. Enjoy your lucky break and keep going. The unlucky guy has another Q.
8T and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by staiguy
at least where im at, and in my class, the last half of the race starts to get chaotic. Qualifying isn't as bad but it gets confusing. Slower people have their own race while the faster guys start to lap them towards the end. It can get to 4 buggys all trying to get around the same corner/jump trying to pass at different speeds/skills. There's simply no room and you either slow down (hope they crash) or fight for the spot. Again since this is a slower class with lots of driver mistakes, unintentional side-swipes, and lack of car control. Faster classes usually have better etiquette and will wait for people if they caused the crash.

Had something like that happen to me in a club race a while back. I was on the inside, passing a slower driver. I gave him a car width and a half thereabouts, and as soon as I got alongside him, he just turns into me hard. On a straight. And he looks at me like it was my fault. We weren't fighting for position - I was six places up from him. This had to be explained to him by a club board member who saw it all unfold.

Like, buddy... my car is fluorescent blaze orange. How do you not see me? No apology, just a douchy driver. Next time, he's getting a bill for the parts replacement costs. I don't usually do that, but when there's an egregious lack of respect like that, I'm willing to make an exception.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Some drivers feel the need to get revenge for something you supposedly did to them. But then again I've seen some rookie drivers that just freak out on the straights and think you're going to hit them and steer right into you because they panicked. Doesn't excuse the fact they didn't apologize, which makes me think it's more of the former.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The absolute worst place to yield to a faster driver is the sweeper. At least one of you will not make it.

The best spot is a slow, tight hairpin.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
The absolute worst place to yield to a faster driver is the sweeper. At least one of you will not make it.

The best spot is a slow, tight hairpin.
A lot of the layouts Iíve run. The sweeper is the widest part of the track. And tends to lead into a hairpin turn.

I keep thinking thereís gotta be a better way to let slower know when someone is coming up on them. Some places use drivers name. Fine if you know the others, but as often Iím the outsider and I donít know who Dave is.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

This is an almost impossible question to answer in just one blanket statement. Are we referring regional sized event club or national sized event. Qualifying or racing. There are just to many ways to look at this without getting confused. I'm going to go based off the club level events, as if you are at a regional or national sized event i would hope you have a good understanding of how it all should work.

The hardest part of club racing is the turn out a lot of times you will see a really fast guy matched up in a heat with someone that is new or just doesn't have the car control of the faster guys in the class.
Our track this happens A LOT, we have a small track 50'x30' and we run lap times in the slower classes of about 9 seconds and the foam pan cars are down around 6.3 range so the closure rate in all the classes in absolutely insane at times. As the RD I try to preach that if a faster car comes up on you in qualifying give him some space so he can get by you and continue on both your ways. BUT the faster guy needs to be smart and not force the issue know who you are passing and know what they are capable of. Same goes in racing for the most part for us if a guys lapping you give him space he will get by you but he still needs to be smart about it.

In short, lappers do your best to give the fast guy space. People lapping you have a fast enough car be smart.

P.S. The two/three corner rule may be the dumbest thing I have ever been taught, don't ruins someones run/night because you think you deserve to wreck their car because your 'Faster' smh.